Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX and LOR

Archer

No hints or helpful suggestions on actually sequencing pixels?

Edited by Archer
Spelling error

10 hours ago, Archer said:

No hints or helpful suggestions on actually sequencing pixels?

That's a loaded question that can get you many different answers all based off of personal preference. 

Start off with what program you want to use, Superstar, sequence editor, pixel editor, xlights, vixen, light show Pro, and a few others.

There are RUMORS that light O Rama is going to integrate all the programs together to work better with each other so that may be a wait and see if you want to pay for their program ( app ).

Pixel editor is copied off of xlights but xlights is free so you could download it and try it out with no Loss. Vixen is also free but I've never used it. 

So what do you want to use for sequencing?

I should add that sequence editor works fine and is a good program until your channel count starts going up, especially with pixels. At that point it's useful to get a program that will sequence things in groups easier then sequence editor.

I am a diehard Light o Roma fan.....having said that, I have close to 50 controllers and 150,000 lights mostly incan's and not 1 pixel. I also have 75,000 new mini lights on the shelf for whatever reason, new ideas or replacement. I am infatuated with all the pixel stuff I have been reading and want to replace/convert some of my display components with pixels. When you have 50 controllers already its a sizeable investment and any venture outside dumb LED and incandescent lights would be a serious move. This is why I am doing so much research before taking the plunge IF I take the plunge and asking for input from everybody willing to part with their knowledge. To pixel or to not pixel, that is the question.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Archer said:

I am a diehard Light o Roma fan.....having said that, I have close to 50 controllers and 150,000 lights mostly incan's and not 1 pixel. I also have 75,000 new mini lights on the shelf for whatever reason, new ideas or replacement. I am infatuated with all the pixel stuff I have been reading and want to replace/convert some of my display components with pixels. When you have 50 controllers already its a sizeable investment and any venture outside dumb LED and incandescent lights would be a serious move. This is why I am doing so much research before taking the plunge IF I take the plunge and asking for input from everybody willing to part with their knowledge. To pixel or to not pixel, that is the question.

I myself moved from Lor AC controllers too dumb RGB now to Smart pixels.

I would suggest jumping over the dumb RGB stuff the smart pixels give you so much more and most of the time with less wires. 

If you're committed to the Lor software then you're going to have to choose if you want to use Superstar or pixel editor to make your life easier.  (Or both with the  new software package coming out )I tried to use pixel editor and found it rather frustrating. And knowing that it's a copy of xlights I decided to try xlights and that's what I'm currently using. I'm hoping that the new Lor software package will work better and hopefully have a better price structure that doesn't drive people away. Start looking up YouTube tutorial videos for Pixel editor and Superstar to decide what you're comfortable with. 

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 7:48 PM, Archer said:

..... I'm contemplating replacing them with mini LED.......

WOW!

Took me a long time to reply as it had to wait until I was conscious again - many, many days.......

For mega trees, roofline (like you've already sneaked in) & etc, I think you should stay with full-wave sealed LEDs. Like HLE is having their pre-sale right now. Great lights. Not one failure for me yet. Beautiful vibrant colors. http://www.holiday-light-express.com/

Now, to replace your minis - I know you like the warm white look. But for minis, didn't need to be full wave. The big box lights work fine. Best deal I did was Hobby Lobby pure white. But they carry your warm whites too. They used to carry GE's LEDs. Now they have the same China plant private label for them. So the Hobby Lobby lights are quality, for a box store light. The warm white LED minis with their name on them are part number 5276605. It's a 50 count lighted length 13' - so about 3"cc, which is about as close as you're gonna find to what you are used to with incans. When they went private label, they passed the savings on to us. Went from $9.99 / box to $5.99 / box. They put their lights out on their shelves in August every year. I have 3 stores near me. They all take an app coupon for 40% off 1 item per day. I had myself, my wife and two of my nieces all buying for my everyday. I would get 12 boxes per day. Not sure if this cost savings method will work for you though seeing it's 36 miles to your closest Hobby Lobby.... And that would be difficult time wise too.... Whatever you do - all I can say is:

IT'S ABOUT TIME YOU CAME TO YOUR SENSES.

LOL my friend...

• Like 1

My roofline and icycle lights are currently LED. If I make a conversion its going to involve a heavy pixel outcome.

/\/\/\

I also used to like the warm white, however after switching to c9-s on my roof line this year I am regretting not getting the bright whites. The c9's almost appear yellow from afar and it really showed during the blue and white Thin Blue Line sequence. Interesting about Hobby Lobby, maybe I am just overlooking but I haven't seen many string light sets at ours. Going to have to look sooner this year.

JR

/\/\/\
I also used to like the warm white, however after switching to c9-s on my roof line this year I am regretting not getting the bright whites. The c9's almost appear yellow...

Pretty much the same here. The first lighting I put in as past of my year round landscape lighting was warm white LED light rope. It looked fine until the day I turned on some RGB strips under my front porch steps. Standing at the end of my driveway, looking at the steps, there was six meters of the rope light on a brick tree ring right in the field of view. It looked so bad that I brought my wife out for a look. Her first reaction was that the steps looked great, and the light rope had to go. I ordered a bunch more RGB strips from Ray Wu that evening.
Because I'm somewhat of a cheapskate, I kept the rope light and am using it in places where it does not matter - such as some work lights inside my brick columns, in my attic where my AC controller is located and several conduits terminate, and inside my data cabinet. In other words, places where no one but me ever sees it.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

Jim- yeah being old school my experience was based on the bluish/ purpleish tint that used to come with the led lights. Since I was just buying the C9s that was buried in my brain so that's why I went with the warm/ soft white. I do prefer the warm/ soft white in my home. I just had all of my can lights replaced with war white LED's and the wife and I both love them.

I guess led's have come a long ways. LOL

49 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Because I'm somewhat of a cheapskate, I kept the rope light and am using it in places where it does not matter - such as some work lights inside my brick columns, in my attic where my AC controller is located and several conduits terminate, and inside my data cabinet. In other words, places where no one but me ever sees it.

AC controller  (or any electronics) in an Attic ? Is it air conditioned?  Attics get screaming hot (140+).  Those kinds of heat numbers are not even really good for storage

4 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

AC controller  (or any electronics) in an Attic ? Is it air conditioned?  Attics get screaming hot (140+).  Those kinds of heat numbers are not even really good for storage

Ive had me security DVR along with several other electronic devises in my attic in Alabama since 2008, no problems yet. The only vents in my attic are the air generated turbines X 4. Also all of my controllers have been stored in one of my storage barns/ garages without a problem. Down here almost all AC components along with hot water heaters are all in attics. My current home though my ac and hw heater are in my garage.

1 minute ago, dibblejr said:

Ive had me security DVR along with several other electronic devises in my attic in Alabama since 2008, no problems yet. The only vents in my attic are the air generated turbines X 4. Also all of my controllers have been stored in one of my storage barns/ garages without a problem. Down here almost all AC components along with hot water heaters are all in attics. My current home though my ac and hw heater are in my garage.

AC as in power, not HVAC ;)  (don't have that. House rarely breaks 85 on the hottest days. Window Fans at night to drag it back down. 50% is a Humid day :P)

You ve been lucky , my antenna amps would stop working during the day, and finally died. All now live in a 'media panel' behind the bathroom door (easy cabling access from attic)

20 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

AC as in power, not HVAC ;)  (don't have that. House rarely breaks 85 on the hottest days. Window Fans at night to drag it back down. 50% is a Humid day :P)

You ve been lucky , my antenna amps would stop working during the day, and finally died. All now live in a 'media panel' behind the bathroom door (easy cabling access from attic)

Sorry, I meant HVAC, but I commonly just say AC since most people do not know what HVAC is. LOL

There is a temperature probe off my environmental monitor that is inside the case of the AC controller, so yes I know exactly how hot it gets. There are four turbine vents in the attic, and by next summer there will be a powered vent fan right above the controller and a new wall vent (air intake) fairly close so it should be cooler next summer. The highest I have seen it is 135. It's powered 24x7, but of course it's much cooler by the time the lights come on in in the evening. If you really want to look, go to http://newburghlights.org:10020 and see what temperature it is. It's 87.12 as I type this. The temperature in discussion is labeled as "East attic".
I store most of my show up there about 10 feet from this controller. Warm enough today that I think it will be tomorrow morning before I put the show away - just dis-assembly today...

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

If im to convert to pixels, I'll have to sell off some of my controllers.....

What is the going selling price of a 16 channel controller?

On a number of on-line auction sites, you'll often find folks actually selling used controllers at 150% or better of the brand new price from LOR.   People just don't do their research anymore.       

Your answer really depends on the hardware version, age and usage.   Right now they generally seem to be more reasonably priced at 70-90% retail price, but some of those have ridiculous shipping fees.  If you're going to use a bidding site on at least Gen 3, I'd start at about 75% retail and let it go up from there.     

A lot of people are talking about abandoning Incan lighting.   A balance between incans and LEDs is the key. Hint: If you've set your mind on selling, you might want to try to do so soon as the LOR spring and summer sales should be right around the corner.

Personally I will not consider buying from any other site than LOR. (or another light site forum) Why, you may ask. Because if they have a working unit why would they attempt to sell outside of LOR. Most users here know one another and if something was to go wrong with the transaction then all youd have to do is ask your fellow LOR enthusiast for assistance.

That's IMHO

I have previously seen people selling on CL, one I contacted didn't know anything about using the controller, why would I buy from them?

JR

Edited by dibblejr

• The topic was locked