Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX and LOR

Archer

36 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

So just crimp a 120 ohm resistor betweens pins 4 and 5? Does it matter what wattage or does it have to be specific?

nope, I pick the wattage by lead size (gauge) to make a good 'crimp'.  I use 1/W because they worked best with the CAT6 plugs I have on hand.

CAT5 and CAT6 standards call out different MINIMUM wire gauges..  No RJ45 plugs.  Make a pigtail out of a Patch cable. 4+5 are blu and White-blu

1-2   are usually  the Green wh-grn pair or Orange wh-Or  pair  (look which is on the edge )

3 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

nope, I pick the wattage by lead size (gauge) to make a good 'crimp'.  I use 1/W because they worked best with the CAT6 plugs I have on hand.

CAT5 and CAT6 standards call out different MINIMUM wire gauges..  No RJ45 plugs.  Make a pigtail out of a Patch cable. 4+5 are blu and White-blu

1-2   are usually  the Green wh-grn pair or Orange wh-Or  pair  (look which is on the edge )

Can I just take rj45 connector and crimp a resistor into it then plug the connector in?

If you crimp a resistor into an RJ-45 plug, use a 1/8 watt resistor.  That gets the wire leads down to about the same size as Cat-5 wire (which is what the connector is designed for).

1 minute ago, Mr. P said:

Can I just take rj45 connector and crimp a resistor into it then plug the connector in?

Yes

I love Paladin Tools RJ system. They cost more, but easier to get right the first time as all the wires poke out the end allowing visual checks before crimp and trim.

Note CAT5 and CAT6 strain reliefs (if you use them)  need to be kept separate, they are not interchangeable :(

This was all good stuff.....now if pixels could be explained like this topic was....

Thanks Mr. P, printed that out and it is very helpful. Have any practical hands on hints?

• Like 1

Useful chart but it is important to light up the lights you will be using and play with levels to get the colors you like or want. Also note that it's important to do the color tests with the lights as close as possible to the actual location that they will be used. Things like background and ambient light can have substantial effects (think about ambient light from a sodium vapor streetlight changing the look, for example). Pixels from different sources or even different production batches may look different. Related to that, always buy spares when you buy pixels, so you will have spares from the same production batches when you need them.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

7 hours ago, slim00209 said:

What are you asking for the actidongle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$35.00. Does that sound fair? It was $60 when I bought it now I see there going for $45 plus shipping. 

$35.00. Does that sound fair? It was $60 when I bought it now I see there going for $45 plus shipping. 

Is that with shipping or how much shipping to 93610?

4 hours ago, slim00209 said:

Is that with shipping or how much shipping to 93610?

U.s. postal says a flat rate box would be $7.15. Would you cover $5.00 making it an even $40.00 to keep it simple.