Light-O-Rama Forums

Why round (360) trees?

TheDucks

Many of the big show  trees I have seen appear to be a full cone.

Is there a reason?  Most of the view is in front

The last 2 years I made a 12' 1/2 round tree with 9 strands of weed wacker cord with simple LED strands (and a Star on top)

This year, those strands were on a LOR controller (How fast my 16 channels went )

Just curious

BTW I've ordered a bunch of RGB tapes and am waiting for controller sales. Sigh there goes my beer money

Full cone makes sense to me if there's viewing angles from the sides or the rear.  Other than that it's pretty much builder's/spouse's preference. 

When I used a straight-line mega tree it was a flat 180 degree model.  My motivator in this hobby was Carson Williams and that's how he did it.  Plus, there was nowhere to see it except from the front and I had *only* 144 channels that first year and I wanted to use them in as many elsewheres as I could.  To see it on videos it's hard to tell it's a flat one. 

PS - If all you sacrifice in this hobby is beer money, you're getting off easy.

Edited by George Simmons
  • Like 2

Thanks.    1/2 is good

My yard is nothing like those in most I have about  18' x30 to work wit +2 parking spaces

9 hours ago, TheDucks said:

Many of the big show  trees I have seen appear to be a full cone.

Is there a reason?  Most of the view is in front

The last 2 years I made a 12' 1/2 round tree with 9 strands of weed wacker cord with simple LED strands (and a Star on top)

This year, those strands were on a LOR controller (How fast my 16 channels went )

Just curious

BTW I've ordered a bunch of RGB tapes and am waiting for controller sales. Sigh there goes my beer money

WHOA!!!   Easy there!  You are gonna need that beer when the wife finds out what you have spent. if you don't have it, you won't be able to not care about all the bitchin'.  Plan ahead, buddy......plan ahead.

Edited by Dcroc

Sounds like a lot of beer. About 1600 to be exact (depending on where he's drinking) or how many one dollar bills going to the dancers.

JR

13 hours ago, George Simmons said:

When I used a straight-line mega tree it was a flat 180 degree model.  My motivator in this hobby was Carson Williams and that's how he did it. 

Carson didn't have a 180 flat mega tree. It was 360.

I use 360 because of the spinning/chasing around rather than side to side.

Of course I use C6 strands so all strands can be seen from any angle.

6 minutes ago, Santas Helper said:

I use 360 because of the spinning/chasing around rather than side to side.

Of course I use C6 strands so all strands can be seen from any angle.

How to Spin is going to be a later question.

I can't believe those pixel codes are hand placed b I just manage 'chase' this yoar :)

3 hours ago, Santas Helper said:

Carson didn't have a 180 flat mega tree. It was 360.

Damn!  Ruined my day.  I could have swore I remembered is as a flat tree against his house.

Now I can't help but wonder how many other synchronized lights pioneers confused me that easily.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BygIKvMuBWZSMmFhSlhLdDdMdFU/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BygIKvMuBWZSbDh0ODl4T1N4UE0/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BygIKvMuBWZSbU9ES29aMFlEb2s/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BygIKvMuBWZSYVNMdzVDTUc0c2c/view?usp=sharing

The above pictures are of my newest addition this year - a 7ft tall PVC Christmas tree made of twelve channels. 4 red, 4 green, 4 white. I've included our entry for the Shining Bright contest below as well. Please let me know if this helps.

I use a 270 degree tree because I have some people viewing the display slightly from the sides. Plus I use pixels & if I was to go 360 degree ( like I did the first year with pixels ) I found that on many patterns the pixels on the back of the tree would compete with the front and it didn't look good.

On a different note lightingnewb the OCD in me had to mention that the white tree on the left side of the yard has a light out !! :D  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Darryl Lambert said:

I use a 270 degree tree because I have some people viewing the display slightly from the sides. Plus I use pixels & if I was to go 360 degree ( like I did the first year with pixels ) I found that on many patterns the pixels on the back of the tree would compete with the front and it didn't look good.

On a different note lightingnewb the OCD in me had to mention that the white tree on the left side of the yard has a light out !! :D  

Darryl,

We didn't have a replacement bulb because we couldn't find it. Like a cliche Christmas miracle, the light came back on Christmas eve.