Light-O-Rama Forums

Bad Ray Wu strip or Pixie4 cant handle it?

brichi

2 hours ago, brichi said:

yes, just pulled the chip and the heat does go away

ah ha.. Most likely the comm chip is trash... is the voltage regulator still works, which I assume it does since it is self protected, changing that comm chip might yield you a working board..

thanks Plasma, I'm getting a replacement from LOR tomorrow so I'm not going to bother getting the chip but good to know in case it happens again in the future, 

hey guys, so I got a new pixie4 which now works great

I plug in Ray Wu strip and only half light up even though I am picking 100 pixels, I plug in the LOR CCR and all light up, Any ideas other then a bad strip?

When the ray wu one is lit I test the voltage at the end and get 12v all around so there no broken connection from beginning to end

Photo%20Dec%2031,%2012%2022%2054%20PM.jp

Ray wu lights

Photo%20Dec%2031,%2012%2023%2004%20PM.jp

LOR CCR

Photo%20Dec%2031,%2012%2024%2008%20PM.jp

Glad to hear the replacement Pixie is working. Keeping in mind that I know nothing about configuration of the Pixie controllers, how are you testing the strips? By that I mean, a test sequence you wrote, a test pattern built into the Pixie, the Hardware Utility, something else?

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

in a few when I get a second I'm going to cut at that point and put on new wires, maybe theres a bad connection, pixel, chip at that spot

You still have something set wrong. Most controllers have a way of setting the number of pixels connected. Get out your pixie manual and figure out how to change the settings.

If you have everything set correctly on the computer that's the only place left.

I'm sure at this point your Hardware is fine you'll just have to find that setting that's limiting it to 50 pixels

• Like 1

yes, in the hardware utility I had to go into the cosmic config and set to 100, I'm an idiot, I kept missing that when lloking through it. thanks guys

Edited by brichi

no but I'm afraid to plug in the RayWu strip taking this chance of blowing it again, everything with the LOR CCR's are working great. 

If wired correctly there's absolutely no way that the ray wu light strip could damage the board. 

It's far more likely that static electricity from you would damage the board or that chip.

Hi just something to think about if your buying more strips most people I know use the 2811 strip with 50 pixels  their on sale now at Holiday Lights Express .

thank you, I was trying the 100 pixel ones for the arch but I don't see too much of a difference really so I'm sticking with the 50's most likely. the 60's look cool though if wrapping windows and such being its double the leds wrapped around

Actually I have 3 100 count strips I cut them in half put 50 pixels in each arch.  (Have 6 )  using the 2 in white tube from McMaster  Carr like Johnson Family  I did try 25 pixels but I did go with 100 ct strips for my arches looks much brighter.  Using a sandevices E6804 to controll pixels 

Edited by Dennis Laff

awesome Dennis, thank you, I did the same, ordered the same tubing, plan on doing 8 arches, ill do the second arch in 50 pixels to compare.

I built 4 of those arches and I used the strips that are 16 pixels per meter. So 50 pixels ends up being around 11 feet of tubing. I'm using 2 DMX universes to run the 4 arches I only Power the strips from one side so the power is passed directly to the second Arch so I don't need power injection. I use the green 16 gauge extension cord wire from the controller to minimize Power Drop.