Jump to content
Light-O-Rama Forums
brichi

For Pixel tree, Individual nodes or use strips?

Recommended Posts

I actually really appreciate this topic! I was debating the same thing. . . Which pixels to go with on the tree, strips, or nodes?? Thankfully those two videos side by side, (well above and below) sealed my decision for me!

I'm going to go with the minority on this one, and do the nodes! I much prefer the look they provide! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used nodes to build mine. It is a 180 tree with 16 strands of 50 controlled with the pixie 16.  Mounted them using the stripes from Boscoyo Studios as well as there mega tree kit. All in all I was pretty pleased with the out come.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have both, 16x50 with strip and 48x110 with nodes.   Highly recommend the Boscoyo strip for nodes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, cdlouke said:

I used nodes to build mine. It is a 180 tree with 16 strands of 50 controlled with the pixie 16.  Mounted them using the stripes from Boscoyo Studios as well as there mega tree kit. All in all I was pretty pleased with the out come.

being I'm doing similar but with strips, why go with a Pixie16? I can get all 16 strands to run off an 8 channel and I know I won't run anything else by that controller to use more channels

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, brichi said:

being I'm doing similar but with strips, why go with a Pixie16? I can get all 16 strands to run off an 8 channel and I know I won't run anything else by that controller to use more channels

First off if you use the Pixie8  that means you will need to run two strips per port and if you are going to use ws2811's then you will have to power inject the second strip on each port. Why create more problems then you have to when you can just use a Pixie16 and eliminate a problem?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

not really, if I do a 8 foot tree I'm doing one strip so its 25 pixels up (75 leds) and 25 down so I'm only powering one 16 foot roll on 1 channel making it 2 lines out of 16 so thats a normal run

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, brichi said:

not really, if I do a 8 foot tree I'm doing one strip so its 25 pixels up (75 leds) and 25 down so I'm only powering one 16 foot roll on 1 channel making it 2 lines out of 16 so thats a normal run

Yes, you can do that but you will only be using 8 strips. I was under the impression you were using 16.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, strips are harder to make the turn at the top unlike pixel strings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also keep in mind, if you are planning on purchasing any sequences 99.9% of the sequences out there are programmed for 12 or 16 full length strips.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks, I'm doing my own, not purchasing, I am doing 8 strips, and cutting at top and using a connector to join them again so the bend won't be an issue. I can't do full 16 foot strips x16 being I can't get up that high, lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...