Light-O-Rama Forums

A collapsible spiral tree design

Ebuechner

I decided to redesign my collapsible spiral tree from products that most people would be able to use and obtain from Amazon and The Big Box hardware store. I found that the thin wall 1 inch PVC slides very nicely over the top of 1 inch EMT conduit which sparked the redesign. Everything started off with finding a 5-way 1 inch PVC connector on Amazon. I'm not done yet but I thought I would post a link to the pictures in case somebody else had ideas to share or wanted to do this themselves.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BwDgEpqsgNhfUGVoaFFjZnJwNVE

The Next Step is going to be five rings that run horizontally to hold the shape of the tree as it gets rapped, and a couple of wires that run the opposite direction of the Spiral to keep the tree from twisting. I've done this with one other tree but I only used three rings and it worked out but five rings I think will be perfect

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ebuechner said:

I decided to redesign my collapsible spiral tree from products that most people would be able to use and obtain from Amazon and The Big Box hardware store. I found that the thin wall 1 inch PVC slides very nicely over the top of 1 inch EMT conduit which sparked the redesign. Everything started off with finding a 5-way 1 inch PVC connector on Amazon. I'm not done yet but I thought I would post a link to the pictures in case somebody else had ideas to share or wanted to do this themselves.

The Next Step is going to be five rings that run horizontally to hold the shape of the tree as it gets rapped, and a couple of wires that run the opposite direction of the Spiral to keep the tree from twisting. I've done this with one other tree but I only used three rings and it worked out but five rings I think will be perfect

That's the spirit. What we need around here are some very well put together tutorials so please keep/ take notes and pics as you progress and after all complete do a simple tutorial posted.

That is a grand idea.

JR

1 minute ago, kingfish said:

we probably could get wireframe delights to make a series of circles for eight or ten foot trees

Yes, and for the work he is affordable.

This particular tree is 8 feet. My goal here is to design something that can be made from ordinary parts by somebody with  medium level building skills.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DougP said:

If you use square tubing you only need a top and bottom circle.

I don't think you're getting the design.

This one just like my other one collapses into a pancake that can be hung up on the wall That's only 3 foot round

With a center pole removed it should only have a height of 8 inches. While in storage it will have a short piece of pipe to connect the bottom and top

I just uploaded some more photos including the new tree collapsed and a picture of the old tree. The frame weighed in at 13 pounds 8 ounces with the center Pole and almost ready to hang lights on. 

well the circles could have an x frame in the center with a piece of tubing for your pipe to slide through then with cotter pins pin the top and bottom pieces  together

Think of them as looking like bicycle rims. If only they had them in an 8-10 diameter.

Some of the spokes could be removed to accommodate light strings.

JR

I'm not sure what I would gain by adding extra support to the rings in the middle? This is an upgraded version of a tree that I've been using for a couple of years and I didn't need any extra support in that one.

I'm hoping to paint the white parts black in the next couple of days so I can start hanging lights

In my redesign my goal was to make it lighter and easier to set up and take down.

the old tree took me 20 to 30 minutes to set up, I'm hoping to cut that in half.

I also wanted reduce the amount of metal to keep it lighter and minimize possible GFI trips. 

The other part of the design is to keep the inside structure open to maximize the wow factor of a spiral Tree by not obstructing The View through the middle of the tree.

my first tree held up for a couple of years without a problem but I really didn't put that much thought into it when I put it together, I'm hoping this will work a little better incorporating things that I learned from the first one.

Collapsible spiral tree 2.0

I started to add lights and so far is working out perfectly. I added some photos of my progress. With the extra Hoops in there it works like a grid to help lay out the lights

I have all the lights on the frame and so far I'm pleased with the outcome. I've uploaded new photos to show the progress

next step is to add more zip ties so the wires stay in place when it's collapsed.

43 minutes ago, Ebuechner said:

I have all the lights on the frame and so far I'm pleased with the outcome. I've uploaded new photos to show the progress

next step is to add more zip ties so the wires stay in place when it's collapsed.

If you'd like someone to help you make a well written tutorial, I'd be glad to do so. I'm well versed in PowerPoint, Word and a couple of other programs that will help. Please feel free to reach out to me if you'd like to make a full-fledged, well documented and written tutorial.

1 minute ago, lightingnewb said:

If you'd like someone to help you make a well written tutorial, I'd be glad to do so. I'm well versed in PowerPoint, Word and a couple of other programs that will help. Please feel free to reach out to me if you'd like to make a full-fledged, well documented and written tutorial.

I just might do that because that's not exactly my strong suit

Edited by Ebuechner

Very nice.  Never thought of using pex for that.  I have a couple of old incan spiral trees that I am contemplating on changing out to green LEDs this summer.  I have 2 incan green 4'-ers that that I will change out to LEDs this year.

2 minutes ago, Ebuechner said:

I just might do that because that's not exactly my strong suit

I'm all ears and ready to help. Thanks for letting me be of assistance.

7 hours ago, debtoews said:

How long are the light string you used on this tree?

I use a 70 count string I bought at the local Menards. I believe they claim to have a 22 foot lighted area. I fold those and half so I have two strings of lights for every channel. I take a few things a step further by extending the lights wires with some sp1 wire and I add a bridge rectifier to convert the light to a full wave.

• Like 1