Light-O-Rama Forums

How is your display take-down coming along?

Santas Helper

I have never had my Christmas display down and packed away by January 2nd.

But because of the super nice weather, it's all down and packed away except the mega tree tower which will happen this weekend when I can get a winch to lower it (30 minutes tops).

It's sad though. It's dark outside now when I'm used to seeing lights going nuts.

How is your take-down coming along?

• Like 1

Not even started:wacko: It's been cold and wet here in SoCal the past week (which is actually quite welcome and needed).  I got a quadcopter for Christmas and haven't been able to record my show with it yet due to work and the rain in between.  I'm going to try tonight so I can get some videos posted:D so if all goes well tonight I'm gonna start tomorrow :( sad to see it go.  But gotta plan and get ready for the next season... :blink:

• Like 1

Santas Helper

Know what you mean about it being dark outside now, we went dark yesterday and had maybe 1/3 of the displays on the street down, then today we have the rest all down but not put away quite yet, tomorrow I will work on getting everything into the bins, and my son is coming over to help transport to his climate control storage unit. My buddy/neighbor and I do a lot of the decorations for 10 houses on our street  so it takes quite a lot of work, but yesterday we had quite a lot of help and made good progress.

Now to start work on next years display, well after getting the lawn mowed and cleaned up anyway.

Keith

I'd drown here. The rain has been horrible. Go figure no rain, nadda for over 6 months and then Christmas, every other day since Thanksgiving. Oh well, mine will have to dry out before hanging them up.

JR

I started last night by unplugging the tune-to signs and transporting one of them to the garage.

I expect to finish tear down sometime in March or early April.

• Like 1

Started today before the rain came.

All of the ground stuff is put away.

I'll take the stuff off the house and take the mega-tree down when it snows this coming Saturday.

Happy New Year!

1 hour ago, Santas Helper said:

But because of the super nice weather, it's all down and packed away except the mega tree tower which will happen this weekend when I can get a winch to lower it (30 minutes tops).

It's sad though. It's dark outside now when I'm used to seeing lights going nuts.

I'm with you. Never done now. Great weather. My display and my dad's house - both done!

& we even already have the inside 3 trees down and packed away. Done!

Sad no show, yes - but done with put-away - GLAD....

Now on to watch the Sooners Win!

Boomer! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Santas Helper said:

Not started yet.  The last night of show of the season is running as I type this.  I will be outside watching when it finishes, and I will power down the FM transmitter and may pull the Tune-To signs tonight.  The rest of it will stay up until MLK weekend.  My sister who has never seen my show will be flying out here in a little over a week.  I asked her if she wanted me to leave the show up so she could see it.  She excitedly said yes.  So I'll run it at least one full cycle for her.  I even added a "Karen, Welcome to California" sequence for her...

• Like 1

We took down a couple of direction signs and the spot light for our ginger bread man sign by the street. Otherwise it has been raining and too wet to take anything else down. Not sure when the real take down will happen...

We still have some lights and inflatables on that are controlled by timers, probably run them till this weekend.

• Like 1

|Was planning on running display throught this past Sunday but Sunday was nice, at least for MN, 30,  sunny and no wind.  With crapy weather on the way, decided to take it down Sunday.  5 hours takedown compared to 2 full days of putting it up. Most display element are "modulized" and are hung via hanger bolts or keyhole brackets. 1/2 the time on both intstall/takedown is disconnecfting 100 doggles/waterproof connections.  First year for several pixel elements and one real plus, some much less wire connecting. 

3 hours ago, BMurray said:

I got a quadcopter for Christmas and haven't been able to record my show with it yet due to work and the rain in between. 

I got a quadcopter drone for Christmas too.

It was too windy the last several days to even get comfortable using it. Then decided to take down the display. So today was calm winds to fly the drone but not good timing. Next year I will be ready. :)

• Like 1

It was too windy the last several days to even get comfortable using it. Then decided to take down the display. So today was calm winds to fly the drone but not good timing. Next year I will be ready. :)

Don't lose that expensive craft in the wind. Ive watched more than a few videos where the craft was no match and eventually they were lost or destroyed. Best of luck.

I'm out playing with mine now?.  No wind... But cold as heck? I'm trying to get the video settings right.  I've had to Google a few things to get recommendations.  I've already taken a few test runs but I've only got one battery right now so when I deplete the battery I gotta wait an hour to recharge?.  It is a whole Lotta fun:D at least you'll have the next 10 months or so to practice and get good and maneuvering it.  I'm still scared to do too much with it yet :wacko:

Edited by BMurray

Tear down hasn't started for us yet... we'll wait until next weekend, when I'm not working to overcome our holiday absentees, to tear things down. However, we have been discussing the proper strategy for take down so (1) we have a quick and easy time, (2) installation next year will be a breeze and (3) so we don't look like mad men scratching our heads  (like cavemen stumbling upon an iPad), grumbling about our next approach to solving the problem.

I have to agree that when the lights go down it gets much more like the dead of winter. Remember the anticipation of coming home from work and setting your radio to your station. The glow of the lights wafting into the house morning and night. The lights are down. The long dark nights of winter are here. I think I will put some lasers shining in to the woods behind my house nothing like lasers in the snow. Every one have a great year and remember the smiles of this year as we plan cool things for next. Happy New Year.7e2b8aa5319268ad93f9b3756e37de44.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

New Years Day was going  to be the only nice weather we were going to see for a while so we did our take down then.  We usually have a master plan on the take down so it usually takes no more than two ours and it is all gone.  Usually takes two weekends to put it all up.

• Like 1

I had planned to let the show run through the 1st and take down after.  We had 18 inches of snow on the ground 8 days ago, and the thought of digging everything out was not a pleasant one.  A week ago we had a half inch of rain and 45 degrees which made most of the snow disappear.  Sunday was in the upper 30's, a heat wave for Wisconsin this time of year.  So I dug out the cables from the snow that remained preparing for Monday's tear down.  Started at 8 in the morning, and with some neighbors helping had the display all dismantled and in the basement by 1:30 just as it started to rain.  A historical personal record for tear down.  It takes 8 days to set up.  Now I have two weeks of testing and packing things away for next year. 

My display was down and stored within 6 hours. Thank goodness for PVC frames and lots of extra bins. Normally I'm sad to see my display down, but now with this animation thing I'm too excited for next year to be sad... ahhh.. the addiction... I can feel it... lol