Light-O-Rama Forums

Can I use all LED rope lights?

screensaver

I was just volunteered to do a small 16ch show for a small town Christmas pagent. I have no clue what I'm doing but am progresing slowly. The town has about a mile of of led rope light from past displays. Can I use this type of light exclusively or do I need to have a mix of bulbs? The display will have short runs, no more than 15 feet per channel. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Terry

Guest wbottomley

grizzly123 wrote:

I was just volunteered to do a small 16ch show for a small town Christmas pagent. I have no clue what I'm doing but am progresing slowly. The town has about a mile of of led rope light from past displays. Can I use this type of light exclusively or do I need to have a mix of bulbs? The display will have short runs, no more than 15 feet per channel. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Terry

Use all that you can afford. :)

Full disclosure: I've never done any testing on rope light.

You can run a show with just rope light, no worries. LED rope light might change things. Here's why.

With LED mini-lights some brands will fare better than others. The fading of the lights with some brands leads to an early failure.

As iresq said, the only way to know is to test for sure. You'll want to hook up some rope light to the controller, and program a sequences with a variety of fades. Let it run for a day or so. At least with mini-lights, any failures are going to become obvious in a short time.

As with any test on an unknown product, please be safe. Don't leave them unattended if you are unsure about them even in the slightest.

Well nuts. I purchased 3 sets (6) mini and 2 6 foot LED rope light trees from target after Christmas and was planning on using them for fades and chases. Even at 50% off that's too much money to risk ruining them. I guess it's on to plan B. :D

I have only read one post were led failure was tied to automation, and this was with retrofit bulbs (c7 c9), not strings.