Light-O-Rama Forums
tbuff23

Pixie 16D

Let me add this to the conversation

"some" terminal blocks use a rising block screw terminal to secure wires, thus the bottom section will move upward.

JR

20 hours ago, dibblejr said:

George, last I knew "i do not owe you anything" if you'd like to take this personal attacks off line then send them through PM's. Last I knew this is a "community forum" where generosity, help and for the most part kindness should prevail.

Yes, you may have joined the LOR forums much longer than I have. Last I knew, I've only known you since I joined here, you know nothing and I reiterate nothing about me or my background. Yet you continue to attack those of us who wish to assist others, totally uncalled for.

Some of us pay for our stuff, receive it and do what it takes to make it work. I will continue to share my hands-on knowledge from my "experiences" when I can. You said "you do not have a pixie16". SInce you are a Beta Tester perhaps LOR can front you one or a hundred of them, but some of us buy everything we own.

~JR

In this case, George is right. I also use the same method he does and it works flawlessly. I use these type of connectors where I work and they ALWAYS pinch the wire towards the screw. I have yet to see one that works the other way. If I have questions, I find out from the supplier data sheets as to how they are to be used. The problems you had may have resulted from not enough wire stripped to go far enough into the connector. I always allow a quarter inch and trim if needed.

-Gary-

We may use different suppliers, which may mean the screws may work in opposite directions.  I don't think there are 2 different types, but I suppose it COULD happen.  Rather than go back and forth just give it a test.  

I have multiple connectors from multiple different production runs of PixCon16s (and pixies).  All of them work this way:

Look at the inside of the connector and turn the screw.  The small metal plate will move one direction or the other.  At one end of travel, the screw will still be able to be turned.  It may be a little more difficult, but should still turn - or feel like it could.  That end is OPEN. Don't turn it too far in this position - it may be possible to force the end of the metal plate (actually it is a box) off the end of the screw. 

At the other end of travel, it will stop dead.  If you apply the same force as you did on the open end of travel, this side will not move.  That end is CLOSED.

Insert the wire when things are OPEN, move the screw in the direction of CLOSED until snug.

Too long or too short a strip length (there is NOT a lot of tolerance) will lead to issues.  No bare wire should extend out of the connector, nor should you be closing the clamp down on the insulation of the wire.  If you are looking for a professional installation, we recommend ferrules.  With a properly installed and crimped ferrule, you eliminate many of these issues.  

9 minutes ago, DevMike said:

We may use different suppliers, which may mean the screws may work in opposite directions.  I don't think there are 2 different types, but I suppose it COULD happen.  Rather than go back and forth just give it a test.  

I have multiple connectors from multiple different production runs of PixCon16s (and pixies).  All of them work this way:

Look at the inside of the connector and turn the screw.  The small metal plate will move one direction or the other.  At one end of travel, the screw will still be able to be turned.  It may be a little more difficult, but should still turn - or feel like it could.  That end is OPEN. Don't turn it too far in this position - it may be possible to force the end of the metal plate (actually it is a box) off the end of the screw. 

At the other end of travel, it will stop dead.  If you apply the same force as you did on the open end of travel, this side will not move.  That end is CLOSED.

Insert the wire when things are OPEN, move the screw in the direction of CLOSED until snug.

Too long or too short a strip length (there is NOT a lot of tolerance) will lead to issues.  No bare wire should extend out of the connector, nor should you be closing the clamp down on the insulation of the wire.  If you are looking for a professional installation, we recommend ferrules.  With a properly installed and crimped ferrule, you eliminate many of these issues.  

Mike,

Exactly what I did. I could see the base however when I turned the screw clockwise nothing happened. No matter how much I turned. However when I turned the screw counter clockwise the base plate moved to sandwich the wire. As mentioned above I was not the first one to discover this. Perhaps the first run had these backwards tightening connections, who knows. Even with a magnifying glass I couldn't read the data on the side of the connector. I am just happy it worked after I read the post.

I believe you also replied to my problem thread when this happened. I followed the instruction online which for the most part is geared towards the pixie4 and 8, but its actually wiring 101.

Bottom line mine work, the real test will be when I get my matrix setup.

Thank you for the reply.

JR

you normally unscrew to open the connector then insert wire and tighten down to secure wire.

7 minutes ago, Dennis Laff said:

you normally unscrew to open the connector then insert wire and tighten down to secure wire.

Correct.  You must have missed most of the thread -- the issue here is 'which way is UNscrew'.  Some users are reporting that some connectors may have left-handed threads, meaning that 'Unscrew' isn't to the LEFT (CCW), it is to the RIGHT(CW).

So to determine which way is UNscrew, you can follow my instructions.  Now there is no doubt and no confusion as to which way is OPEN and which is CLOSED.

This worked I up graded my license and assigned each port an ID worked like a charm.

Thanks for all the help. Now I need to figure how to import the sequence from pixel editor to

sequence editor. to get the most from my mega tree.

Again thanks.

On 4/2/2017 at 7:52 PM, default said:

This is correct. The OP will have to upgrade his license level. The OP could upgrade to an Advanced License, but will miss out on the Enhanced LOR Protocol and the ability to use Intensity files and Pixel Editor currently. I'd recommend the the OP upgrade to a PRO license that way they are covered for now and be will be available to use whatever tools that are due out with S5.

Depending on the level of sequencing, you can really push a lot of data to a Pixie16. If the OP has the 50 count LED strings, that is 2,400 channels. Personally I run 1 enhanced network per Pixie16 and lag is not an issue.

To the OP, it would be handy to know what version of software you are running, Basic Plus tells us your channel count but doesn't clue us in on other issue you may be facing. Right after the Pixie's came out there was a software update to ver 4.3.16 (I think) it was suppose to make it easier to add the Pixies to Sequence Editor, however it had a bug that didn't add them properly, LOR soon after released Ver 4.3.18 which DOES add the Pixies properly to SE. Make sure when/if you update your license you also update to the latest version of the LOR software.

When you assign a Unit ID to the Pixie16, remember you will be using 16 unit ID's. For instance if you were to assign the Pixie16 a Unit ID of 01, that would mean the first port (string) is Unit ID 01. Once the first Unit ID is assigned, each port from there on - the Unit ID will automatically increase by 1.

Example
Unit ID 1  = Port 1 (1rst string)
Unit ID 2  = Port 2 (2nd string)
Unit ID 3  = Port 3 (3rd string)
Unit ID 4  = Port 4 (4th string)
Unit ID 5  = Port 5 (5th string)
and so on until you reach Port 16 (16 string)

When you get to a point of adding the Pixie16 to Sequence Editor, this is an example of the way my Pixie16 is configured in SE. (note my first Unit ID is 9) Each string after the first is increased by 1 Unit ID #

pixie16%20id.png

If you wanted to make sure all your ports and lights work, download the latest version of software ver 4.3.18. Open the Hardware Editor and click the Pixel Console Button. Plug in all your strings to the Pixie16. Change the Unit ID # to the Port (string) you want to test. Move the sliders around to see the results on the ports (strings) with your LEDs.

** Oops after I wrote this I realized that I am using ver 4.3.18 Pro and these features are available to me, they *might not* be available to you until you upgrade. ** It may still work for you, I am not sure. Give it a try.

pic1.png

pic2.png

Hope all this makes sense.

Alan...

I'm having an issue with my show and I think it's because this issue.  I replaced my CMB16's with Pixie controllers (a Pixie4 and a Pixie8).  My pixie4 is Unit ID 02.  I have a CCR that is unit 03 and that is behaving exactly the same as the strip on the pixie4.  Are they behaving as the same Unit ID ??  If so, is the only solution to change the unit IDs?

Yes, your Pixie4 will use 4 Unit Id's and your Pixie8 will use 8 Unit Id's for a total of 12. If you don't take this in account when adding new controllers (Pixies) it can mess you up. If you just made the change this year and still have older sequences mapped to your older Unit Id's, it might be easier to add the Pixies with Unit Id's after what you already have, then change the channel config in your updated sequences. Either way, I throw this out there every so often, it would be wise to document how your setup is, so that when you add new controllers or a years time goes by you have some way to tell what you did, and what the next Unit Id is. Here is a sample of what I do. It helps a lot down the road. I keep this pic in my LOR folder for ready reference.

Alan...

LOR%20Comm%20Ports3.png

Just got finished changing all my Unit IDs.  What a PAIN!!!!!!  I wish they had made it a little more clear when purchasing the Pixie controllers how the unit IDs worked.....  Thanks for the tip and the screen shot.  My wife is an excel spread sheet on steroids and would love to make that and keep it up to date!  Hope you have a great holiday season and thanks for the help!!

On 4/2/2017 at 6:52 PM, default said:

This is correct. The OP will have to upgrade his license level. The OP could upgrade to an Advanced License, but will miss out on the Enhanced LOR Protocol and the ability to use Intensity files and Pixel Editor currently. I'd recommend the the OP upgrade to a PRO license that way they are covered for now and be will be available to use whatever tools that are due out with S5.

Depending on the level of sequencing, you can really push a lot of data to a Pixie16. If the OP has the 50 count LED strings, that is 2,400 channels. Personally I run 1 enhanced network per Pixie16 and lag is not an issue.

To the OP, it would be handy to know what version of software you are running, Basic Plus tells us your channel count but doesn't clue us in on other issue you may be facing. Right after the Pixie's came out there was a software update to ver 4.3.16 (I think) it was suppose to make it easier to add the Pixies to Sequence Editor, however it had a bug that didn't add them properly, LOR soon after released Ver 4.3.18 which DOES add the Pixies properly to SE. Make sure when/if you update your license you also update to the latest version of the LOR software.

When you assign a Unit ID to the Pixie16, remember you will be using 16 unit ID's. For instance if you were to assign the Pixie16 a Unit ID of 01, that would mean the first port (string) is Unit ID 01. Once the first Unit ID is assigned, each port from there on - the Unit ID will automatically increase by 1.

Example
Unit ID 1  = Port 1 (1rst string)
Unit ID 2  = Port 2 (2nd string)
Unit ID 3  = Port 3 (3rd string)
Unit ID 4  = Port 4 (4th string)
Unit ID 5  = Port 5 (5th string)
and so on until you reach Port 16 (16 string)

When you get to a point of adding the Pixie16 to Sequence Editor, this is an example of the way my Pixie16 is configured in SE. (note my first Unit ID is 9) Each string after the first is increased by 1 Unit ID #

pixie16%20id.png

If you wanted to make sure all your ports and lights work, download the latest version of software ver 4.3.18. Open the Hardware Editor and click the Pixel Console Button. Plug in all your strings to the Pixie16. Change the Unit ID # to the Port (string) you want to test. Move the sliders around to see the results on the ports (strings) with your LEDs.

** Oops after I wrote this I realized that I am using ver 4.3.18 Pro and these features are available to me, they *might not* be available to you until you upgrade. ** It may still work for you, I am not sure. Give it a try.

pic1.png

pic2.png

Hope all this makes sense.

Alan...

Do I need to use the 0A 0A etc? I numbered mine 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19. I upgraded my lic to pro but did not upgrade yet I am using 4.3.26. Thanks for the info.

tbuff23 ~ your numbering system for a pixie16 will not work. You assign the first unit # when you set it up it asks you for the "beginning unit ID" if its 04 you select 04 and the system will set the rest "properly". If you set yours the way you describe above you will have 10 working channels. 

If you look at the drop down in any of the unit configs you will see how the numbering system works, when it gets to anything with a 9 the next will be the OA- 0F where applicable.

Just let the computer normally assign and when you set up your vis you will use those unit id's assigned. With the pixie there is no way around this.

Also if you are using any version of software prior to 4.3.18 your unit will not be recognized.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Yes.  The unit IDs for all LOR controllers are in hexadecimal.  For most things that’s not really an issue, but for the Pixie controllers which use multiple Unit IDs based on the first ID set, it MAY become obvious.  For example, if you set the first Unit ID of a Pixie 4 or Pixie 8 to 01, the additional IDs will be 02-04 or 02-08.  But it you set the first Unit ID to 08 for example, the additional IDs will run into the hexadecimal ID range.  Because a Pixie 16 uses 16 IDs, it will always have some of the IDs in the hexadecimal range.

8 hours ago, dibblejr said:

tbuff23 ~ your numbering system for a pixie16 will not work. You assign the first unit # when you set it up it asks you for the "beginning unit ID" if its 04 you select 04 and the system will set the rest "properly". If you set yours the way you describe above you will have 10 working channels. 

If you look at the drop down in any of the unit configs you will see how the numbering system works, when it gets to anything with a 9 the next will be the OA- 0F where applicable.

Just let the computer normally assign and when you set up your vis you will use those unit id's assigned. With the pixie there is no way around this.

Also if you are using any version of software prior to 4.3.18 your unit will not be recognized.

JR

JR,

Ok then that is where I am going wrong I am #ing all the channels myself not letting the computer do it for me. I will update the software to ver 4.3.18

tonight.

Thanks 16 days till I start to put up my lights and I am starting to panic my mega tree is the hart and soul of my display. 

On 10/13/2017 at 2:56 AM, default said:

Yes, your Pixie4 will use 4 Unit Id's and your Pixie8 will use 8 Unit Id's for a total of 12. If you don't take this in account when adding new controllers (Pixies) it can mess you up. If you just made the change this year and still have older sequences mapped to your older Unit Id's, it might be easier to add the Pixies with Unit Id's after what you already have, then change the channel config in your updated sequences. Either way, I throw this out there every so often, it would be wise to document how your setup is, so that when you add new controllers or a years time goes by you have some way to tell what you did, and what the next Unit Id is. Here is a sample of what I do. It helps a lot down the road. I keep this pic in my LOR folder for ready reference.

Alan...

LOR%20Comm%20Ports3.png

Alan and fellow LOR's,

Question. How and where do you add the 4 Unit Id's for the Pixie4? I am running the latest version of software with a CTB16 and two Pixie 4's. I hardwired into each of the Pixies and gave them each 1 (not the same). Fast forward to the Props inside the PE. I am trying to run 8 total CCR's (4 for each pixie controller). I have a hundreds or errors because each there are 4 CCR's fighting over the same Unit ID for each of the controllers. How do I assign each CCR a different Unit ID? Better yet how would the PIXIE controllers know what CCR to drive (since the each CCR would have its own ID and all of the ID's are different than what I programmed into my two PIXIE controllers)?

I have included some SS of my issues with hopes of getting this running.

30 minutes ago, tbuff23 said:

JR,

Ok then that is where I am going wrong I am #ing all the channels myself not letting the computer do it for me. I will update the software to ver 4.3.18

tonight.

Thanks 16 days till I start to put up my lights and I am starting to panic my mega tree is the hart and soul of my display. 

What version software you on now? Normally if not 4.18 or later and you try to find your pixie16 in HU you will get "unknown device".

Were you able to see your device in HU with a version prior to 4.3.18?

I have assisted a couple people on the phone because they was getting the above error only to find they had 1- the .14 which was prior to the pixie16 release. Upgraded and they were able to find and setup their controller.

JR

sorry cant compress the screenshots enough so they are larger than whats allowed. I can PM or email them is someone wants to take a stab at how to fix my issue?

Here’s the trick for photos or screenshots. Upload then to the web someplace and post the link.  You can use things like Google Drive, Dropbox or a website you have access to (or even Facebook if you insist).  Just make sure the photo is viewable without having to log in to some account (not everyone will have an account for wherever you posted it).

just as a reference:

ORG:

Alan and fellow LOR's,

Question. How and where do you add the 4 Unit Id's for the Pixie4? I am running the latest version of software with a CTB16 and two Pixie 4's. I hardwired into each of the Pixies and gave them each 1 (not the same). Fast forward to the Props inside the PE. I am trying to run 8 total CCR's (4 for each pixie controller). I have a hundreds or errors because each there are 4 CCR's fighting over the same Unit ID for each of the controllers. How do I assign each CCR a different Unit ID? Better yet how would the PIXIE controllers know what CCR to drive (since the each CCR would have its own ID and all of the ID's are different than what I programmed into my two PIXIE controllers)?

Full screenshot of errors (correlates to my above issues)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4isa3qrsnwgjpk/Warning list.JPG?dl=0

I downloaded your picture so I could use it to highlight these explanations.

Hardware%20Uty_preview.jpeg

Note 1 - This shows Hardware Utility has found all three of your controllers. I'm not sure how you are adding your controllers, but I have found it better to only hook up and setup one controller at a time. (You may have done this, this picture doesn't tell me the whole story)

Note 2 - This is where you would enter your starting Unit ID#. You say you have two Pixie 4's. Your 16PC-G3Ver1.09 controller only uses 1 Unit ID#. So that would mean that the first Pixie 4 you add would have a starting Unit ID# of at least 2. For this example let's use 2. Once the Unit ID# has been set to 2, the Hardware Editor will automatically create all the other Unit ID#'s for each string.
This means each string of lights on your Pixie 4 will have it's Unit ID# assigned to it. You do not have to do anything more with this Unit ID's on this Pixie 4. You will have to remember what your starting Unit ID # is, to be able to tell Sequence Editor, when you add it there. It would be wise to write the Unit ID #'s on the case with a sharpie.
String 1 will be Unit ID# 2
String 2 will be Unit ID# 3
String 3 will be Unit ID# 4
String 4 will be Unit ID# 5

To add your 2nd Pixie 4, do the same thing. Hook up this Pixie 4 (and nothing else) and set the Unit ID#. For this Pixie 4, you will have to add a Unit ID # of 6 (or more) we will use 6 for this example. The first Pixie 4 used 4 Unit ID's ending in Unit ID# 5. This Pixie 4 will also use 4 Unit ID#'s
String 1 will be Unit ID# 6
String 2 will be Unit ID# 7
String 3 will be Unit ID# 8
String 4 will be Unit ID# 9

The picture you quoted in your first post is all after the fact. One you get everything working, then make up something like this picture as a reminder of what you did this year. You will forget and it can be a pain trying to remember next year what you have set up this year, hence the quick and easy picture explaining your setup. As you setup grows this will become even more important.

When you say you are running the latest version of the Software using PE, I'd take that to mean you are using S4, not the beta version of S5?
If using S4 then here is a part of copy from the LOR Documenation for inserting Pixies into Sequence Editor

----- LOR Documentation found here -----

Pixie 2/4/8/16

The Pixie choice for the Insert Device dialog will add RGB Channels which are grouped appropriately to represent a Pixie device.  You should choose which Pixie device you are inserting (If it has 2, 4, 8 or 16 ports), as well as the network and the starting unit ID of the device, plus the number of pixels per port (either 50 or 100).  Each pixel will be represented as an RGB channel, and all pixels on a single port will be grouped together.

If the "Channel Mode" option is set to "Triples", then the circuit IDs will be 1 for the red channel of the first RGB channel, 2 for the green channel of the first RGB channel, 3 for the blue channel of the first RGB channel, 4 for the red channel of the second RGB channel, and so on.  If it is instead set to "Sequential", then they will instead be 1 for the red channel of the first RGB channel, 2 for the red channel of the second RGB channel, 3 for the red channel of the third RGB channel, and so on through all of the red channels, then through the green channels, then the blue channels.

The RGB channel names will default to "Pixel" followed by an indication of the base unit ID plus the pixel number; for example, "Pixel 03 p7" for the seventh pixel of the RGB device whose base unit ID is 03.

AddControlerPixie

Insert Device: Pixie Controller

------ End ------

You will also have to set network preferences, and make sure your license is Advanced or Pro to use the "Enhanced Network"

Hope this helps, any more questions, ask away. Also search the forums for Pixies

Alan...

Edited by default

2 hours ago, AC760 said:

just as a reference:

ORG:

Alan and fellow LOR's,

Full screenshot of errors (correlates to my above issues)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4isa3qrsnwgjpk/Warning list.JPG?dl=0

In the HU, only connect one device at a time. It looks like you have a 16 channel controller as unit 01.  A pixie4 as unit 02 and a pixie4 as unit 03.  

A pixie 4 uses 4 consecutive unit IDs. Connect one pixie4 controller to the HU and give it an ID number. If you assign it unit 02, it will automatically be assigned units 02, 03, 04 & 05.   You will not see the unit IDs  03, 04 or 05 by doing a refresh in HU, but they have been assigned to your controller.

You can not assign unit 03 to the second unit as that is being used by the first Pixie4.     At a minimum, the second pixie4 must be assigned unit 06, which will automatically assign units 06, 07, 08,  09 as the unit id's.   I can't help any wht the PE part of things, but this should give you a good start in understanding the overlap as I see it.

5 hours ago, dibblejr said:

What version software you on now? Normally if not 4.18 or later and you try to find your pixie16 in HU you will get "unknown device".

Were you able to see your device in HU with a version prior to 4.3.18?

I have assisted a couple people on the phone because they was getting the above error only to find they had 1- the .14 which was prior to the pixie16 release. Upgraded and they were able to find and setup their controller.

JR

JR,

I just up graded to 4.3.24 HU found the controller right off no more unknown device. I renumbered the channels in the sequences and let the controller do the rest.

It works fine right colors and all I appreciate all the help you are a life saver. 

AC760 's problem resolved

It was simple.

1) We went through HU to ensure everything set up correctly there and both pixies were configured properly

2) Went to SE and made him a Master Channel config using his 1 ac controller and 2 - pixie 4's

3) Went to vis and made a vis with all 8 unit ID's

4) Made a test seq fading for the entire length of his sequence

5) played the seq with the vis testing 1 unit ID at a time

6) Went to PE and reconfigured his prop unit ID's

7) connected the lights to his controllers - all worked

8) Connected his mini director and made SD card

9) Inserted SD card in mini director and his sequence played

Unit ID configuration with the pixies seem to stump the majority of people.

Great talking to a fellow soldier.

Best of luck and happy lighting for Christmas.

JR