Jump to content
Light-O-Rama Forums
Ed K

Group Multiple Pixels as One Pixel for SuperStar

Recommended Posts

Is there a means in the LOR software suite to group multiple pixels as a single pixel for purposes of then treating the grouped pixels as a single pixel in SuperStar? 

I plan to retrofit bulbs from Really Big Lights (reallybiglights.com) to each have four or five flat pixels.  Therefore, I then need to treat each four or five pixels inside a single Really Big Light bulb as a single pixel for purposes of sequencing.  Doing so will  allow SuperStar morphs and smooth effects to function correctly.

 

Ed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Ed. 

I don't think so but Brian can better answer that. 

What I do know is people have reported having 3-4 pixels from the Same data input sucsefully. You could then pick the data out from one of them and continue on to you next set/group. 

Or, you can set this behavior up in your controller. I can't speak to all controllers but I believe most can group pixels as one. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depending on what controller you are using, that may be easy to do in the controller.  For example, for the WS2811 strips that are in front of my roses, each rose has what is actually 11 pixels (33 RGB LEDs), however the SanDevices 6804 is grouping those into one pixel per rose.  Works great.

E6804_grouping.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, saxon said:

Hey Ed. 

I don't think so but Brian can better answer that. 

What I do know is people have reported having 3-4 pixels from the Same data input sucsefully. You could then pick the data out from one of them and continue on to you next set/group. 

Or, you can set this behavior up in your controller. I can't speak to all controllers but I believe most can group pixels as one. 

 

Thanks, Saxon.  I have only AlphaPix controllers, and one SanDevices controller.  I hadn't thought of configuring the controller for the groupings.  I will look into it, and post back.

 

Ed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Depending on what controller you are using, that may be easy to do in the controller.  For example, for the WS2811 strips that are in front of my roses, each rose has what is actually 11 pixels (33 RGB LEDs), however the SanDevices 6804 is grouping those into one pixel per rose.  Works great.

E6804_grouping.png

 

Thanks, k6ccc.  As I replied to Saxon, I'll look into doing the configuration at the controller, and post back.

 

Ed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is not an easy way to do it. But if I understand better why you are doing it I might come up with something. Do you have a visualization for the display?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BrianBruderer said:

There is not an easy way to do it. But if I understand better why you are doing it I might come up with something. Do you have a visualization for the display?

No visualization ready.  However, the YouTube video at the link below, which demonstrates multiple pixels installed inside a single Really Big Light, demonstrates exactly what I'm planning to do.

At about 4:45 of the video, he shows the look  of five Really Big Lights when he runs a chase, and that the chase looks "normal" if the multiple pixels inside each bulb are grouped as one pixel.  At about 5:37, he shows how a chase does not look so great if every pixel inside each Really Big Light is distinct, i.e., not grouped as a single pixel. 

This is the issue I am trying to account for. An alternative video showing how Really Big Lights are retrofitted with seven (7) bullet pixels that are cable tied to the white mount that is inside the Really Big Light.  So, exact same issue to resolve - multiple pixels inside a single "bulb".

here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, BrianBruderer said:

There is not an easy way to do it. But if I understand better why you are doing it I might come up with something. Do you have a visualization for the display?

Brian,

Saxon and k6ccc both suggested configuring the controllers.  Because my lights are running now on my PC controller, I didn't want to view any of my controllers through their configuration pages (I assume I could open up and view one, but did not want to risk crashing my show).  However, I don't believe my AlphaPix controllers allow me to group multiple pixels as a single pixel.

I did find a video that demonstrates that a user can configure a Falcon controller (which I don't use) that allows grouping multiple pixels as a single pixel for purposes of sequencing lights.  

So, I don't believe I can use the controller solution to group multiple pixels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did just get onto my AlphaPix controllers, and they don't allow me to group pixels. :-(

 

Ed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I looked at the video and see more clearly what it is you are trying to do. I tried some things in the visualizer, but the design of superstar depends on one sequencing grid square mapping to no more than 4 channels, red, green, blue, and white.

However, if you make a visualization of your lights and put the 4 pixels for each big light in each location, then when you do a VisEffect morph it will apply the effect using the location for each of the 4 pixels at the same location.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, BrianBruderer said:

I looked at the video and see more clearly what it is you are trying to do. I tried some things in the visualizer, but the design of superstar depends on one sequencing grid square mapping to no more than 4 channels, red, green, blue, and white.

However, if you make a visualization of your lights and put the 4 pixels for each big light in each location, then when you do a VisEffect morph it will apply the effect using the location for each of the 4 pixels at the same location.

Ok, thanks for checking into it.  I'm not 100% clear on what you say about 4 pixels in each location.  Do you mean that when I draw the fixture in Visualizer, put the 4 pixels (or how ever many I put in each big bulb), on top of each other in the fixture I draw?  I can see how that would then work perfectly with a VisEffect morph.  Looks like the solution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you looking to have each RBL only one color at a time? Like what he did with the chase? If so, then just use dumb nodes instead of smart pixels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/30/2016 at 9:36 PM, jerry72 said:

Are you looking to have each RBL only one color at a time? Like what he did with the chase? If so, then just use dumb nodes instead of smart pixels.

jerry72,

Well, this is probably the longest time period between a helpful post and the original poster's reply.  I just ran across your reply today (a year later).  Thanks for the helpful hint to use dumb nodes.

I didn't use the RBLs this year.   Your idea to just use dumb nodes is great because, yes, I do want each RBL to be only one color at a time.  However, I want to be able to control the timing and color of each RBL separate from the other RBLs.  Unless I use four strings of dumb nodes (one for each RBL), I believe I'll have to use smart pixels, on a single string that runs through all four RBLs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ed K said:

jerry72,

Well, this is probably the longest time period between a helpful post and the original poster's reply.  I just ran across your reply today (a year later).  Thanks for the helpful hint to use dumb nodes.

I didn't use the RBLs this year.   Your idea to just use dumb nodes is great because, yes, I do want each RBL to be only one color at a time.  However, I want to be able to control the timing and color of each RBL separate from the other RBLs.  Unless I use four strings of dumb nodes (one for each RBL), I believe I'll have to use smart pixels, on a single string that runs through all four RBLs.

If you are willing to go wireless, there is a far better way. I have converted several of my props that use Dumb nodes over to an ESP controllers controller. I will send you a message with a link to the controller so as not upset the admin here by promoting an non LOR controller,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can go wireless, so thanks for the idea of using an ESP controller(s).  I'll look for the message.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×