Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie Pixie 16 Question

Arteom

For 2017 I calculated that it would be much cheaper to outline my house with RGB Nodes instead of buying separate colored strings, I also found that it costs the same, or in some cases even less expensive, to use WS2811 Pixels vs dumb nodes (my original plan) 

Cutting the fat, here is question.

If I purchase a pixie16, I plan to primarily treat my LED's as dumb strings with fairly minimal pixelation, I find the pixel editor to be too complicated for my skill set and will stick to SE. My question is, do I simply install the board in Hardware utility and then treat every individual channel as a CCR in sequence editor? 

Any links to relevant posts would also be a big help as I try to grasp the fundamentals on how I get this thing to work. 

Thanks everyon! Stay warm out there while taking down the display!

If you are still running S4 ver 4.1.2 as your profile shows you will need to upgrade to at least 4.3.16 in order to configure the board.

If you're reasonably proficent with the SE, there's absolutely no reason why you can't use that, especially if you're starting out as you describe using pixels mostly as dumb RGB.

There's still a few of us who do our pixel sequencing using only the SE.  Granted, I have only a few thousand pixels, but as I watch my sequences play in the yard I can't identify anything at all where the SE is inadequate to do the job.  Nor do I feel I've missed anything at all by not using the same canned patterns as everyone else uses.

If you're reasonably proficent with the SE, there's absolutely no reason why you can't use that, especially if you're starting out as you describe using pixels mostly as dumb RGB.
There's still a few of us who do our pixel sequencing using only the SE.  Granted, I have only a few thousand pixels, but as I watch my sequences play in the yard I can't identify anything at all where the SE is inadequate to do the job.  Nor do I feel I've missed anything at all by not using the same canned patterns as everyone else uses.

How did your show run this year? I used SE and pixel editor, used intensity files at around 8k channels and it ran terrible. Not really anyone else noticed the lag but I was pretty unhappy about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, 1983ss454 said:

How did your show run this year? I used SE and pixel editor, used intensity files at around 8k channels and it ran terrible. Not really anyone else noticed the lag but I was pretty unhappy about it

The first question I would ask about lag issues is what is the network configuration?  Primarily that's how many channels on what speed of networks.  Since you're running Intensity files, you are obviously using enhanced LOR files.

The first question I would ask about lag issues is what is the network configuration?  Primarily that's how many channels on what speed of networks.  Since you're running Intensity files, you are obviously using enhanced LOR files.

1 LOR network running 8 controllers at Regular speed, 5 e6804's and 1 e682 running e1.31 from intensity files

1 minute ago, 1983ss454 said:

1 LOR network running 8 controllers at Regular speed, 5 e6804's and 1 e682 running e1.31 from intensity files

Is the lag on the LOR network controllers, or the E1.31 stuff - or both?

7 minutes ago, 1983ss454 said:

E1.31

Do you have WiFi on the same network?

How many universes are being used?

Are you running multicast or unicast in your E1.31 settings?

Im not sure why anyone runs multicast for this stuff. Take 10 seconds longer to setup unicast

Do you have WiFi on the same network?
How many universes are being used?

My show computer is not connected to wifi or my home network.
17 universes

Just now, 1983ss454 said:

Im not sure why anyone runs multicast for this stuff. Take 10 seconds longer to setup unicast

True but there are many out there that just don't understand the ip settings so multicast is much simpler for them.

True but there are many out there that just don't understand the ip settings so multicast is much simpler for them.

I don't understand networks at all, just went through the manual from sandevices and fooled around till I got it working. Probably took me a month to get my first controller working back in January 2015. My wife was convinced I wasted money and couldn't get it working

What speed is the LAN running?  What is the network topology?  Using switch(es) or Hub(s)?  How old is the show computer and what OS?

17 universes is very similar to what I'm running for Christmas.  I'm using an ancient XP desktop with a network topology that is complex enough that I would only explain it with a drawing, but nothing is less than 100Mb/s.

What speed is the LAN running?  What is the network topology?  Using switch(es) or Hub(s)?  How old is the show computer and what OS?
17 universes is very similar to what I'm running for Christmas.  I'm using an ancient XP desktop with a network topology that is complex enough that I would only explain it with a drawing, but nothing is less than 100Mb/s.

Using a single 16 port gigabit switch that I ran last year with no lag. It's probably about a 6-7 year old computer running windows 7. The other stuff I have no idea what your talking about lol, might as well have been in Japanese lol

15 minutes ago, 1983ss454 said:

Using a single 16 port gigabit switch that I ran last year with no lag. It's probably about a 6-7 year old computer running windows 7. The other stuff I have no idea what your talking about lol, might as well have been in Japanese lol

Ah, but you answered the question apparently without knowing what it was.