Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixel String Question(s)

Dave76

Did they upgrade the boards to 5 amp? They have always been 4 amp.

I correct myself, the Pixlite 4 has 5 amp and the Pixlite 16 has 4 amp but both can be upgraded up to 7.5A. I blew all the P4 fuses and had to replace them with 5 Amp. So I know it works :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, whitebuck said:

I correct myself, the Pixlite 4 has 5 amp and the Pixlite 16 has 4 amp but both can be upgraded up to 7.5A. I blew all the P4 fuses and had to replace them with 5 Amp. So I know it works :)

Just be careful when upsizing fuses.  Each bank of 8 outputs on the Pixlite16 is only rated for 32 amps.  That's why the board comes with 4 amp fuses.  8x4=32 amps 

• Like 2

Just be careful when upsizing fuses.  Each bank of 8 outputs on the Pixlite16 is only rated for 32 amps.  That's why the board comes with 4 amp fuses.  8x4=32 amps 

Understood. So far for me the 4 amp fuses seem ok.

On the matrix where you used a Pixlite 4, did you run four banks of 288 pixels? (If I did my math correctly) I am looking at a 32 x 40 matrix which would put me at 320 pixels per channel. Also, make sure the board traces can handle the upsized fuses. I have seen burned traces over time due to higher amps being used.

On the matrix where you used a Pixlite 4, did you run four banks of 288 pixels? (If I did my math correctly) I am looking at a 32 x 40 matrix which would put me at 320 pixels per channel. Also, make sure the board traces can handle the upsized fuses. I have seen burned traces over time due to higher amps being used.

It's 1152 pixels and 7 universes. I have to check.

It's 1152 pixels and 7 universes. I have to check.

Ok, so I am running 2 universes per output 340 pixels each with the last one being the 7th universe and remaining pixels. Hope that helps. Sorry it took so long, I was out of town on business. I have the matrix 24 x 48 and 1152 pixels as that was the size of the net.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

do you mind sharing the details of the "Tune To" sign you made. I want to do something similar instead of just a plain old sign I would like to do pixel strips and make a scrolling sign or something similar. Was curious how good yours looks and what you're using, I know you mentioned pixels and a pixel grid but how many and what size? thank you!

do you mind sharing the details of the "Tune To" sign you made. I want to do something similar instead of just a plain old sign I would like to do pixel strips and make a scrolling sign or something similar. Was curious how good yours looks and what you're using, I know you mentioned pixels and a pixel grid but how many and what size? thank you!

Hello Brichi;

No problem. I used 12v Pixnodes in a 9 x 18 rectangle because that equated to 162 nodes that fit into 1 universe. I made a pvc frame and used 2" spacing pixnode net. I took the net and cut the bottom 9 rows and zip tied it to my pvc frame. I had inputs at one end and power injected at the other end. I didn't get a good video of just the sign. Smaller spacing would be better (1"), but I had the net, so I made use of what I had. It's very similar to the large matrix but I used clear net.

I want to use strip for a matrix, still working on my details of how to precisely space the strips.

Thanks,
Mike

awesome, thank you so much for the info man and awesome job on the house!

Thank You!

On 1/27/2017 at 11:35 PM, uncledan said:

It looks like this mounting hardware from Holidaycoro. http://www.holidaycoro.com/12mm-Strip-Holder-p/766.htm  I have used a ton of this stuff.  Little pricey but very clean install. Majority of my house outline has been on my house since mid 2015 with no failures.  Key is waterproofing.  

tried it with little to no luck, I found it difficult to work with so I went old school with 1/2" pvc and the 1/2" clips.

I was walking in Lowes yesterday and some some sort of aluminum channel in the windows section. It had holes in it that looked as if it would accommodate pixel nodes. Unfortunately I left my wallet in my wife's car so entire trip was a bust or I would have picked it up as a test. When I grow up to start lining my home I will probably use the pvc since I did purchase the jig to make the holes

tried it with little to no luck, I found it difficult to work with so I went old school with 1/2" pvc and the 1/2" clips.

In what way did you feel it was hard to work with? Honestly, I love the channels for strip. It was a few screws to hang and has held up well.

16 minutes ago, whitebuck said:

In what way did you feel it was hard to work with? Honestly, I love the channels for strip. It was a few screws to hang and has held up well.

never could get the translucent cap to snap on, tried pushing, tried sliding, no luck.  I now have ten of them collecting dust.

never could get the translucent cap to snap on, tried pushing, tried sliding, no luck.  I now have ten of them collecting dust.

Which strip did you try to use? Some of the 30/30 and 60/60 with Buck converters won't fit. 30/10 is what I used.

Which strip did you try to use? Some of the 30/30 and 60/60 with Buck converters won't fit. 30/10 is what I used.

1 hour ago, whitebuck said:

whatever was the cheaper waterproof strips from HC.  there was room for them but never could get the cap to snap (thought of using a rubber mallet but figured that might cause other issues).

whatever was the cheaper waterproof strips from HC.  there was room for them but never could get the cap to snap (thought of using a rubber mallet but figured that might cause other issues).

Well, I don't know without seeing, but I didn't have that problem.

3 hours ago, whitebuck said:

No problems here as well.  I have about 500 feet of the stuff on my house.  I love it!  Time consuming but very clean

I have also contemplated not using the cover and just zip tying them into the channel. I can understand if your on a ladder that it might make it harder, but the most trouble I have had was getting the cover off to change a bad strip.