Light-O-Rama Forums
Crimson Lane Lights Etown

CCF 50w Cosmic Color Flood

I did such a nice job installing two CCF 50w above my garage doors, out of the weather, that I don't want to take them down.  Is that weird?  Tell me more about the standalone (stand alone) mode.  What can these lights be used for throughout the rest of the year?  I have them mounted in the center of the doorway pointing down or pointing toward the outside of the door to the ground.  I wired each light to an outlet in my garage ceiling that also plugs the garage door opener into it.  I can power on or off with the breaker easily.  I uploaded a 5 min animation sequence of all white into one CCF unit, 15 minutes later it was still on.  What did I miss?  I have the latest everything.  By the way, these are awesome bright lights and I highly recommend them.  Now if I can justify using them for other things all year, that would be super! 

22 hours ago, Crimson Lane Lights Etown said:

I did such a nice job installing two CCF 50w above my garage doors, out of the weather, that I don't want to take them down.  Is that weird?  Tell me more about the standalone (stand alone) mode.  What can these lights be used for throughout the rest of the year?  I have them mounted in the center of the doorway pointing down or pointing toward the outside of the door to the ground.  I wired each light to an outlet in my garage ceiling that also plugs the garage door opener into it.  I can power on or off with the breaker easily.  I uploaded a 5 min animation sequence of all white into one CCF unit, 15 minutes later it was still on.  What did I miss?  I have the latest everything.  By the way, these are awesome bright lights and I highly recommend them.  Now if I can justify using them for other things all year, that would be super! 

No, not weird. I use my CF50 floods year round. They light up my courtyard flagpole area.

Stand alone mode - This mode only has 2 options. 1 - use a trigger input - like a n/c pushbutton setup. or 2 - "run when power is on". This is why your 5 min sequence was still on 15 mins later. You selected run when on & the sequence keeps looping the 5 min program over and over. To use them as landscape lights, you really need to put them on a time-clock or a dusk-to-dawn photo cell (get an electronic light rated one - regular pc's shouldn't hurt your lights, but you'll replace the pc every year at a min.) Or you could get a motion detector to use them as security lights to light up anytime someone enters the driveway area - again - get an electronic light rated detector.

REALLY, REALLY A BAD HABIT FLIPPING BREAKERS. When you do have to flip one - move away from the front of the panel. Reach your arm over to the breaker. Grab the toggle handle. THEN LOOK AWAY BEFORE FLIPPING. I have too many electricians that have arc flash burns to face, or the face of people they've worked with, or even worse case - the freaking breaker blew up. Protect yourself  at all times - always safety first.

You won't need 2 timers, or switches, or photo cells. You can set one flood to stand alone and the other set as the normal LOR network configuration. Then cat5 between them. The stand alone one can run them both. So just need to control the on / off for that one flood. CAUTION - you WILL jack it up if you have it in stand alone and also try to send network commands to it. Make 100% sure you have them both configured the way you want - and of course - configured one at a time.

Ideas for year round - this Friday - all green all night.

Forth of July - cycle red, white & blue all night.

Halloween - shine on Murray..

Murray%20lit2_zpskky339mt.jpg

Murray%20lit_zpsmjwvnk4n.jpg

• Like 1

As a 26 year electrician here I always stand behind the panel cover and look the opposite way of the panel while operating a breaker. Breakers were not made to act as a switch. Well said mega arch.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sparky4u said:

As a 26 year electrician here I always stand behind the panel cover and look the opposite way of the panel while operating a breaker. Breakers were not made to act as a switch. Well said mega arch.  

Thanks.

I'm not an electrician, but have had a 36 year career of selling to you guys. The horror stories told to me are not just stories. They are real people getting hurt.

You be careful - every day. 

• Like 1

Or a rebuilt 3phase 440V contactor in my Radar set that blew up when power was applied. The only thing that saved my face, was the large breaker in front (that I had just operated).  Carbon tracks in the phenolic was the issue

43 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Or a rebuilt 3phase 440V contactor in my Radar set that blew up when power was applied. The only thing that saved my face, was the large breaker in front (that I had just operated).  Carbon tracks in the phenolic was the issue

The ultimate in breaker protection. ?

Glad you weren't hurt. Could have been bad. 

Great advice guys, thanks.  I would have never even thought of protecting myself at the breaker box.  I will keep the flood installed all year.  I will use the ideas above to justify continued operation.  Now I could I use a few more of them, too!  Come on summer sale!

I with on live circuits all the time including 277/480 volts. But nothing racks my nerves more than energizing a newly installed circuit.  

• Like 1