Light-O-Rama Forums

Expanding RGB for next year,

BarryLights

I have been using LOR for years and added RGB last year and this year. Now that 2016 is over, I am planning to do a major change in my display and expand the use of RGB in my display. I am building a pixel matrix that will be 50 pixels wide and 36 rows. I have several questions and I am looking for any guidance that anyone can offer. I now that an easy approach would be to drive each row of 50 with an RGB channel but this would require 36 channels. I know that a PIXCON16 would do 16 channels per controller.

The controller states that it can drive 150 pixels a channel so if I could do that, I would use 12 channels and 12 controller  (3 rows per channel). My questions are:

1.       Can I drive 150 pixels from each controller channel?

2.       Would I have to convert to DMX to do so?

3.       How would this be programmed in the LOR environment. I have used Superstar for my star fish and arches to date (I have an aquatic them as I live in Florida) . I have seen comments that 150 pixels can be programmed in Superstar but how would this work in a matrix?

4.       Is there a better way to program this in place of Superstar?

My goal is to display pictures and other effects on the matrix.

Any help would be appreciated.

following

5. which RGB strips to use? I am wondering if i can use regular CCD (3 leds per pixel) or use strips that you control each and every led

With your statement 1 channel per rows or 36 channels for entire matrix, this indicates  you don't realize the difference between dumb and smart rgb.  For a matrix, you want to control each of  the 1650 pixel..50x36 individually, not as an entire row with 1 channel. 

From the top search bar, do a thread title search by "matrix".  This will keep you busy reading for a while on everything involved with building a matrix..frames, lights, layout, etc. So do some research and come back with followup questions.

BTW, youy know how much such a matric would  cost?  A bunch

Appreciate the response. My statement was misleading, Where I was going with this is a string of 150 smart pixels which would give me three rows. This would make three rows of 50 pixels and I could make this one channel on a Pixie16. I would then do this 11 more times and use 12 channels of the controller to program 12 strings getting the 26 rows. I have done a lot of research on building the matrix and I have a cost for the matrix itself that is within the budget I want to spend. It comes down to how many channels that will be and how many controllers/channels. Appreciate you mentioning the message boards, I will do some research on that and see what comes up. On to 2017....