Light-O-Rama Forums

Mini Trees

Dave76

1 hour ago, DisneyMatt10 said:

I think I might be taking a different approach to mini trees than most. After a lot of thought and planning, I decided to go with spiral mini trees, to mimic my spiral mega tree, (Maybe... we shall see...) However, what I thought was going to be an easy switch, has turned into an annoying headache. . . Like a lot of things do in this hobby... lol. So what I did:

1.) I went out and bought a lot of those old school plastic spiral Christmas trees: (Thought I had bought enough, but ended up going back and buying more.)

15697342_10158244530905643_7067122667812 

2.) I then took all of the traditional incandescent lights off of the tree: (bye bye lights)

16427610_10158456211455643_5408917213923

3.) And finally I zip-tied a strip of intelligent pixels to the remaining plastic structure:

16427465_10158456211430643_1794094004689

I still need to work on the star at the top of the tree. . . I'm trying to figure out how to open it to insert pixels into it. . . But it seems pretty sealed shut. Oh well, I'll find a way!!

I'm hoping that the trees turn out the way I want them to turn out. . . As you can see I bought a lot of them. I think it will be interesting to watch the lights spiral up and down the tree, and chase around the tree. . . I'm just hoping what I have in-visioned in my mind turns out to be as awesome as I am hoping!! Thankfully I'll know soon enough! My new controllers get delivered today!!

Is it to early to start testing lights?? :huh:

I know this might not be the exact mini trees you are looking for, but maybe an idea for future expansions! :) 

Matt, that needs to come to the OKC mini. :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Santas Helper said:

That's why I'm working on getting it done and tested! ;)

Annnnnnnnnnnndddd the controllers just got delivered!! :)

Edited by DisneyMatt10

17 minutes ago, Santas Helper said:

If you don't get one open by then I can probably figure it out. I always carry a BH (PC correctness) Big Hammer LOL

1 hour ago, dibblejr said:

If you don't get one open by then I can probably figure it out. I always carry a BH (PC correctness) Big Hammer LOL

I just managed to get it open! Turns out it just "pops" open. . . . With a little help from a screw driver!

On 1/29/2017 at 11:43 AM, caniac said:

IMG_2087_zpselxdczoh.jpg

IMG_2088_zpsfkiuezsa.jpg

These are the same ones I use, I had to go to three different Wal Marts to find 16 of them. I have used them for two years and they have been great.

SPaschall

2 hours ago, k6ccc said:

The only down side to using strip is that you wont be able to see the lights on the back quarter or so of the tree..  Let us all know how things work...

With spiraled mini trees, there is no back side.  :)

I made some this past season using a full ribbon on 48" tomato cages.  They're awesome.  Approximate build time: <10 minutes.

Edited by George Simmons

How do you not have a back side - unless you flip the strip to the inside of the sprial

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

Hate it when it sends before I'm ready....
That was supposed to continue: spiral. Otherwise the back side of the strip would be facing away from the audience.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

3 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

How do you not have a back side - unless you flip the strip to the inside of the sprial

The tree looks the same from the back as it does from the front.

13 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Otherwise the back side of the strip would be facing away from the audience.

The spiral mini trees look so good I don't think anyone even notices.  (Or cares,)

Edited by George Simmons

I know there has been a lot of talk about the spiral mini trees that I am working on. To save this thread a little I have started a "build thread" for my show, and props for this year if anyone wants to check it out: 

Thanks for all the advice today!

I visited my Walmart today and they only have the standard tomato cages today, however they now have painted ones. I have never seen them before.

10 hours ago, SPaschall said:

These are the same ones I use, I had to go to three different Wal Marts to find 16 of them. I have used them for two years and they have been great.

SPaschall

you might have been our original inspiration on these.  someone posted a pic here 2-3 years ago that I showed my wife and it sent us on the hunt.  Needed two more last year so we went on the hunt once again and found two more.

What to you do with the twisty thing on top?

I use them as a handle lol! I have thought of putting a strobe or C7/9 in there but I can't justify 16 channels for that.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, SPaschall said:

I use them as a handle lol! I have thought of putting a strobe or C7/9 in there but I can't justify 16 channels for that.

It is just big enough for a standard C9, would take some persuasion to get a C9 pixel bulb in it.  Not big enough for a Xeon Strobe.  Made a short one light C9 string for mine.

2 hours ago, SPaschall said:

I have thought of putting a strobe... but I can't justify 16 channels for that.

For strobes, just use one channel, or two to break up the firing a little.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SPaschall said:

I think as long as you are using Xeon Strobes (I think that's the name) and not LED's then can go on one channel because they fire randomly (LED strobes tend to all come on at once and don't start flashing random for at least 10+ seconds).  Santas Helper is spot on with that.

Actually I was talking about the C7/9's when talking about the channels. I have as many as 40 strobes on a channel now in our display. Thanks for the replies though.

SPaschall