Light-O-Rama Forums

Can I use a network switch to connect the controllers?

brichi

Heres what is most like a "no" and a dumb question but using all LOR equipment can I come out of the RS485HS adapter and into a network switch and then dive my boxes off through that? it would seam easier in m placement of where the boxes would be vs having to run a cable from box 1 to box 2 to box and so on in a chain, would be easier and less cables to sir a Cisco switch in the middle by my windows and branch out of that. Thanks guys

This isn't TCP/IP ... it's RS845. Two completely and incompatible protocols.

(So, no, you can't.)

Edited by Don

Damn you're quick. Lol. I figured as much, just a reach before I grabbed one from work and tried. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks again. Have a good night. More playing tomorrow since I'll be snowed in :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely wont work and it MAY let the magic blue smoke out of something.

And ya' know, you just can't put the magic blue smoke back in after it's leaked out...

NOTE: Not tested with LOR equipment, Procedure Not endorsed by either myself or LOR.  (the voltages should not damage)  Adapter cables will be needed

ELK products makes a RS485 (buffered) HUB for their Home Automation system.   (I have installed lots of their systems)

http://www.elkproducts.com/products/elk-m1dbhr-m1-data-bus-hub-for-retrofit 

(don't let the 'retrofit' confuse you) These have 4 independent RS485 outputs, each with a board end terminator when driving a single line (termination. can drive 2 lines @ port that are each terminated) Y-Star pattern. of up to 4000' each out

The other board uses CAT5 that basically creates a daisy chained Star ,with an Out and Back on each CAT5, loop to next and Out again. The last jack gets the terminator. THE PINOUT IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH LOR

BTW the 4th screw term is 12V normally supplied by the host INPUT (which you will need to supply)