Light-O-Rama Forums

Do I need RS485 to connect CCR using mini director

sugarnspice10172@aol.com

Could someone please help me. I just got a CCR with controller (CR 150D) and AC/DC adapter. I have a cat5 cable. I currently use the mini director with an SD card for my shows. I looked at the set ups for CCR's on the LOR site but it seems to indicate that I need the RS485 to run my ribbon. Do I need the RS485 if I don't plan on running my show from the computer. What would be the proper set up for my situation. I also have a pixel tree that I just bought from LOR and it says the same thing, I need the RS485.

You need the RS485 to change the Unit ID of the CCR controller. You'd also need it in the future for firmware upgrades, or making configuration changes via the Hardware Utility (HWU). 

Can you control a CCR via a mini-director? Yes, you can. From a technical standpoint the mini-director will control the CCR. However, I personally wouldn't try to run more than 3 or 4 CCR's from a mini-director. 

If you are going to run from a director, go with the Showtime Pro director. Real time clock, and multiple network support. The newest firmware (as of this post) allows you to use the enhanced LOR network directly from the director.

• Like 1

Thanks. Would I also need the RS 485 for the pixel tree I just bought as well? They said plug and play when I bought it, I thought all the components would be included.

If it's the only thing in your display, then it would be plug and play. If you have other controllers in the display, then you may have duplicate controller ID's.