Light-O-Rama Forums

Hardware Utility continues to re-open after trying to close

sonoma

I have just noticed a glitch in LOR 4.3.18 Pro. 

I have just started into the world of smart pixels, and I have been using the Hardware utility to test the different universes on my pixel controller. I open the Hardware Utility, then pixel console  and select DMX pixel (E1.31) and test the different universes. This all works properly, the problem I am having is when I try to close the Hardware Utility it continues to re-open over and over and over again this happens every time i test in the pixel console, the only ways that I have found to stop the Hardware Utility from Re-opening is to is to unload the LOR Control Panel or pull the LOR dongle from its USB port and then plug it back in. Just wanted to know if this is happening to anyone else and if there is a way to fix this issue.

Thanks for any input.

Edited by sonoma

I have used the pixel console in HU many times and never had that issue. With that said, I'm not sure I have done that since I upgraded the show computer to 4.3.18 (the show computer was 4.3.14 during 2016 show season). I have updated it to 4.3.18, and I have several universes of pixels in my year round landscape lighting, so after I finish breakfast (I'm cooking cinnamon chocolate waffles), I'll test it and let you know the results.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

Just to clarify. Your saying the Hardware Utility reopens over and over? The program where you set the Unit Id #'s? The Comm Listener (CL) will reopen unless you Unload it as you say. That's normal. I have 4.3.18 and never have had that issue with the Hardware Utility , although I don't do DMX Pixels with E1.31.

Alan...

OK, I just tested this on my Windows XP show computer and took some screen captures, so we can make sure we're on the same page.  For the purposes of the test, I started by unloaded LOR, so started as zero.  First I started the Hardware Utility.

Hardware_Utility.png

Then selected the Pixel Console.

Pixel_Console.png

When I set the controller type to DMX Pixel, I get this message.

Start_Comm_Listener.png

Started the control panel, which brings up the comm listener:

Comm_Listener.png

I successfully controlled one of universes from the Pixel Console.  Then exited the Pixel Console, and then the Hardware Utility.  The Hardware Utility did not re-open.  That leaves the Comm Listener.  As Alan said, the Comm Listener will restart if you close it any time the control panel is running.  This is new with S4.

BTW, I repeated the same test with this Windows 7 computer with exactly the same results.  This is exactly how it should work.  For the most part, you can minimize and ignore the Comm Listener.

Jim- My comm listener runs 24/7 even when I close out LOR. I have to manually close CL.

This is on all 4 computers since I updated as well.

JR

14 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Jim- My comm listener runs 24/7 even when I close out LOR. I have to manually close CL.

This is on all 4 computers since I updated as well.

JR

When you unload LOR, not shut it down but unload it, it should shut down the CL.

35 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

When you unload LOR, not shut it down but unload it, it should shut down the CL.

Yes, that is what I meant. Guess that's what the OP was doing as well.

Since we are all on the subject, when I go into the pixel console what controller do I select for the Pixie 16 ? It will be running on a standard LOR network if it matters. I haven't got all of the parts yet but expect them any day now.

Each channel will have 50 pixels.

Thank you

JR

Thanks for all the replies. It is not the comm listener i am referring to, I know that opens when you close it.

I am referring to the Hardware Utility which is the program one would use to set chan. ID's, Test controllers and test lights etc.

Not sure if it matters at all but this is a brand new Laptop running windows 10 I have heard win. 10 if finicky. 

Anyway:D:D thanks again to all....