Light-O-Rama Forums

Help With RGB info ... Trying to Help Another Memeber Out here

dibblejr

13 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

As Ebuecher stated, voltage drop would be a reason for power injecting but with the Pixcon the bigger reason would be because of the smaller 4 amp fuse. The Pixcon has a problem running two strings on one port so power injecting will supply power to the pixels by bypassing the fuse.

Bypassing the fuse on the controller.

you should always have a fuse on your circuits.

You can go to Amazon and buy some cheap fuse blocks or even inline fuses.

18 minutes ago, robongar said:

Re power injection. 

On the control board, what ever make used. There would 1 or maybe 2, 5v or 12v inputs. 

So, 1st bank. 1st power supply onto the board. 2nd power supply " injected" . The negatives of both power supplies would be tied together.

The positive? Does that go to ALL the string, between node #25 & # #26 for example of each string on that side of the board. Eg strings 1-8?

Please

10 minutes ago, Dennis Laff said:

Falcon controllers sells a  8 port fused power distribution board for power injecting 

Dennis, please can you give me the link to this.

So lets say we keep the 100 pixel strands. We have 300 pixels required. At the end of each 100 we add lets say a leg off a 300 watt ps. Pixel 100 would no longer be connected as far as power to the line of 101-200, however the data line would continue to be spliced between all 300?

Correct?

Once again, THANK YOU. For all the help you've given on this thread. It's all sort of clicked into place now ( we'll mostly)

a special THANK YOU to Dibblejr for starting this thread. A great team of lads on this forum. 

Once again. 

THANK YOU

3 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

So lets say we keep the 100 pixel strands. We have 300 pixels required. At the end of each 100 we add lets say a leg off a 300 watt ps. Pixel 100 would no longer be connected as far as power to the line of 101-200, however the data line would continue to be spliced between all 300?

Correct?

Wonderful, thank you. 

3 minutes ago, robongar said:

Wonderful, thank you. 

No problem, figured we'd try.

Here is the controller a lot of people talk about but I believe there is a new one coming out. This is the scary part for me but all of this is helping me learn. I just wish there was someone close by MR. P and Don  are both several hours away from me, I like to see in person.

https://www.pixelcontroller.com/store/index.php?id_product=38&controller=product

JR

Of course to determine total wattage, you just multiply the watts per pixel, so a 50 count pixel string with 30mA pixels would be 18 Watts or 1.5 amps @ 12 volts. In a 16 output pixel controller it is common that the controller will be broken, from a power standpoint, into two banks and that those banks are often around 24-30 amps.  There is a good reason for this - this also happens to be the standard amount of power of a 350 Watt power supply (12v @ 29 amps).  If all the lights connected to both banks are less than the total amount of power supplied by the power supply, a single power supply can then supply both banks of power, otherwise you may need to break the power into two banks with two separate power supplies. Should be able to run 1600 pixels per power supply just stay in the 100 per channel. 

1 hour ago, dibblejr said:

Correct?

No, there are limits on Nodes 170 is one I have seen, so you would probably use 2 connections (150 @) and those would have 2 (additional) Injected power

34 minutes ago, Derkngoogly said:

Of course to determine total wattage, you just multiply the watts per pixel, so a 50 count pixel string with 30mA pixels would be 18 Watts or 1.5 amps @ 12 volts. In a 16 output pixel controller it is common that the controller will be broken, from a power standpoint, into two banks and that those banks are often around 24-30 amps.  There is a good reason for this - this also happens to be the standard amount of power of a 350 Watt power supply (12v @ 29 amps).  If all the lights connected to both banks are less than the total amount of power supplied by the power supply, a single power supply can then supply both banks of power, otherwise you may need to break the power into two banks with two separate power supplies. Should be able to run 1600 pixels per power supply just stay in the 100 per channel. 

I cannot wait for that drive to the OKC mini.  Maybe you can build a mini matrix enroute to practice on. LOL

6 minutes ago, Dennis Laff said:

well looks like you guys got it figured out .

LOL, right. You have to remember there is always tomorrow.

Now I see why so many people have 1000's of post counts. Just trying to get into a new type of light will create those post counts to skyrocket

Edited by dibblejr

Thanks Darryl, if they don't ship to Canada, Detroit is just at the bottom of my garden.........well, plus over the river