Light-O-Rama Forums

Mixed display

Lightsupchapman

Hi everyone, last year I had a 16 channel lor show.  This year I am planning on 32 channel incans 8 strand dumb mega tree using lor dumb strips and controller and a 16 string 180 rgb not lor megatree using a falcon controller.  Any ideas what else I'm gonna need in order to get this to all work in sync?  

Thanks, dave

So two separate dongles coming out of my computer or 2 networks setup in xlights or lor or wherever I do my programming from?  My lor controllers would be daisy chained on one and the pixels on another?

The E1.31 uses an ethernet LAN, not RS-485, so it would be connected via your "normal" LAN connection.  The LOR network needs an RS-485 dongle.  Remember that ethernet and RS-485 are not compatible and there is a possibility of hardware damage if they are mixed up.  To minimize that possibility, I use different color Cat-5 cable for each.  E1.31 is Green and RS-485 is Purple.  I have several other colors that are used for specific purposes as well.

doesn't the falcon controller have a RS-485 output that could eliminate the need for the dongle and allow connection of the LOR controllers to the falcon?

Yes! It works great. You do have to use it in DMX mode, but it only affects how you set the ID for the LOR controller. No dongle needed!

Edited by larryk5