Light-O-Rama Forums

What would you do?

Randy H

As a newbie, I post, seeking the wisdom of the forum. What would you do? This is my situation… I have downloaded the free demo version software and worked with it to get the “feel” of sequencing, animation and some of the other features. I was so exited to jump in and start my first display when…I was informed we aren’t going to be home this Christmas!?*^&(*! (Going to relatives) O well, that just gives me an extra 12 months to plan. So now my burning question. Can I continue to sequence my music with the demo software and when I’m ready (waiting for sales) purchase the LOR II software, controls etc. and import my sequence from the demo version to the new software? Or should I go ahead and get the software now? Considering I have 20 months to get ready. Thanks!

I'm also a newbie ... but was in your same situation just a few months back.

It depends how financially committed you want to become ... and when. But the short answer is YES -- go to S2 now !!

I would personally buy the starter kit, ask (LOR in notes section of order) for them to defer the freebies till you order your controller(s) ... and then get an official copy of LOR I. Then get your free upgrade to S2 (LOR II) downloaded and installed.

I think S2 is WELL worth using "now" and don't know why anyone new to LOR would stay with LOR I unless it was just to save money and defer the purchase till a later time, which I could understand.

The S2 animation window is a lot better, IMHO ... and I also find the Beat Wizard and VU Wizard useful ... or at least useful in providing alternatives to the tapper. Also, the ability to use tracks (for various timings) is pretty huge and the sooner you get used to having these options, the more tools you'll have at your disposal now for createing great sequences.

I can understand how an existing user might not want to risk the possible conversion hassles, but it seems like even with that, most people don't have issues and makign a copy of everything before you start takes away the conversion issues almost completely.

I wonder if Dan is planning on having a demo version of S2. If that is the case you might want to wait for that since you would not need to buy the full version until it is closer to when you may be using it. Only LightORama could answer that.

tom.

I'm a newbie also and I worked with LOR1 between December and February before ordering my first controllers and getting the LOR2 software. I echo Taybrynn's sentiments. Get the new software now. (LOR told me in January that they were planning on releasing a demo version of the new stuff.) IMHO it's leagues better and easier to use, if only for the improved animation window allowing you to set a picture of your house as background. Seeing how the previous version worked in comparison, my hat's really off to the 'old guys' around here for how hard they worked to make their displays what they are. Us newbies are gonna have a much easier time of it.

George

Mountainwxman wrote:

I would buy the software now at 99.95. It could be 199.95 later when the full version comes out.

Just my opinion. :P

Hadn't thought of that! Great advice. I think I will get the software now. Thanks!!

Jeff Millard wrote:

Mountainwxman wrote:
It could be 199.95 later when the full version comes out.

Just my opinion. :D

IMHO It "oughta be" ....

Jeff:D

S2 is worth every penny. But, but... that difference could buy another controller kit. :P

Depends how long you will be away too. If you're just going away for a few days right around Christmas, you still have the rest of the month to show your display. Heck, after it's been running for a few weeks, leave the computer on when you go away and the show will run automatically. No one would ever know you are away for a few days!