Light-O-Rama Forums

dibblejr    377

Let me add this to the conversation

"some" terminal blocks use a rising block screw terminal to secure wires, thus the bottom section will move upward.

JR

20 hours ago, dibblejr said:

George, last I knew "i do not owe you anything" if you'd like to take this personal attacks off line then send them through PM's. Last I knew this is a "community forum" where generosity, help and for the most part kindness should prevail.

Yes, you may have joined the LOR forums much longer than I have. Last I knew, I've only known you since I joined here, you know nothing and I reiterate nothing about me or my background. Yet you continue to attack those of us who wish to assist others, totally uncalled for.

Some of us pay for our stuff, receive it and do what it takes to make it work. I will continue to share my hands-on knowledge from my "experiences" when I can. You said "you do not have a pixie16". SInce you are a Beta Tester perhaps LOR can front you one or a hundred of them, but some of us buy everything we own.

~JR

In this case, George is right. I also use the same method he does and it works flawlessly. I use these type of connectors where I work and they ALWAYS pinch the wire towards the screw. I have yet to see one that works the other way. If I have questions, I find out from the supplier data sheets as to how they are to be used. The problems you had may have resulted from not enough wire stripped to go far enough into the connector. I always allow a quarter inch and trim if needed.

-Gary-

DevMike    429

We may use different suppliers, which may mean the screws may work in opposite directions.  I don't think there are 2 different types, but I suppose it COULD happen.  Rather than go back and forth just give it a test.  

I have multiple connectors from multiple different production runs of PixCon16s (and pixies).  All of them work this way:

Look at the inside of the connector and turn the screw.  The small metal plate will move one direction or the other.  At one end of travel, the screw will still be able to be turned.  It may be a little more difficult, but should still turn - or feel like it could.  That end is OPEN. Don't turn it too far in this position - it may be possible to force the end of the metal plate (actually it is a box) off the end of the screw. 

At the other end of travel, it will stop dead.  If you apply the same force as you did on the open end of travel, this side will not move.  That end is CLOSED.

Insert the wire when things are OPEN, move the screw in the direction of CLOSED until snug.

Too long or too short a strip length (there is NOT a lot of tolerance) will lead to issues.  No bare wire should extend out of the connector, nor should you be closing the clamp down on the insulation of the wire.  If you are looking for a professional installation, we recommend ferrules.  With a properly installed and crimped ferrule, you eliminate many of these issues.  

dibblejr    377
9 minutes ago, DevMike said:

We may use different suppliers, which may mean the screws may work in opposite directions.  I don't think there are 2 different types, but I suppose it COULD happen.  Rather than go back and forth just give it a test.  

I have multiple connectors from multiple different production runs of PixCon16s (and pixies).  All of them work this way:

Look at the inside of the connector and turn the screw.  The small metal plate will move one direction or the other.  At one end of travel, the screw will still be able to be turned.  It may be a little more difficult, but should still turn - or feel like it could.  That end is OPEN. Don't turn it too far in this position - it may be possible to force the end of the metal plate (actually it is a box) off the end of the screw. 

At the other end of travel, it will stop dead.  If you apply the same force as you did on the open end of travel, this side will not move.  That end is CLOSED.

Insert the wire when things are OPEN, move the screw in the direction of CLOSED until snug.

Too long or too short a strip length (there is NOT a lot of tolerance) will lead to issues.  No bare wire should extend out of the connector, nor should you be closing the clamp down on the insulation of the wire.  If you are looking for a professional installation, we recommend ferrules.  With a properly installed and crimped ferrule, you eliminate many of these issues.  

Mike,

Exactly what I did. I could see the base however when I turned the screw clockwise nothing happened. No matter how much I turned. However when I turned the screw counter clockwise the base plate moved to sandwich the wire. As mentioned above I was not the first one to discover this. Perhaps the first run had these backwards tightening connections, who knows. Even with a magnifying glass I couldn't read the data on the side of the connector. I am just happy it worked after I read the post.

I believe you also replied to my problem thread when this happened. I followed the instruction online which for the most part is geared towards the pixie4 and 8, but its actually wiring 101.

Bottom line mine work, the real test will be when I get my matrix setup.

Thank you for the reply.

JR

Dennis Laff    103

you normally unscrew to open the connector then insert wire and tighten down to secure wire.

DevMike    429
7 minutes ago, Dennis Laff said:

you normally unscrew to open the connector then insert wire and tighten down to secure wire.

Correct.  You must have missed most of the thread -- the issue here is 'which way is UNscrew'.  Some users are reporting that some connectors may have left-handed threads, meaning that 'Unscrew' isn't to the LEFT (CCW), it is to the RIGHT(CW).

So to determine which way is UNscrew, you can follow my instructions.  Now there is no doubt and no confusion as to which way is OPEN and which is CLOSED.

tbuff23    0

This worked I up graded my license and assigned each port an ID worked like a charm.

Thanks for all the help. Now I need to figure how to import the sequence from pixel editor to

sequence editor. to get the most from my mega tree.

Again thanks.