Light-O-Rama Forums
Santas Helper

How is your display take-down coming along?

Now I wish I waited to take down the stuff. With snow forecasted it would have looked beautiful with the lights, would have reminded me of where my roots started. Upstate NY.
Forecasting for 3-4" possibly, that means central AL will be shutdown for a week.

JR

Man glad I'm just a bit more south in Florida. I didn't miss taking down the display in the snow. I wore shorts and it was glorious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man glad I'm just a bit more south in Florida. I didn't miss taking down the display in the snow. I wore shorts and it was glorious

Yes I'm on the treasure coast and there is nothing like taking the display down in 83 degree weather. Still have 3 things to take down. Not looking forward to taking my 16' wreath apart. 36 channels with 400 lights on each section wrapped tightly around the pole. [emoji848]has to be a better way.

Well, today I had planned on getting the rest of the lights taken down. . . But I woke up to a snow covered yard today. . . Well, maybe next weekend? 

~Matt

My show is still up and running. I couldn't take it down if I wanted to, a while back we had wet snow then it got up into the forties now we have highs of 8 degrees. Everything is securely fastened with ice and I don't think you could move it even with a bulldozer. Right now we have that type of snow that a 300-pound man could walk across without sinking in once

Made good progress yesterday and today. It's been a little cold out, 8F in this AM and a whopping 20F around noon, but I actually don't mind that. Just makes the coffee taste all the better. :D

Only have the mega and mini-mega left to take down... and the wiring for those has already been removed so it's basically just balling superstrands.

I'm proud to announce today is our greatest day yet.

We have stored everything away! All lights labeled! All extension cord labeled! All wires ZIPPED! :D So so so happy right now.

The midwest ice storm was mostly a dud around St Louis.  About 10% of my lights are still up and lit without music including the 110 foot arch.

I just had to post this ice picture after the sunny weather picture.  

IceOn100arch.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ItsMeBobO said:

The midwest ice storm was mostly a dud around St Louis.  About 10% of my lights are still up and lit without music including the 110 foot arch.

I just had to post this ice picture after the sunny weather picture.  

IceOn100arch.jpg

I wish we would get a "dud" like that down here. I love seeing these Southerners panicking and abandoning their cars in the middle of an interstate for a very thin layer of ice. We barely had snow last week but some roads were still impassable 3 days later. Luckily this year it was on a weekend

My indoor 18' tree still up and decorated and all of the lights on the roof and home, but no controllers or anything else. Gotta wait to rent the lift.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Didnt have anything down til Thursday. It rained New Years Weekend and snowed this past weekend.The weather was beautiful this weekend. I was sick as a dog but I fought through and got everything down except my biggest mega tree. Had to take lots of breaks but the weather couldn't have been nicer for  take down.

Well crap, Was going to save that 1000th post for something real meaningful, forgot it was coming up. Only took me 10 years to get there.

Edited by dougd

2 minutes ago, dougd said:

Didnt have anything down til Thursday. It rained New Years Weekend and snowed this past weekend.The weather was beautiful this weekend. I was sick as a dog but I fought through and got everything down except my biggest mega tree. Had to take lots of breaks but the weather couldn't have been nicer for  take down.

-   dougd1000thpost.jpg   Your 1000th post! 

I am still holding out for a weekend day without rain to get the stuff suspended from trees down.   Good for you on the weather.  Hardly any dry days here lately.

• Like 1

The mega tree is still up, and the roof is still lined with the LEDs, but all the pixels are finally down, and the bushes have been unwrapped. No cables are still running around, I just need it to stop raining/snowing so I can get the mega tree down!! Maybe next weekend. 

Only have the megatree and pixel grid to take down. The megatree is scheduled to be de-lighted tonight and then taken down this weekend.

Slowest take down we've ever done but it's been nice not rushing. This will be our new way to take down the display. ?

Looking forward to years to come because I'm redoing the entire display and trying to make it very simple mount, plug n play. Hoping to make it a 2 day install and a 2 day breakdown. I'm doing a project each month.

Most of it comes down today. Although I've been dark since the 2nd, I ran it last Thursday for my sister from Colorado who had never seen my show. Last night another lighter was coming over for a behind the scenes tour, but never showed up. So today it all comes down. Most will get stored, but the pixel star has a planned rebuild so it will stay in the garage. There is a little repair work on the pixel tree too.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

FINALLY!! I got all of the lights removed from the mega tree today!! Took a lot longer than I was expecting. Tomorrow the tree itself will come down. :( I'm already counting down the days till I can see it up and running again!!

Mine will be up at least 2 more weeks. Diagnosed with walking pneumonia, when it rains it pours here. The Dr said it is spreading rapidly due to all of the weather weve been having. I thought I had the flu. No activity for 2 weeks.

I've had pneumonia before. Plan on longer than that before you will really feel like doing much work.
Sorry to hear you are sick.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

Thanks Jim, its has been a rollercoaster ride since Xmas day. Yesterday a couple shots, steroids, another bottle of pills and some hydrocodone cough syrup, now its kicking my butt.

JR

On 1/16/2017 at 10:12 AM, k6ccc said:

Most of it comes down today.

Well, so much for that plan.  My Monday got filled up for me.  Got most of everything taken down - all except six strings along a wall.  Except for a few things that I did not want to leave out in the rain, everything is still sitting in the driveway.  Then the rain returned.  Supposed to be raining all weekend too.

With the snow storm, ice storm and rain over the past 3 weeks not much has come down.

Yesterday and today we had mid 50s weather so I took down probably 90% of my display and it is now sitting in the office warming up so I can wrap my lights and ext cords before putting them away.

Warm sunny weather today in St Louis.   Strangely warmer than when I put them up.  90% done with take down now.