Light-O-Rama Forums

2 Really Really basic Newbie Questions

MattJ

Hi All

I'm completely new to LOR and looking to get started very slowly (cheaply!)
At this point I really only see myself buying about 2 x 100 bulb cosmic color sets to replace the existing plain old lights I have on the house: http://store.lightorama.com/cc100busetwi.html A guy's gotta start somewhere! :)
When I can afford it, then I'll add controllers, more lights etc....

I tried searching through the website but couldn't find (or didn't understand) answers to the couple of questions I had about the CC bulbs:

1) Can I add more 50 bulb stings to the cc100 bulb set or will it only run the two strings it comes with?
2) Do I need the standalone controller whenever I have CC bulb strings or, once I have a controller like the CTB16PC, does the standalone controller provided with the set become redundant? I ask this question as, longer term, it would be cheaper to buy the CTB16PC and 4 strings of bulbs than 2 100 bulb sets with standalone controller(s) then add the CTB16PC later.

Appreciate any pointers folks may have in getting me started.

Thanks in Advance

Cheers

MattJ

The controller that comes with the CCBulbs is required to run the strings. The strings can not be controlled by a CTB16PC (or Showtime Pro) controller.

You can not add strings to a CCBulb controller.

It is possible to run a display with only CCB's in it. The CTB16PC controller is only needed if you have incandescent or LED strings that you want to plug to your display, and would normally plug into a regular AC outlet. 

Don - Thanks

The penny has dropped for me!

Having read your response and gone back and looked at the typical set up pages - I understand way better. 

I didn't get this.....

2 hours ago, Don said:

It is possible to run a display with only CCB's in it. The CTB16PC controller is only needed if you have incandescent or LED strings that you want to plug to your display, and would normally plug into a regular AC outlet. 

....until you made the comment. Seems stupid in hindsight.

I now understand what I need to get started.

Once again. Thanks.