Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie controller controlled by miniDirector?

Mega Arch

Ok, loved Okiegirl's display enough that I may eat some words and look at more RGB next year than just my 50 watt floodlights. 

But I like the miniDirector for controlling my show. I even have an unopened backup one. The way I'm reading the Pixie documentation, I can still control my show with the miniDirector, and don't need g3-mp3 director. 

Here's the question - am I right?

As I understand it, the answer is yes - sort of. If I remember right, the mini-director has only one LOR network output and can only go to 115k speed and can't run in enhanced mode. That would substantially limit your channel count capability. The old rule of thumb for a 115k network was six CCRs or 900 channels - depends a lot on how active the show was.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

• Like 1

Actually....  Yes you can run a pixel tree from a uMP3.  It can run at 500K with ELOR.  In fact, we had 3 pixel trees, an 800 pixel tall one (not for sale yet) and 2 of the 400 pixel ones (that we do sell), running from a mini director at Christmas Expo 2016.  

The problem is more if you also have additional OLDER controllers - the ones that can't run 500K or ELOR.  That's when the dual network MP3 comes in handy.

Our recommendation for channel counts on a single LOR network at 500K with ELOR with intensity files is 4800-6000.  A single LOR network should be able to handle (with average sequences) between 1600 and 2000 pixels @500K ELOR.  

[FYI:  Now that we have another year under our belts, it appears that ELOR allows for between a 10% and 20% increase in the number of channels over a non enhanced network at the same speed for average sequences.  We get asked that a lot, but could never give a decent number because sequences vary so much between different users.]

I also greatly improved the throttling algorithm (actually, I should call it what it really is:  the compression algorithm ) in the Hardware Utility when creating SD cards, based on feedback.  It does a MUCH better job now especially with intensity data.  There should no longer be any cases where MP3 directors get out of sync (unless you turn off the throttle/compression), and it will maximize the use of the available bandwidth.  You could probably go as high as 2400 pixels before you start to see the compression really kick in (but don't quote me on that).

2 minutes ago, DevMike said:

....You could probably go as high as 2400 pixels before you start to see the compression really kick in....

Thanks. Exactly the info needed. 

?

Make sure you are comparing apples to apples. You asked about the mini-director which will not do 500k or enhanced networking, and Mike answered about the uMP3 which is different.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

Make sure you are comparing apples to apples. You asked about the mini-director which will not do 500k or enhanced networking, and Mike answered about the uMP3 which is different...,

Humm...http://store.lightorama.com/midiwimp3pl.html

1 hour ago, Santas Helper said:

Mega Arch? Is that you? You feeling well? Daniel?

Yeah - I know. Not sure if I'm crossing over the line yet, but did you make it up to Liz (Okiegirl) & Mark's show? Makes me double think myself. 

31 minutes ago, Mega Arch said:

Yeah - I know. Not sure if I'm crossing over the line yet, but did you make it up to Liz (Okiegirl) & Mark's show? Makes me double think myself. 

No, haven't made it yet but saw their video. I figured it might have grabbed you by the tongue if you went to see it.

51 minutes ago, Santas Helper said:

No, haven't made it yet but saw their video. I figured it might have grabbed you by the tongue if you went to see it.

You were correct - super nice people. Need to teach them about vampire plugs though. Told them you might get a mini put together this next year and they could show off their skills too. 

14 minutes ago, Mega Arch said:

Told them you might get a mini put together this next year and they could show off their skills too. 

And we are long overdue for a Mini. Good point. I'll get working on that.

• The topic was locked