Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixel Tree for Halloween?

Dcroc

Pulled the trigger on a pixel tree for this year.   The thought of using it for Halloween always seemed kinda silly to me, as it is a "Christmas tree", after all.   However, I have seen people do it with some really cool sequences.  My wife, however, still insist that "Halloween is NOT Christmas".   Any thoughts on this?

I don't use my tree for Halloween either, I guess I am on board with the wife as it is a CHRISTMAS TREE.

However, I will be adding a matrix this year for my Halloween.

Edited by Mr. P

For both only need to put it up once have a lot of halloween sequences to use

Edited by james morris

I am on the fence. I am currently working (another project) on a matrix. Once May comes around and my sequencing special requests is over I will dive in head first into SS sequencing. I have a great person helping me!

JR

I used mine last year for Halloween.  It's a tree shape but what counts is what you sequence inside that tree matrix so to speak.  There are at least two websites offering Halloween sequences for pixel trees.  I'm planning on using mine again this year.

Here is one for my boy Freddy.

Edited by B.Y.R.G.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Dcroc said:

Pulled the trigger on a pixel tree for this year.   The thought of using it for Halloween always seemed kinda silly to me, as it is a "Christmas tree", after all.   However, I have seen people do it with some really cool sequences.  My wife, however, still insist that "Halloween is NOT Christmas".   Any thoughts on this?

You can get a nice Matrix setup 24X50 for $75 plus S/H. It is really great quality. HS is the source. I got it Friday. I have one row in it since I have to make a frame and my time is limited right now. Sequencing has priority.

FWIW,

I'm in the minority here as I don't use my lighting stuff for Christmas. I do my shows in the spring/summer months when I can sit with a cold one and watch the lights from my yard.

When I decided to go with what's commonly called a Pixel Christmas Tree, I had no intentions of using it as such. Instead of a Star, Globe etc. as a topper, I opted for a Pixel Spinner. My intent was to use the combination to sequence whatever music struck my fancy. I view the tree portion more as a vetical matrix and use it to highlight different parts of the music.

I suppose it would matter as to what kind of tree you bought ie 90 (flat) 180 or 360. Mine is a flat, 12 strings, 25 pixels tall tree, wider at the bottom than at the top. I have it setup in Superstar as 2 props stacked on one another. Superstar has the the ability to "Manual Clip" (in the Smooth Effects Mode) just the tree prop. That leaves it open to make the pixel spinner do it's thing indepently.

Here is an example of the tree and spinner in action.

The tree prop is an expensive addition, I think it would be a shame to not use it. Just my $.02

Alan...

• Like 1

Alan- that's a cool thought. I also think outside the box that's why not everything I do has a season to it.

However, I am originally from way upstate NY where the snow is normally measured by feet per hour and I and a bunch of my friends would still sit outside, have winter BBq's and fried turkey and .... drink beer. No ice required! LOL

That's a nice setup you have. I am adding pixels this year so learning from all of you.

JR

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dibblejr said:

You can get a nice Matrix setup 24X50 for $75 plus S/H. It is really great quality. HS is the source. I got it Friday. I have one row in it since I have to make a frame and my time is limited right now. Sequencing has priority.

Wait.....where can I get that?

I figured it was going to cost me $75 for pvc pipe and other materials or at least close to it so I purchased it and I am happy I did.

12 hours ago, dibblejr said:

I received mine a few weeks back from HS. It took me about 3 days to get it built: Frame, soldering on the pigtails, and install the pixels. I got my first sequence from them two days ago. Set up my visualizer to test it on the computer. I'm going to physically test the matrix in the next few days. Should be fun ?

2 minutes ago, BMurray said:

I received mine a few weeks back from HS. It took me about 3 days to get it built: Frame, soldering on the pigtails, and install the pixels. I got my first sequence from them two days ago. Set up my visualizer to test it on the computer. I'm going to physically test the matrix in the next few days. Should be fun ?

Did you purchase the 24x50 sequence or the smaller ones? They are limited.

once I can jump in head first I'm going to learn SS. Just like I did SE and Papagayo. The old fashioned way (friends)!

1 minute ago, dibblejr said:

Did you purchase the 24x50 sequence or the smaller ones? They are limited.

once I can jump in head first I'm going to learn SS. Just like I did SE and Papagayo. The old fashioned way (friends)!

I purchased the 24x50. With the selection he has I currently have 3 of the songs sequenced for my display. So this is a quick though expensive addition. He's going to have more the closer to Halloween we get. He is also working on Christmas matrix's as well. So the matrix I have will be doing double duty. As far as sequencing, with the amount of pixels I'm moving to I'm starting to learn XLights with the whole house / display effects it's really  cool and pretty straight forward.....and I really don't get PE. 

On 2/19/2017 at 7:34 PM, B.Y.R.G. said:

I used mine last year for Halloween.  It's a tree shape but what counts is what you sequence inside that tree matrix so to speak.  There are at least two websites offering Halloween sequences for pixel trees.  I'm planning on using mine again this year.

Here is one for my boy Freddy.

awesome work!!