Light-O-Rama Forums

New to Pixels, looking for info

GDesch

Howdy y'all,

Been doing LOR for 5 years now, and am looking to add a smart pixel tree to my 2017 display, probably with 16 lines. My current setup is 10 controllers, mostly gen 3, but a few are gen 2.

I guess I'm wondering what I will need in terms of network options, I am looking right now at a PixCon16 controller, but if a cheaper one would work, great! I also have heard I will need to change my network speed, and that gen 2 boards are not compatible with the 500k required speed for smart devices, I currently run my show with the black usb-rj45 adapter. Should I replace my gen 2 boards, or just run another LOR universe with the red high speed adapter? Does running another universe change how I will do programming/ visualizer? Also, I am looking at doing a "brians globe" topper, or to be specific a half globe, will I need another controller for this, or since I havent addressed all the pixels I can run with a PixCon16 can I run this off the same one? Will running off a different controller make programming easier?

In terms of products, are Light-O-Rama store pixels the only pixels out there for this? Are they the most affordable? Most durable?

I'm also soliciting opinions on design, attached is a picture I took today of what is currently up with my display, with basic paint drawings of the outsides of the proposed tree. 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-TlpEtqEHdULVJ0LW1UZ0xMeTQ Sorry for the drive attachment, pic to large for forum's tiny attachment limit. Some info on the section, its roughly 17 feet tall, I am looking at my attachment point being below the "swirly" that will be replaced. 

I am wondering based off this, what should my spacing be? How should I make my strings face one way (I have seen rainyoregonchristmas's pvc jig) or should I use clips of somekind, and what as a backing? And how many pixel strings should I buy/use, one strand of 50 per "strand" or two daisy chained?

Thank you to anyone who read this massive garble of text, and thank you further to anyone who responds! 

Look into Falcon F16 V2. large amount of pixels possible per channel. I run Xlights 4 which control my LOR and the F16. Have choices on networking. Can keep 486 or switch to DMX. TheF16 operates.on standard ethernet. Purchased pixels through Holiday Coro with good success.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

Do a thread title search on "mega tree".  That will keep you readin for a time being on a number of issue/subjects revolving around mega tree..controllers, lights, setup, etc..

One of the first discision will be the look and feel of a mega tree...nodes versus strips...180 verus 360 degree tree.

If you don't go the LOR CCR/CCBroute, you can buy from a number of 16 ouput pixel controller..Sandevices e682, Aplhapix16, Falcon F16v2 and others.  There are a few comparision harts out there on other forums.

All the 16 ouput controllers are in the $200 range.  You can use about any pixel node string or ribbon, and are limited to LOR produces.  Several popular light sources are holidaycore, diyledexpress and Ray Wu (chinese dealer)  The first two will be having pre-sale event shortely.

BTW, a ready to go route is holidaycoro's 12/16 string/strip mega tree package.  Basically ready to go, you just build the tree frame.  

Run another network with the high-speed adaptor. 

I use LOR's Pixcon16, Pixie8, and Pixie4, along with any number of CCR/CCB/CCP.  (I have no experience with their new Pixie16, but that should be on your list to check out.)  At present, I'm using all but one of the Pixie4 on enhanced 500K networks.  Next season the Pixcon will be switched to E1.31 because I saw some sporadic data hiccups and twitches this year and next year it will be doing even more work.  Other than that (and one embarrassing episode of operator error) they all worked perfectly.  Zero product issues.  All of them speak the LOR language and they all have LOR's warranties, which are usually second to none.

I also use E682 and Falcon pixel controllers.  Both speak E1.31.  No lag.  Normal people will never run out of network channel capacity.  You need to know some stuff about Ethernet/LAN networks, but if I can figure it out, so can you.  Of the two, I'm with Lakeguy - go Falcon.  Not even close.  (In fact, they're releasing their next version in the spring or something like that, so there should be considerable deals to be had when many current devotees switch to the new ones.)  At this point most agree that the current Falcon board is the best one out there.  But you're talking about more DIY sort of stuff and if you're not into the smell of solder you'll want to think twice.

Pixels are largely a get-what-you-pay-for scenario.  It ranges from the rotgut bottom of Ebay's barrel all the way up to professional quality where normal people can't even ask the price.  Not including CCR ribbons, I've had excellent experience over the years with LOR's CCB/CCP strings.  I've also had excellent experience with pixels from DIY LED EXPRESS, from Pixel Sequencing, and from Crockett Fantasy of Lights.  All are reputable companies, just like LOR.

Whether you go with nodes or ribbons, for your tree I suggest you check out Boscoyo Studios and look at their pixel holder strips. They work great and next to electricity, they might be the best thing that's ever happened to pixels.  Avoid cheap knock-offs. 

Edited by George Simmons

• 1 month later...

Agree with pixel holder strips. Switched to them this year on a number of things. No matter if you use strips or bullets, these take the stress off the critical parts of the led strings (wires and flexible pcbs)

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

I'm with George look to run another Network with a high speed adapter as it will eliminate any issues with older controllers and will allow you more options to positioning your props without having to daisy chain.  Easy to do, I'm running 4 networks on my display with no issues.

Doing pixels you definitely want to add another Network E1.31 is the direction that everything is going these days so look at going down that path. 

I'd like to add that the Falcon board is the best you can get for the money. The new version 3 coming out gets rid of the Achilles heel of not being able to daisy chain. It has a built-in onboard switch so you'll now be able to daisy-chain your E1.31 controllers. 

Edited by Ebuechner

• The topic was locked