Light-O-Rama Forums

Indoor or outdoor

Phil Dinan

What type of lights are you talking about (minis, C7, C9, etc.)? Most Christmas lights I have seen have been labelled Indoor/Outdoor. I would not suggest using lights that are labelled as Indoor Use Only outdoors. The thickness of the insulation may not be the only difference. The type of insulation may not work well in sub-zero temperatures or in direct sunlight over time. Just my 2 cents. I am sure others will have some good information for you too.

tom.

Hi Phil,

I'm not an electrician (and I hope one of the many that peruse these forums will jump in and give their expert opinion) but I've used many styles of "indoor only" lights outdoors for over twenty years. I, too, have at times appreciated the cost savings, at least initially. In my experience, the only real difference I've noted is that the cords get brittle and fail sooner than products labeled for outdoor use. Since I've always been manic about examining cords and pitching ones that needed pitching, that's never been a problem for me. (That and the fact that I rely solely on GFCI receptacles.) In the long run, I figure the savings versus the shorter life span is probably a wash, and in the interest of safety it's worth spending the extra few bucks for the "outdoor" quality.

George Simmons

I don't think I have ever seen a light cord rated indoor only but must admit that I don't really look. Must of the stuff you buy today says indoor/outdoor. I do use a lot of extension cords outside that are rated for indoor use. As previously stated, the indoor stuff probably has no UV protection built into the insulation.

Thanks guys I was refering to MINIs even on sale after Xmas here in Ontario the price for 100 mini string is still in the $7 - $8 range for outdoor rated whereas indoor is $2 - $4 per 100 I too am GFCI protected. I guess we dont get the huge discount sales here like in the USA.

Phil

Wow! $7-$8 for 100 mini's? I'll say you don't get much of a deal... those indoor lights are looking better and better!

George