Light-O-Rama Forums

Santa Claus Lane 2017 Visualizer Preview

scodavis

Just now, Stevem said:

Dibblejr - I am new to this forum and can't seem to find the thread you mentioned from Bill P. Can you help me?

Click on the link above with the picture of the pick up truck it will take you there. Just put your email there and politely ask for the file and or private message my friend Bill.

JR

Excellent question.  There are a total of five networks - one for each side of the street.  The houses are linked through ELL units.  In cases where it must cross to the northern street, we actually will use a combination of ELL units and Controllers to bridge the gaps.  For example, to get from the control house (3116) to the north side of the top street on the map, we will have ELL unit on south side, to ELL unit on North side, to dummy controller through backyards, to another dummy controller, to another ELL unit which broadcasts to the other street.
-Scott

Exceptional! I've heard of your show, never had the opportunity to see it in person. Look forward to someday.
How long have you been working on this project? How did you get the neighbors to get involved? For the past couple of years it seems that I've been shaming mine to at least some have begun to throw up a few strings on their roof line.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

33 minutes ago, ChrisJW said:

Exceptional! I've heard of your show, never had the opportunity to see it in person. Look forward to someday.
How long have you been working on this project? How did you get the neighbors to get involved? For the past couple of years it seems that I've been shaming mine to at least some have begun to throw up a few strings on their roof line.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Hi Chris,

@debtoews and Terry Toews had been doing the animated display on their house for several years when their next door neighbor wanted to join in.  They then did both houses for a year (I believe), and after that season were trying to decide what to add to their display.  Instead of adding more lights to their house, they decided to try to add more houses, and contacted all the remaining houses (there are 16 total) on their street to have a meeting.  About half of the remaining homes signed up immediately, and the remaining neighbors signed up within a couple weeks.  I think the last ones to join did so because they didn't want to be the only house out of 16 that wasn't lit!  The 2015 and 2016 displays were done on these 16 houses.

Before the 2016 season, residents on a different street contacted Deb and Terry and wanted to join as well.  They became the "ambassadors" of the other street and several meetings were held.  Long story short, between Norwich, Maine, and Indianapolis there are a total of 38 houses and 34 homes will be lit (some people didn't want to participate).  I'm doing the programming based on 38 houses just in case the non-participants decide later they want in.  Lights have been ordered for all homes just in case.

Coming from an inside perspective, I will tell you that it isn't without drama - nothing involving this many people is - but the end result is absolutely amazing to see in person.  If you live anywhere close to the Clovis/Fresno, CA area, it's worth seeing.  You're also welcome to come see the display on my house - this is my second year and I'll be running 195 channels and somewhere around 17,000 lights.

Thanks for the comment!

-Scott

• 2 months later...
On 2/10/2017 at 5:23 AM, Mega Arch said:

Please be advised that Scott Davis is no longer associated with Santa Claus Lane.  

Please address any questions to myself or private message me- thanks

• The topic was locked