Jump to content
Light-O-Rama Forums
Aaron Bullock

What will I need

Recommended Posts

I am having a hard time figuring out exactly what I will need in order to perform the light show that I want to perform. I will be buying a lot of RGB LED lights. I want the lights to be able to both change colors and move to music. I have a lot of property and I understand that I may need more than one LOR controller. What else do I need to make this happen? Which software do I need, are there certain things that I need to make the LOR compatible with RGB, etc? Please help me with terminology that I can understand. I need to know what items to put in my cart to make this type of light show happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's diving right in head first, probably the best way to go.

Do you already decorate with led or incans? If so maybe think about adding just one element that would be RGB just to get a feel of it. Like a mega tree or matrix. Just add them to what you already have.

Sign up for the LOR news letter. There is a big sale coming up but you must be quick. If you mis out there is another sale in the summer.

If you do already decorate and have multiple strands of different colors you can build things like arch's and make them do different colors and effects through sequencing.

You can buy complete starter packages, plug and play.

Its a fun hobby, if you can imagine it, it can be done.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Aaron Bullock said:

I am having a hard time figuring out exactly what I will need in order to perform the light show that I want to perform. I will be buying a lot of RGB LED lights. I want the lights to be able to both change colors and move to music. I have a lot of property and I understand that I may need more than one LOR controller. What else do I need to make this happen? Which software do I need, are there certain things that I need to make the LOR compatible with RGB, etc? Please help me with terminology that I can understand. I need to know what items to put in my cart to make this type of light show happen. 

To help you, you're going to need a computer you can dedicate to your show. I recommend an old laptop or computer you don't use often. For each computer that will be used for the show, you'll need to have the LOR software and any other sequencing software you want to use installed. S4 of the LOR software is found on the website for download. You'll buy a license when you buy a controller, I recommend basic plus. If you're doing a mix of RGB and LED lights, a controller you could buy is known as a "showtime" controller. This has a component integrated with it that allows you to run your show without the computer, so long as you have an SD card reader/writer. You also will need an FM transmitter to spread the audio. I suggest reading the other forums and look for more information on the website. Make yourself known and ask your questions. Just like in school, more than likely other people have the same question, so ask ask ask! Ask as soon as you have it, as others do get busy and pay less attention to the forums around September.

 

The controller you will need, as mentioned above, to drive your RGB lights, will be either a CMB24D or a smart RGB controller. Smart RGBs are different from dumb ones. In the former, you can controller each pixel individually (think each individual light in a string of lights), while the latter only allows for the light strip to light up a single color at once.

 

Thanks for joining us all in this addiction hobby.

 

Last note of advice: take lots of pictures of your process and make a blog or website to log all of your work. Make note of what worked and didn't so you don't make the same mistake year-to-year. Invest in zipties... we bought 1000 zips thinking we'd barely use them ... three years later the bag has barely any left. Create an organized labeling scheme for your plugs and controllers and anything you hang on your house (i.e. for your eaves) so you know which thing goes where and which plug goes to which outlet... takes time to initiate but is worth it in the long run. SPT-2 (vampire wire) will be your friend too.

 

That's all for my rant. Please contact me any time if you need extra help.

goldinglights@gmail.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RGB lights don't work with standard controller.
You use RGB controllers for that.


Is there any way to converge the two? I want my lights to be able to change colors and also be able to move to music. Is there any way to use both controllers for the same sets of lights?

Thank you for your response!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
That's diving right in head first, probably the best way to go.
Do you already decorate with led or incans? If so maybe think about adding just one element that would be RGB just to get a feel of it. Like a mega tree or matrix. Just add them to what you already have.
Sign up for the LOR news letter. There is a big sale coming up but you must be quick. If you mis out there is another sale in the summer.
If you do already decorate and have multiple strands of different colors you can build things like arch's and make them do different colors and effects through sequencing.
You can buy complete starter packages, plug and play.
Its a fun hobby, if you can imagine it, it can be done.
JR


I have decorated with all types of Christmas lights since I was 5 (27 now). I have recently started to transition into RGB and LED lights. I have a general idea of how the sequencing works, but I plan to toy around with it for the next 11 months. Growing up, we were always the house to see and my brother and I have continued that tradition on our own homes. We are both just very interested in light shows. However, we just don't want to buy things that aren't necessary or are not compatible. Do you know if RGB controllers can be connected with LOR controllers to produce color changing and dancing functions on the same strand? I have an addictive personality (as does my brother) when it comes to exterior illumination. I want to have the best light show in town, but I also want to avoid buying things that I don't actually need. Any advise on what hardware would be the best to get to perform the functions that I want to perform?

Thank you very much for your response!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
To help you, you're going to need a computer you can dedicate to your show. I recommend an old laptop or computer you don't use often. For each computer that will be used for the show, you'll need to have the LOR software and any other sequencing software you want to use installed. S4 of the LOR software is found on the website for download. You'll buy a license when you buy a controller, I recommend basic plus. If you're doing a mix of RGB and LED lights, a controller you could buy is known as a "showtime" controller. This has a component integrated with it that allows you to run your show without the computer, so long as you have an SD card reader/writer. You also will need an FM transmitter to spread the audio. I suggest reading the other forums and look for more information on the website. Make yourself known and ask your questions. Just like in school, more than likely other people have the same question, so ask ask ask! Ask as soon as you have it, as others do get busy and pay less attention to the forums around September.
 
The controller you will need, as mentioned above, to drive your RGB lights, will be either a CMB24D or a smart RGB controller. Smart RGBs are different from dumb ones. In the former, you can controller each pixel individually (think each individual light in a string of lights), while the latter only allows for the light strip to light up a single color at once.
 
Thanks for joining us all in this addiction hobby.
 
Last note of advice: take lots of pictures of your process and make a blog or website to log all of your work. Make note of what worked and didn't so you don't make the same mistake year-to-year. Invest in zipties... we bought 1000 zips thinking we'd barely use them ... three years later the bag has barely any left. Create an organized labeling scheme for your plugs and controllers and anything you hang on your house (i.e. for your eaves) so you know which thing goes where and which plug goes to which outlet... takes time to initiate but is worth it in the long run. SPT-2 (vampire wire) will be your friend too.
 
That's all for my rant. Please contact me any time if you need extra help.
goldinglights@gmail.com


Thank you very much for your response! This was very informative! I have never been the type to go on forums, but I am glad I did and I will continue to use these forums for help. Hopefully I can help others in the future! The fact that your username is lightnewb and you were able to help so much reassures me!

Thank you!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Aaron Bullock said:

 


I have decorated with all types of Christmas lights since I was 5 (27 now). I have recently started to transition into RGB and LED lights. I have a general idea of how the sequencing works, but I plan to toy around with it for the next 11 months. Growing up, we were always the house to see and my brother and I have continued that tradition on our own homes. We are both just very interested in light shows. However, we just don't want to buy things that aren't necessary or are not compatible. Do you know if RGB controllers can be connected with LOR controllers to produce color changing and dancing functions on the same strand? I have an addictive personality (as does my brother) when it comes to exterior illumination. I want to have the best light show in town, but I also want to avoid buying things that I don't actually need. Any advise on what hardware would be the best to get to perform the functions that I want to perform?

Thank you very much for your response!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Also my first LOR year  (but 50 years of hanging Holiday lights)

 

Smart Pixels 'Dance' (individually addressable) but do all the other stuff a Dumb RGB string can do

2 kinds of strings, 2 different boards BUT they all can be part of the same LOR Show network  (see some of the various daisy chains  in the FAQ http://www1.lightorama.com/typical-setups/)

Your S4 license level determines How Many  and what kind of boards Basic Plus allows 4 controllers

depending on which, you get more sync to Audio tools http://www1.lightorama.com/sequencing-suite-levels/  You can always upgrade   (I bought the basic starter :/ Gonna upgrade for this year <sigh> )

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Also my first LOR year  (but 50 years of hanging Holiday lights)
 
Smart Pixels 'Dance' (individually addressable) but do all the other stuff a Dumb RGB string can do
2 kinds of strings, 2 different boards BUT they all can be part of the same LOR Show network  (see some of the various daisy chains  in the FAQ http://www1.lightorama.com/typical-setups/)
Your S4 license level determines How Many  and what kind of boards Basic Plus allows 4 controllers
depending on which, you get more sync to Audio tools http://www1.lightorama.com/sequencing-suite-levels/  You can always upgrade   (I bought the basic starter :/ Gonna upgrade for this year )
 

Thank you very much! I couldn't seem to find anything like those links you provided on the website! I must have been looking in the wrong spot! This has been far easier than the 4 hour phone calls my brother and I have had the past two nights to try and figure all of this out!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, lightingnewb said:

Invest in zipties... we bought 1000 zips thinking we'd barely use them ... three years later the bag has barely any left.

Sharon said something a few weeks ago.  We were across the street - watching the lights, naturally - when she asked if I truly had an understanding of just how far from reality our Christmas lights have departed?

That zip tie sentence just brought her words crashing back at me.  I go through 1500 - 2000 zip ties (mostly 4") in two or three months during prop season, and then another 400-500 zips (mostly 8") during setup.  Sometimes it feels like I go through the entire year with zips and cutters in my pockets.  And I'm probably not even close to what some others use.  It can get out of control much more quickly than a new person realizes.

 

On 1/12/2017 at 8:08 PM, Aaron Bullock said:

I need to know what items to put in my cart to make this type of light show happen. 

Display videos are a great source of ideas to steal borrow.  When you see something you like, go ahead and drop that person a line and ask what it takes.

Edited by George Simmons

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Aaron Bullock said:

 


Is there any way to converge the two? I want my lights to be able to change colors and also be able to move to music. Is there any way to use both controllers for the same sets of lights?

Thank you for your response!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

 

I don't quite understand what you are asking.

 

You don't use the standard Light-O-Rama controllers (Like the CTB16PC) for RGB lights. 

You use low voltage controllers (Like the CMB24D). These let you change the colour and synchronize the lights with music.

 

All Light-O-Rama controllers, as far as I am aware, allow you to control the lights from a computer. You need to program sequences to each song in the sequence editor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, EmmienLightFan said:

I don't quite understand what you are asking.

 

You don't use the standard Light-O-Rama controllers (Like the CTB16PC) for RGB lights. 

You use low voltage controllers (Like the CMB24D). These let you change the colour and synchronize the lights with music.

 

All Light-O-Rama controllers, as far as I am aware, allow you to control the lights from a computer. You need to program sequences to each song in the sequence editor. 

Adding on to this - LOR controllers can be "plug n play" if you buy a showtime controller that has a "brain" on its own and runs off an SD card.

http://www1.lightorama.com/rgb-controllers/ <- This is about Dumb RGBs

http://www1.lightorama.com/pixcon16/ <- All about smart RGBs

http://www1.lightorama.com/stc-starter-package/ <- Showtime Central Starter Package

http://www1.lightorama.com/rgb-starter-package/ <- Dumb RGB Starter Package

http://www1.lightorama.com/generic-starter-package/ <- Generic Starter Package

Read these to help you figure out what you need.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been about a week, so I wanted to bump this to see if everyone understands what's been offered.

 

goldinglights@gmail.com || Email me for a direct response, more help, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, lightingnewb said:

It's been about a week, so I wanted to bump this to see if everyone understands what's been offered.

 

goldinglights@gmail.com || Email me for a direct response, more help, etc.

Did I miss it? Maybe some classes? There are probably several of us new to RGB 2017 people out here. I would be able to take a class next month once I am feeling better.

Last day of pills today, Dr said two weeks which is 1 more week and the way I feel today, I just don't see it.

JR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe, then you will learn to hang in your harness. Correctly. 

Hope you feeling better each day. 

Edited by robongar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...