Light-O-Rama Forums

Bad Ray Wu strip or Pixie4 cant handle it?

brichi

yes, all tested, I do have knowledge of all that fortunately, took a volt meter to the contacts, all 12v and even the ports are outputting 12v , just won't communicate with PC anymore, like plasma drive mentioned above, it could be a blown comm chip 

You may want to spend a couple of bucks and get something like this. https://www.amazon.com/Mokungit-Upgrated-addressable-controller-connector/dp/B01E3O604S/ref=pd_day0_86_2/159-7430699-9955364?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01E3O604S&pd_rd_r=75TFCQZ06P73MQCD5Z1V&pd_rd_w=p5mPh&pd_rd_wg=MdiqW&psc=1&refRID=75TFCQZ06P73MQCD5Z1V

you can test the strips with it.  They work great.  The comm chips are pretty cheap from Digikey or Mouser if you need one..

thank you, just ordered the tester

I reported the pixie damaged to LOR and they are replacing it for me which is awesome, their customer service is amazing

Edited by brichi

I wonder why if its only the comm chip the board is getting so hot I can't even touch it with nothing plugged in other then the p/s

1 hour ago, plasmadrive said:

You may want to spend a couple of bucks and get something like this. https://www.amazon.com/Mokungit-Upgrated-addressable-controller-connector/dp/B01E3O604S/ref=pd_day0_86_2/159-7430699-9955364?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01E3O604S&pd_rd_r=75TFCQZ06P73MQCD5Z1V&pd_rd_w=p5mPh&pd_rd_wg=MdiqW&psc=1&refRID=75TFCQZ06P73MQCD5Z1V

you can test the strips with it.  They work great.  The comm chips are pretty cheap from Digikey or Mouser if you need one..

Thanks for the tip on the tester just bought one didn't know they existed, Dennis

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, brichi said:

I wonder why if its only the comm chip the board is getting so hot I can't even touch it with nothing plugged in other then the p/s

It may be internally shorted or almost shorted which can cause a lot of heat to be dissipated. 

And yes, LOR customer service is pretty amazing.  I have some stories that I don't feel comfortable sharing because they were so far above and beyond what most manufacturers and vendors do that I don't want others to try to take unfair advantage... but let's just say Dan stepped up like I used to for my customers.. I didn't take him up on most of his offers because I would not have felt right but he was pretty incredible.

I just plugged in the p/s again to the pixie4 and this chip immediately gets so hot it literally burn my finger a little when I touched each one to see

IMG_0387.JPG

yes, Dan was awesome and Mary helped me with a few questions also, both amazing. that alone makes me want to buy only from them and skip the hassle of trying the strips, I actually added on a few more CCRII's for them to ship with the board

Edited by brichi

What is the white cord in the pic? In a two wire cord like that normally black is + and white is - , so what is the other end? As long as it is the same on the other end.

its a male to female connector I had from rope lighting so I can easily disconnect the p/s when I need. I have it matched to the other end red on the p/s goes to the white wire and black on black wire for -

Mr. P, you are the first person I have ever heard of using black for positive voltage in a negative ground DC power system. Black is almost always the ground. To confuse it however, in AC power distribution, white is neutral and black is the most commonly used color for the hot wire. To really make it confusing, in the telecommunications world (what I do for a living), much of the equipment runs on minus 48 volt DC, so the question becomes "is black minus or ground?". Generally black is ground, but at least one major radio manufacturer (that we buy lots of equipment from) does it backwards. Talk about a need to label stuff REALLY WELL!

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

I generally use black for - also when doing wiring but its all for hobby type stuff so I know as long as it matched on both ends for me, its irrelevant, I know the red + is flowing through the connectors white wire and the black is through black so "correct standard" wiring doesn't matter when I'm the only one using it and I know its wired and soldered correctly and not being switched, black wires to me are alway - or ground along with green being a ground also

Two other notes, I agree that the hot chip is a voltage regulator based on the VR2 label and it looks like one anyway. Second is that I was a little surprised that you soldered the power cable to the spade lug on the board. Obviously it will work soldered, but makes it harder to take apart if needed.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

I soldered to put a male/female disconnect on so its easy to pull the p/s off if needed. I didn't have clips to push onto the board posts. I'm ordering them so I don't have to solder to the next few boards I get

46 minutes ago, brichi said:

I just plugged in the p/s again to the pixie4 and this chip immediately gets so hot it literally burn my finger a little when I touched each one to see

IMG_0387.JPG

did you try pulling the comm chip first?  I would be that regulator powers that comm chip.. See if pulling that out and then applying power doesn't get rid of the heat issue..

21 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Mr. P, you are the first person I have ever heard of using black for positive voltage in a negative ground DC power system. Black is almost always the ground. To confuse it however, in AC power distribution, white is neutral and black is the most commonly used color for the hot wire. To really make it confusing, in the telecommunications world (what I do for a living), much of the equipment runs on minus 48 volt DC, so the question becomes "is black minus or ground?". Generally black is ground, but at least one major radio manufacturer (that we buy lots of equipment from) does it backwards. Talk about a need to label stuff REALLY WELL!

I am the opposite, many many years ago when I graduated high school I became an electrician where I worked mainly with ac current in houses and as you stated black is normally + and white is -. So whenever I see a two wire cable with white and black that is the way I am thinking.  :)

I know there are probably a bunch of reasons but in my situation what do you think may have caused the comm chip to go bad? I would order the chip isl81487eipz from digikey but I know I'm getting a new board already so I am sure LOR will replace and sell

Just throwing this out there but the Ray Wu stings are rated at 72w or 6 amps and the Pixie 4 can only handle 15 amps. So if he attached four of the Ray Wu strings for a total of 24 amps what may get damaged on the board?