Light-O-Rama Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sasmuse

What projectors are being used for whole house projection projects?

Hi All, 

This past season we added video mapping and video projection to our light show. It worked fine, and people loved it. The only problem was that the projector wasn't bright enough. Due to our yard configuration, we need to use a short throw projector. Due to our budget we purchased an Optoma X305ST which is a short throw DLP, 3000 lumen projector. 

We do other lights in addition to the projection. Like I said, it was okay, but we need a brighter projector. I'm just wondering what type of projector or projectors (if you do stacking or splitting) that other people who do projection are using?  Please let me know you your thoughts.   Thanks.

Sally Simpson

www.tisthesimpsons.com

I use a BenQ 720p short throw HT projector. Picked it up on Amazon for around $800 a couple years ago. Works great! No complaints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Cameraguy432 said:

I use a BenQ 720p short throw HT projector. Picked it up on Amazon for around $800 a couple years ago. Works great! No complaints.

What is the model number and number of lumens? Do you also incorporate other lights into your display?  Or is it strictly house projection?  Do you have any videos of your display?

Edited by sasmuse
  • Like 1

What is the model number and number of lumens? Do you also incorporate other lights into your display?  Or is it strictly house projection?  Do you have any videos of your display?

It's a BenQ W770ST. Bought back in 2014 from Amazon. It's 2500 lumens, and the fact that it's short throw makes all the difference.

I have other lights in my display, but have strategically removed some to keep things bright. Like my roofline and hedges.

Sorry I dont currently have any video on my phone!

I don't want to open up a big debate on this subject as I find this just a personal opinion but I use a presentation type projector instead of a home theater type. Currently using a Epson EX7210

Class
digital projector
  • Recommended Use presentation and multimedia
  • Type LCD projector
  • Portability portable
  • Min Image Size 33 in
  • Max Image Size 318 in
  • Color Support 16.7 million colors
  • Max Resolution (Resized)1400 x 1050
  • Native Resolution 1280 x 800
  • Display Resolution AbbreviationWXGA
  • High Definition
  • Native Aspect Ratio16:10
  • Brightness2800
  • Brightness (Color )2800
  • Contrast Ratio 3000:1
  • Min Screen  Distance3 ft
  • Max Screen  Distance30 ft
  • Throw Ratio 1.30 - 1.56:1
  • Digital Zoom Factor 1.2x
  • Display Format 1,024,000 pixels (1,280 x 800) x 3
  • Projector Features EPSON 3LCD technology

Ok, got to ask cause i am curious is this for windows from inside? Or outside onto the house? Saw some cool ones on the house and want to do it but clueless! Any help and a vid would be great

don

3 main types of projection

1. inside projecting onto windows - eg "Virtual Santa" << did this last year and was a big hit for not much money (you don't need as good a projector as you do for outside)

2. outside - just projecting pictures or patterns onto parts of the house, eg garage door

3. outside - "projection mapping" - where the whole house becomes the display surface, eg a link from google