Light-O-Rama Forums

new computer

big joe

hey all!!  Big Joe here. Today i had to go out and buy a new computer.need help in getting some things back in order.  Seems like i got all my files transferred over, but it seems that

the music file is no longer with the sequence. i have all the music( that i can tell so far) in this new computer, but it is not in the right spot.

Is there a faster way to put the music back in, or do i have to manually do this?

Also it seems all my superstar stuff i purchased from Brian is there with the music, but with the stuff i bought from Holiday Sequences, the music is missing.

Any ideas?

Also this new computer is running windows 7 pro, so things are a little different there too. coming from xp. Help Dgrant!!!

Win 7 Pro, I had no problems but I upgraded to Win 10 and my issues started until I got a Framework file sent to me.

As far as audio, if you are speaking of the LOR internal location probably no way other than copy paste or drag drop.

If you are talking about your sequences, I too had that problem. Every time I open an old sequence I just have to edit the media file. Eventually I will get caught up.

Not sure why music would be missing. Did you use a program like Ghost copy to copy your old system and transfer it over?

JR

• Like 1

For these reasons, and many other reasons, I always do two separate backups:

One hard backup to an external drive and a secondary to my Google Drive account. That way there's never a chance for my work to be lost.

To solve your problem: look for where the music could be first. Locate all of the music before going forward. Second, once you find all the music, copy them and put them in the folder that the SE is directed to. This is usually the "Audio" folder from when LOR was initially installed.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lightingnewb said:

For these reasons, and many other reasons, I always do two separate backups:

One hard backup to an external drive and a secondary to my Google Drive account. That way there's never a chance for my work to be lost.

To solve your problem: look for where the music could be first. Locate all of the music before going forward. Second, once you find all the music, copy them and put them in the folder that the SE is directed to. This is usually the "Audio" folder from when LOR was initially installed.

My documents/ Light O Rama/ Audio your sequences should be in the same directory but in the Sequences folder. If you use Super Star the Audio will remain in the normal Audio folder but the sequences will be in the Super Star "Sequence" folder.

All of my music remained in the correct directory however for whatever reason all of my sequences were no longer pointing to them. Nothing lost just had to open the sequence and redirect it to the audio folder. No big deal takes 5 seconds.

JR

• Like 1

If you upgrade from xp to w7/8/10, the file path to a user is different between the 2. So your sequence is looking for the old xp path to the audio files, which no longer exist, unless you manually re-create the folder.  I would just take a few minutes per seuqnce and just re-linking the audio files. 

• Like 1

dibblejr : I think you are right about the copy, paste and drag way, also thanks for responding so quickly.  I don't know what program was used, i dropped off my old computer and came back an hour later and it was done. See, i still have my old computer, a Hp G60-645NR Notebook, seems i got some hardware issues( fan stuck on high, screen went out, and some reason it keeps acting like someone is plugging and unplugging a USB in and out!!) But, i can still access everything by using a VGA connection to a separate monitor. So Technically everything is still there. Also i do have a big flash drive with most of my work on it too. just unsure on how to put it in/use..

New computer is a re furbish unit, HP Probook 6570b, intel core i5 vpro, new dual monitor setup, new headphones,bluetooth, lifetime parts/labor for $300.58 !!!

lightingnewb: Also thankyou for responding, yup i will look for that audio folder. 

mpageler: this is exactly what is happening. Boy all you guys are so helpful! sweet!!

PhilMassey: ok, i will check out that link right now. thanks so much!

ALL in all guys, i think i have everything just don't know all the steps involved and moving things over, i will get it .Soon...

Also when i did some for my work sometimes i skewd the music over sometimes so i may have an issue with the cut and paste way.

Does anyone know of a way to export entire media and sequence over in one big file without upsetting the copyright issues?

( i would never want that to happen to me either!)

Reason why i say this is, on everything with my 12 string pixel tree, i had constructed a RGB 6 channel star, instead of the white one and put colors in instead.

and the files i got seem to be just the originals zip files. (Holiday Sequences only),on the new computer.

Also my dmx address are not the same as originals, as i was already into dmx before the Pixel Explosion as Dave from HolidayCoro, puts it.

looks like i have lots to do!!!

When I got my (then) new (refurb) W7 desktop, I used the file and settings transfer the Microsoft provided.

There were things that I had placed OUTSIDE of the user area (documents and settings) that I had to move. But on the whole, it did much of the work (and adjusted paths used by the Apps)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big joe said:

dibblejr : I think you are right about the copy, paste and drag way, also thanks for responding so quickly.  I don't know what program was used, i dropped off my old computer and came back an hour later and it was done. See, i still have my old computer, a Hp G60-645NR Notebook, seems i got some hardware issues( fan stuck on high, screen went out, and some reason it keeps acting like someone is plugging and unplugging a USB in and out!!) But, i can still access everything by using a VGA connection to a separate monitor. So Technically everything is still there. Also i do have a big flash drive with most of my work on it too. just unsure on how to put it in/use..

New computer is a re furbish unit, HP Probook 6570b, intel core i5 vpro, new dual monitor setup, new headphones,bluetooth, lifetime parts/labor for $300.58 !!!

lightingnewb: Also thankyou for responding, yup i will look for that audio folder. 

mpageler: this is exactly what is happening. Boy all you guys are so helpful! sweet!!

PhilMassey: ok, i will check out that link right now. thanks so much!

ALL in all guys, i think i have everything just don't know all the steps involved and moving things over, i will get it .Soon...

Also when i did some for my work sometimes i skewd the music over sometimes so i may have an issue with the cut and paste way.

Does anyone know of a way to export entire media and sequence over in one big file without upsetting the copyright issues?

( i would never want that to happen to me either!)

Reason why i say this is, on everything with my 12 string pixel tree, i had constructed a RGB 6 channel star, instead of the white one and put colors in instead.

and the files i got seem to be just the originals zip files. (Holiday Sequences only),on the new computer.

Also my dmx address are not the same as originals, as i was already into dmx before the Pixel Explosion as Dave from HolidayCoro, puts it.

looks like i have lots to do!!!

Hopefully you didn't get the Office Depot "Optimization Package". Forget what they call it but I wasn't happy at all. They had the new laptop for 3 days, I trusted that they could transfer everything over, and didn't check it at the store. Got home about 45 min drive. Nothing was transferred. Still had all of the crappy software that I asked them (paid for) removal. All n all waste of $ and time. Then it was missing the framework for anything I needed to produce singing faces.

Here's the funny part. I left negative feedback telling the story. They sent me the link to leave them feedback. It was rejected. I called them and explained to them about the situation, they asked me to LIE! I told them "no" I stated why ask for feedback if they want a lie and why would I since my experience was horrific at best. Cost $159 for optimization, they did nothing.

They offered me nothing in return, said they would take back the laptop, that was after I had already transferred and used JR's optimization! I will never go back.

Lesson learned.

JR

Just an update... I was able to locate everything and I'm in the process of adding the music back to all the sequences. about 1/2 done so far. Thanks for everyone's help on this. I've been just sick about it. Also i learned how to use the double monitor set up, should be a good time saver!! thanks again. Big Joe out.

Glad you found all your files.  My solution to this problem (although done for different reasons) is to map a network drive of L:\ for all my computers that have LOR software installed.  That L:\ drive may be some folder on the local hard drive, or it may be a shared network drive on my server.  But it's always L:\ for the LOR files.  For example, on this computer, L:\ is really \\Jupiter\D:\Shared\LOR, but as far as LOR is concerned, it is just L:\  In case you are wondering, Jupiter is the name of my server.

As for two monitors, once you start using two, you will never want to go back to one.  I have had two on this computer for years and will be adding a third and maybe a fourth whenever I make desk space for them.  BTW, I have one monitor in landscape and the other in portrait because some things just work better in one vs the other.  Number three will be in landscape, and not sure about number four if I go that far.

• Like 1

I don't have 2 monitors but I have one I believe 42" monitor and 2 computers connected via a switch. That works for everything I do. Sometimes I get spoiled sequencing on that monitor because most times I seq on my laptop

JR

I have a dual monitor setup, which makes sequencing so much easier. Plus, S4 is a great update. Was reluctant to upgrade but am glad I did.
SE on one monitor, Visualizer on the other. That way I can actually track updates I make as the song progresses.

Same concept here, except I do essentially all sequencing in SuperStar, so it's the SuperStar main screen along with the the setup screens for Morphs, Scenes, Images, Text, and Smooth effects in the bottom part of the left (landscape mode) monitor.  On the right monitor (in Portrait mode) is the SuperStar sequencing grid in the top half, and the SuperStar Visualization in the bottom half.  You have to enable Floating Windows to do that BTW.

I have a dual monitor setup as well. My primary monitor is a 1440p display, and with that really high resolution I can fit a ton more channels in SE on it than I could with a standard HD 1080p display. 2 monitors in my opinion is a must to have any level of efficiency while sequencing.

I currently have 5 :P on this box. (I steal 2 from the second system via the input select, when that one is shut sown. then there is an old 768x1024:in portrait for when I edit EPUB books)

2 is an absolute minimum these days ;)

Definitely have to agree that 2 is a bare minimum these days with how technology is changing. We, in this industry, are fortunate to afford these adaptations in keeping up-to-date with the growth of technology.

Looking at saving up to expand my monitor setup to include more monitors, it'd be a real treat to have more. One other thing I hope to enable this summer possibly is the remote access to my show computer so I can send my sequence files directly to the comp and in the specific folders without having to set up anything in the garage to do it. (Maybe I should make a semi-permanent wall-mounted monitor and keyboard setup for out there...)

Lightingnewb, ask me about remotely accessing the show computer - it's easy. Gotta get to bed now...

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, so blame any typos on Android!

Just now, k6ccc said:

Lightingnewb, ask me about remotely accessing the show computer - it's easy. Gotta get to bed now...

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, so blame any typos on Android!

I'm not worried about setting it up, just need to buy and configure a bridge for the WiFi and then follow the setup procedures. Thanks for offering to help though! It's been a low-level list item that I've wanted to do for a bit now.