Light-O-Rama Forums

Neghbors house issues/ Help

budslights

Hello, 

This year i didn't get nearly as many lights up as normal somewhere around 15k at the most with 90% of them being leds. Tonight my neighbor came over asking if i could shut them off because he had company coming over, i could tell he felt really bad and expressed how much he liked the lights. He said that inside of his house they were causing lights to dim and flicker. I wasn't sure if there is something i am missing if this could be some sort of "phasing" issue due to the led lights. i am planning on contacting the power company to see if they could assess the situation at the pole. Also i am in a city neighborhood so the neighbors house is 15 feet away with all overhead wires via triplex.

Thanks,

Brad

If your lights is causing his inside lights to dim, there is a problem other than your lights. It could be a lose ground on the pole or something going on with a transformer on the pole.

• Like 1

I spend hours making my lights dim and flicker.  

Your neighbor should be grateful he didn't have to spend hours filling in little rectangles with different colors!

Merry Christmas!

Walt

• Like 2

Well you could always tell your neighbor to tune his radio in to your show and he and his guests get a free light show inside the house. :)

• Like 2

You may be busted.   He will soon discover you are running your show off the circuits from his house.    :ph34r:       

Kidding aside.   It seems strange this is not effecting both of your houses.  Also strange it would start when a party is planned.  Maybe neighbor has been ignoring the problem for a while.   You definitely need a power inspection. 

Edited by ItsMeBobO
  • Like 1

just went over and talked to the neighbor again and he was telling me that at times it kills the power completely in the house. it only happens when my lights are on and hasn't happened the past 7 months he has lived he. Im thinking it is something for sure on the power company side of the line.

thank you for the quick replies

• Like 1

I concur that the power company needs to be consulted.    I suppose it wouldn't be too farfetched to be concerned about  potential safety issues.   Your light show could very well have brought to light a dangerous condition..

Have him call the power company, there is an issue at the power pole (figuratively speaking).

Depending on the power company service person, they may or may not check it correctly.

So if you have an electrician friend, have him check it out. Take him all of 5 minutes to find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
36 minutes ago, ItsMeBobO said:

Budslights... is there an update to this story?

"Bud Light" JK but I remember having those moments when I was younger.

He hasn't posted in quite a while.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

FWIW I would guess that the 2 houses are on the same transformer on the pole. HIS house most likely has a weak or problematic nutural on the pole. This would explain why HIS lights are flickering.

I have a video on youtube about open nutural.

If anyone wants to watch it...

Edited by a31ford
Spelling
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, a31ford said:

FWIW I would guess that the 2 houses are on the same transformer on the pole. HIS house most likely has a weak or problematic nutural on the pole. This would explain why HIS lights are flickering.

I have a video on youtube about open nutural.

If anyone wants to watch it...

Best explanation I've seen!

Been selling electrical supplies since 1981. Never have I had such a visual tool shown. Diagrams are one thing. Pictures are better. Your video - priceless. 

I have seen 2 cases of this in structures.

different lights would be brite and others dim sometimes. and they would change places (who was brite)