Light-O-Rama Forums

Hi everyone!

arielmanuel

Start with a lot of reading the forum, and watching the video tutorials at the top of the page.

• Like 1

What are your intensions? You can start off smallish and get the hang of it or you can jump in head first. I was very content with my Light Show in a box for about 11 years before I got tired of running 3 of those.

The residential starter package was the right start for me.

Big sale(s) coming up so if you can determine what direction you want to go it is a time to save on the LOR stuff.

Gest of luck

JR

Thanks om jumping in head first, this year christmas will be amazing. Im planning on 3d projections and a lot of lights. And in here Christmas ends after Jan 20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, arielmanuel said:

Thanks om jumping in head first, this year christmas will be amazing. Im planning on 3d projections and a lot of lights. And in here Christmas ends after Jan 20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only way to do it. Welcome to the addiction.

JR

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I would not try to do too mucyh, too soon...have patience.  Once you have  an idean of an overall look and feel that you want for a display, roll up the sleeve and start researching what it will take and how to do it.  It's not a cheap hobby and can be time comsuming, so you'll proably have to planned it out over multiple yeaqrs unless you start with a real basics initial display. 

I would caustion...don't fall into the trap that everything has to be smart RGB which is the craze now.  No reason that you can't have a very nice display with combinations of static, dumb RGB and smart RGB display elements.  Everything doesn't have to be overly "flashy and colorful".  While I'm adding more smart pixel elements next year, I also adding some 120v single color led strings. 

\

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another thing to consider is everything will take longer than ya think.  2016 was our first year and the wife and I actually put alot of planning into making the props and light placement for the yard.  We try to create items that were easy to break down and store, with the ability to go back up with ease.  PVC and 1/4 inch rod are great for building things!    We are so far running straight LED's and incans, but during this off time we will be converting most of the incan props we made to LED's (thanks after Christmas clearance!).  RGB's are cool but don't think we are ready to go there yet.  

This is addictive, we started last year with three 16 channel controllers, and as soon as we had everything up and running Thanksgiving night, we decieded that two more controllers were in order.  They arrived Tuesday!!

Also everyone here seems to be a straight up helpful people so don't be afraid to ask questions!  Got me through a lot of newbie what do I do questions!

• Like 1

Welcome to the addiction!

As many have said, this hobby is amazing, yet also expensive. Be prepared for expenses on things you didn't think about. For me one of the main things I forgot about was wiring! Like, a LOT of wiring to run from the controllers to the props, and that wire adds up quick!! Your display in the picture above looks great! A nice start! I can provide you no help with the 3D projections as I have no experience in them. However, others on here do have the experience and are more than happy to help! 

I would suggest taking a look into RGB pixel products. I feel like they give you the most bang for your buck because of the seemingly endless possibilities they provide! Best of luck with the display, and as others have also said we are all here to help! Don't be afraid to ask questions!

~Matt