Light-O-Rama Forums
caniac

Singing Faces using smart pixels

dibblejr    374

For ease of use and sequencing I will be keeping my singing faces old school LED until I can get under this RGB stuff. At that point I will consider changing them over.

JR

caniac    215

that's my thought too, next up is to see if I can squeeze a c6 into a 12mm hole without lube.  worst case break out the bacon fat!!!

• Like 1

dibblejr    374
39 minutes ago, caniac said:

that's my thought too, next up is to see if I can squeeze a c6 into a 12mm hole without lube.  worst case break out the bacon fat!!!

I'm actually going to add a couple spins to my singing faces

1) going to add enough outline strings so I can make them appear to shake their groove things

2) two will get some girl accents so they can sing the girl parts as required

Shouldnt be very hard to do but may need to add on to the coroplast. 

Thays a project I will start after the mini. I don't like taking breaks once I start a project

• Like 1

OzAz    26

old school LED

4 singing faces off 1 36 ch DC controller, with 4 channels spare

dougd    101

I did 4 20x30 matrix's for my singing faces this past year, I had about 60 different singing faces. My charlie brown gang was my favorite.

dibblejr    374
1 hour ago, dougd said:

I did 4 20x30 matrix's for my singing faces this past year, I had about 60 different singing faces. My charlie brown gang was my favorite.

I would so love to pick your brain on this. First season with RGB nodes this year. Cleveland, TN not to far away LOL.

JR

Dennis Laff    103
1 hour ago, OzAz said:

old school LED

4 singing faces off 1 36 ch DC controller, with 4 channels spare

Please explain how you did it ?

dougd    101
22 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

I would so love to pick your brain on this. First season with RGB nodes this year. Cleveland, TN not to far away LOL.

JR

I will dig up some videos. Anytime you want to talk about it just let me know.

dibblejr    374
1 minute ago, dougd said:

I will dig up some videos. Anytime you want to talk about it just let me know.

I know you guys just had your mini, would have liked to attend but I had pneumonia and still recovering from it. Let me know if you have any singing face seq request-, youd just have to convert to RGB. Pretty soon I will learn that. I know there is a conversion tool, I just haven't gotten around to it.

Thanks for the offer, will def take you up on it

You have some good company up that way.

JR

dougd    101
Just now, dibblejr said:

I know you guys just had your mini, would have liked to attend but I had pneumonia and still recovering from it. Let me know if you have any singing face seq request-, youd just have to convert to RGB. Pretty soon I will learn that. I know there is a conversion tool, I just haven't gotten around to it.

Thanks for the offer, will def take you up on it

You have some good company up that way.

JR

We will have a mini sometime towards the end of March, We are beginning to plan it right now.

dibblejr    374
5 minutes ago, dougd said:

We will have a mini sometime towards the end of March, We are beginning to plan it right now.

I thought I seen one posted. Glad I was wrong. I will be driving to the OKC mini.

If I am free on your mini weekend I will gladly come if y'all will accept me.

Your display is awesome! Don't know what happened to my volume button

OzAz    26
On 2/7/2017 at 2:16 PM, Dennis Laff said:

Please explain how you did it ?

Using wire frame outline with coloured M5 leds (green for outline, blue/white for eyes, yellow for lips etc) each tree is 8 individual strings (see pic). Connected to a 36 Ch DC dimmer board 

singing tree sm.jpg

• Like 1

dibblejr    374
2 minutes ago, jsheehan3 said:

Has anyone converted a holidaycoro singing tree from mini-incans/leds to pixels?  Can you just "bore" out the hole a bit more?

Its probably been done. I believe the spacing will be a large difference. Probably every 3 holes but I have not done it nor seen it done. I am happy with my mini LED faces. It has been discussed several times in the past 3 -4 months.

JR

Little_b    35

I did some Traditional Singing Faces on my 126 x 63 matrix.  I'm sure there's an easier way, esp. with SS, but here is how I did it.  Using PE I created a Picture file of the trees and inserted them into the effects generator.  I then copied the pixel assignments into excel so I could see exactly where the tree lights were lighting up and where I wanted to put the mouths.  I then created some groups of channels in SE with specific DMX assignments to create the mouths and sequence them in SE. I just had to copy the sequence command for each pixel in each mouth.  I used a technic I found from Bob-O https://vimeo.com/75183607 and adjusted it to fit how I could understand it.  Then I migrated the SE sequence into PE which created a "movie" Effect of the mouth sequence, and I added the trees picture effect all to the Matrix Prop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlK1VyrwVik

• Like 1

dibblejr    374
11 minutes ago, Little_b said:

I did some Traditional Singing Faces on my 126 x 63 matrix.  I'm sure there's an easier way, esp. with SS, but here is how I did it.  Using PE I created a Picture file of the trees and inserted them into the effects generator.  I then copied the pixel assignments into excel so I could see exactly where the tree lights were lighting up and where I wanted to put the mouths.  I then created some groups of channels in SE with specific DMX assignments to create the mouths and sequence them in SE. I just had to copy the sequence command for each pixel in each mouth.  I used a technic I found from Bob-O https://vimeo.com/75183607 and adjusted it to fit how I could understand it.  Then I migrated the SE sequence into PE which created a "movie" Effect of the mouth sequence, and I added the trees picture effect all to the Matrix Prop.

Bob is the man, a lot of us would be sol without his hard work and dedication.

JR

dibblejr    374
12 minutes ago, Little_b said:

I think he was meaning just replacing the mini leds with pixels, but you still have a great design on your roof.

jerrymac    77
On 2/6/2017 at 10:37 PM, dougd said:

Tenn Spring Mini March 25 2017

Edited by jerrymac
correction

Box on Rails    30
On 3/1/2017 at 3:40 PM, jsheehan3 said:

Has anyone converted a holidaycoro singing tree from mini-incans/leds to pixels?  Can you just "bore" out the hole a bit more?

I tried it and was not happy with the end result. When you widen out the mini holes to fit the pixels they run into each other and the coro loses stability and sages a bit. So to make it work you need to skip every other hole or skip 2 holes depending on what mouth part you are changing. They didn't look good to me.... I got fed up and just bought a pixel tree.  The pixel tree comes with 2 pieces of coro for stability and with the weight of the pixels that works fine. there is a big difference between the pixel tree and the mini light tree. 

dibblejr    374

They also make RGB acceptable faces at HC. I have not had a single problem with HC and their singing faces/ props. I had every one (coroplast) that they made but I donated my singing monster faces to an outstanding member of this community.

JR

• Like 1