Light-O-Rama Forums

Case for Pixie16 and 2 P/S'?

brichi

1 hour ago, HBChristmas said:

Thanks for the link and information. I'll let you know what I end up with and if it works as planned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any time best of luck.

JR

I just reversed one of the fans, once the box was sealed they were canceling each other out I guess by sucking the hot air out, there was no air coming out, so now one pushed air in and the other out

BUD Industries NBF-32026 Plastic ABS NEMA Economy Box with Solid Door, 15-47/64" Length x 11-51/64" Width x 6-9/32" Height, Light Gray Finish https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005T94MQU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_qg3SybDGNW1S5

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwDgEpqsgNhfdGdBcEdoS2wwN1E/view?usp=drivesdk

Here's my setup waiting for an F-16 V3 with 4 power supplies

thats a great case too, I like the one I grabbed from Depot, like yours a little bit better though for the quick release to open the door. Are you putting in a fan to get the heat out?

1 minute ago, brichi said:

u have fans in there too or just the exhaust vents?

Just the vents, there is a lot of space in that box. I may get a thermo resistor to keep an eye but I'm thinking its going to be ok. I have all the wiring done and have left it on for 2 days straight and no heat problem.

1 hour ago, brichi said:

thats a great case too, I like the one I grabbed from Depot, like yours a little bit better though for the quick release to open the door. Are you putting in a fan to get the heat out?

It's hard to see in the picture but there are vents with a fan that will be controlled by the F-16 controller. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwDgEpqsgNhfNXdmeFhxQU5qc3c/view?usp=drivesdk

You can see in this photo that I have the fan mounted to the outside and it's covered with an outdoor single gang box with large openings facing down to vent and to maximize the Interior Space

I just reversed one of the fans, once the box was sealed they were canceling each other out I guess by sucking the hot air out, there was no air coming out, so now one pushed air in and the other out

Kinda works that way...
Gotta have an in and an out....

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

2 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Just the vents, there is a lot of space in that box. I may get a thermo resistor to keep an eye but I'm thinking its going to be ok. I have all the wiring done and have left it on for 2 days straight and no heat problem.

The heat comes when you're driving a bunch of pixels.  There shouldn't EVER be a problem with just the PS running and the board powered up.

6 minutes ago, George Simmons said:

The heat comes when you're driving a bunch of pixels.  There shouldn't EVER be a problem with just the PS running and the board powered up.

Yes, I understand that, but I still think all should be fine without a fan(s). Its not crammed in. Once I start running the first 16 channels to the matrix I will find out for sure.

JR

16 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Yes, I understand that, but I still think all should be fine without a fan(s). Its not crammed in. Once I start running the first 16 channels to the matrix I will find out for sure.

JR

Go empty out a closet and then sit down in there with a portable space heater running and see, even with the door open, how quickly it gets uncomfortable.

For maximum unpowered heat dissipation your best bet is for cool air to enter the enclosure at the bottom and be vented out as close as possible to the top.  Given your locale, passive venting might not be enough for what you're doing.

guys, being this is my first year doing this i had a question about the power, do you guys plug in all your boxes and leave them powered up the whole time outside during the holiday season or do you put them on a timer to come on a few minutes before and after you hours of shows?

43 minutes ago, brichi said:

guys, being this is my first year doing this i had a question about the power, do you guys plug in all your boxes and leave them powered up the whole time outside during the holiday season or do you put them on a timer to come on a few minutes before and after you hours of shows?

Leave them powered up.

Sometimes issues can arise by powering them on and off. Basically get everything up and running and leave it alone.

8 hours ago, George Simmons said:

Go empty out a closet and then sit down in there with a portable space heater running and see, even with the door open, how quickly it gets uncomfortable.

For maximum unpowered heat dissipation your best bet is for cool air to enter the enclosure at the bottom and be vented out as close as possible to the top.  Given your locale, passive venting might not be enough for what you're doing.

I may be wrong because I'm just a military guy and not an electronic component expert but I believe a pcb can take more heat than a human being.  Our field equipment will outlast a soldier in the heat.

now if it gets hot enough in the enclosure to melt the solder connections then yes we are in trouble.

I will put mine through a test as it warms up and if there is a problem can add a $6 fan

JR

6 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

I may be wrong because I'm just a military guy and not an electronic component expert but I believe a pcb can take more heat than a human being.  Our field equipment will outlast a soldier in the heat.

now if it gets hot enough in the enclosure to melt the solder connections then yes we are in trouble.

I will put mine through a test as it warms up and if there is a problem can add a $6 fan

JR

If I was you I would invest in the fan up front. Better safe than sorry.

2 hours ago, brichi said:

Thank you for asking this question. I am also a Newbie and was wondering the same thing as my show only runs 4 hours (1700-2100) .

Will the LOR network behave nice with these being off (and coming on)

I will say from years of IT equipment power, that if you have many 300+W  PSU that they should not all be POWERED UP at the same , the inrush current is huge and breakers will not be happy :rolleyes: