Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixel Tree...Strips or Nodes?

Dcroc

44 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Doesn't each pixel node have 3 LED's? That's how I got my calculation earlier. If not then I can cut mine down by 2/3

Nodes use a single Pixel.

Strips usually areally 3 LEDs per pixel but not always. 

I run 168 pixels per output on my controller. I set my controller up to do a hundred watts per output. Each output is set with a 7.5 amp fuse. It's split up with four 400-watt power supplies, each power supply drives for outputs on the controller. I know what the numbers say for the wattage and amp draw but I found the reality to be a little different.

When I did a load test with 168 pixels (nodes) with full White at 11.8 volts I think I was at about 6. Amp draw. Then of course my controller is set to operate at 50% which reduces the load even more.

9 minutes ago, Ebuechner said:

Nodes use a single Pixel.

Strips usually areally 3 LEDs per pixel but not always. 

I run 168 pixels per output on my controller. I set my controller up to do a hundred watts per output. Each output is set with a 7.5 amp fuse. It's split up with four 400-watt power supplies, each power supply drives for outputs on the controller. I know what the numbers say for the wattage and amp draw but I found the reality to be a little different.

When I did a load test with 168 pixels (nodes) with full White at 11.8 volts I think I was at about 6. Amp draw. Then of course my controller is set to operate at 50% which reduces the load even more.

based on that calculation my .3 watt per pixel x 50 strands = 15 watts. After reading every night and day about RGB's everyone says so many different things about power supply and demand. Even how many LED's per pixel node. What controllers and will they interface with the LOR AC controllers (play well with SE/PE/SS) I am trying to use the K.I.S.S. for my first year. trying to get this all together so I don't miss the sales.

1 minute ago, dibblejr said:

based on that calculation my .3 watt per pixel x 50 strands = 15 watts. After reading every night and day about RGB's everyone says so many different things about power supply and demand. Even how many LED's per pixel node. What controllers and will they interface with the LOR AC controllers (play well with SE/PE/SS) I am trying to use the K.I.S.S. for my first year. trying to get this all together so I don't miss the sales.

just by pixels when the sales are there. I have totes full of pixels for future projects that I haven't even thought of yet. Just remember the one who dies with the most toys-WINS!

1 minute ago, dibblejr said:

Also a first year

Think of how many Power leads (paired) each has

Dumb RGB have 3 : R, G, B are the returns for the 5/12V.= 3 LEDS

Smart RGB only has 1 set of power

So, am I to understand that if I go with strips, the tree would end up being 16.5' tall?

Also, what do you use to support the strips?

1 hour ago, Dcroc said:

So, am I to understand that if I go with strips, the tree would end up being 16.5' tall?

Also, what do you use to support the strips?

I used pixel mounting strips from Boscoyo Studios, I attach with a gizmo from ChristmasLightShow, and  use there topper.  attaching pics

IMG_6385_zpsfdpy2p8m.jpg

IMG_6384_zps613l6dfg.jpg

IMG_6386_zpszfm0r1z8.jpg

IMG_6387_zpsr98vpg1e.jpg

the pixel mounting strips are "budget friendly" at $1.40 each, takes two strips plus about a foot to get you the length you need for the smart strips.  Once my wife and I figured out a system we were able to make one of these in under two minutes.  the material cuts easily with scissors yet is tough enough to handle the winds here.

On Thursday, January 19, 2017 at 7:22 PM, dibblejr said:

Yes, mine too, just wandering how tall it was and if you happen to know the base diameter and spacing. Im assuming when I change to pixels I will use a little different spacing because of the brightness and the graphics Id like to do.

Thanks for the info that you can provide. my base is 110" diameter, tower 20' spacing between each string like 19.5"

My twins post....

2 minutes ago, a31ford said:

My twins post....

Ive been to Manitoba, I grew up way upstate NY and retired from Fort Drum which pretty much borders you.

Believe this or not, it took my wife and I 9 hours once to reenter the US. All because I purchased a paper shredder in Watertown, NY and it stayed in the trunk (boot) while we went to a Josh Grobin concert in Quebec, never went back since. They removed all seats, was confused about my license plates, drivers license, wife is Asian but born in USA, didn't believe her. They actually had us separated upon questioning. Because I was on leave I could not produce my Military ID. That would have been a major problem.

Of course they are US officials coming back in but man. We did see several black bears on our travel playing in a field. I am used to black bears though.

LOL, im quite sure YOU are glad you never came back to Manitoba. It's a gawd awful place. Cold as heck, tons of snow had to give up on our christmas show this year.. you can only see the heads of our 5ft tall toy solders because of the snow we got...

Actually I LOVE snow and cold. As I stated I am from the snow belt (used to get a lot more when I was growing up). At Fort Drum we got feet per hour, Of course you get other gifts with the snow and cold. Children. I always wanted to drive across Canada from Thousands Island Bridge to over in Seattle- Vancouver but never made it. :(

• The topic was locked