Light-O-Rama Forums

Now that I'm done for the year, various comments and questions.

Roxxxtar

Everything more or less went great in 2016.

1.The one hiccup I still have, and I know others do too, is the tripping issue. I've pretty much just accepted that when a monsoon or hurricane come through, just give up on the lights for the night. When it rains, I'm ok, when it pours, the lights die.

2. I want to be all LED, and mostly am, but how the heck am I supposed to pass up 62 ft and 300 bulbs at Wal-Mart for $1.50??   I couldn't resist and bought about 10 boxes tonight.

3. I only have 48 channels, 15 songs, and in my 2nd year of LOR. The traffic at my house is nuts. I live one road off of a main highway, so my house is easily visible.I also have some props like a Leg lamp as well as Ralphie in his bunny suit in the window. Most people didn't stay too long, but the traffic never stopped.

4. Several people put money in my mailbox. I'm not sure how I feel about that. You?

5. I spend about 50 bucks replacing the same strand of lights beside my driveway. I thought someone was cutting them. Aimed the security camera at the driveway. The culprit? Bugs Bunny.

6. I built frames for my windows out of pvc pipe. Screwed my rope light track to the pvc pipe. Installed hooks at the top of the windows for the frames to sit in. I am extremely happy with them and even more so, I'll be able to take them down in minutes.

7. I still can't wrap a tree and it's limbs worth a $&#@

8. Why doesn't LOR sell female inline plugs for their SPT wire in their store? I didn't even know they existed until I saw them on amazon. That would have saved me a lot of trouble if I had had those this year.

9. Extremely happy with the yard sign Vistaprint made for me telling drivers what channel to put the radio on.

Edited by Roxxxtar
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Roxxxtar said:

8. Why doesn't LOR sell female inline plugs for their SPT wire in their store? I didn't even know they existed until I saw them on amazon. That would have saved me a lot of trouble if I had had those this year.

They are all female inline plugs, bend and break the tab off the closed end and it becomes an inline plug.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

They are all female inline plugs, bend and break the tab off the closed end and it becomes an inline plug.

AHHH I see says the grasshopper to the light master

6 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Im gonna have to try this!

Once again, one of your suguestions could have saved me 1000' of spt 2. Next year I will def have enough.

JR

9 hours ago, Roxxxtar said:

Everything more or less went great in 2016.

1.The one hiccup I still have, and I know others do too, is the tripping issue. I've pretty much just accepted that when a monsoon or hurricane come through, just give up on the lights for the night. When it rains, I'm ok, when it pours, the lights die.

I don't run my show when it rains at all.   Not worth even the minor risk, and no one really stops by anyway. 

2. I want to be all LED, and mostly am, but how the heck am I supposed to pass up 62 ft and 300 bulbs at Wal-Mart for $1.50??   I couldn't resist and bought about 10 boxes tonight.

Isn't all incan production - even holiday lights - outlawed now?   Or soon?   Sounds like justification to me.   That's my story, and I'm sticking with it.  

I am almost 100% LED at this point.  I prefer their longer life, physical robustness, lower power usage, and brightness versus incans.   The only thing in incans favor - to my thinking - is their warm glow versus the colder LED.   However, that's not a real big factor for me.   The only incans I have left are in large (12") C9-style lawn stake bulbs that I like that only appear to come as incans.  

4. Several people put money in my mailbox. I'm not sure how I feel about that. You?

Make a donation to your favorite charity.   Next year, accept donations and tell everyone what you're collecting for.   Adds that extra warm feeling to the whole thing. 

6. I built frames for my windows out of pvc pipe. Screwed my rope light track to the pvc pipe. Installed hooks at the top of the windows for the frames to sit in. I am extremely happy with them and even more so, I'll be able to take them down in minutes.

I did that for RGB strips this year and they are staying there for seasonal lighting.   I had a request to do Valentine's Day this year with some love songs, so I'm working a plan to use them and my two arches reconfigured as a heart.   On July 4th, the 3 windows will be red, white, and blue.  

9. Extremely happy with the yard sign Vistaprint made for me telling drivers what channel to put the radio on.

I had a local shop make mine and was very happy with it as well.    I got a solar spotlight for it that I'm not terribly happy with, as the sign is in a location that I didn't want to run a cord to for any AC lighting.   That's an issue for me to puzzle out this year. 

On 1/3/2017 at 7:16 AM, Mr. P said:

Never even thought of that. Thanks