Light-O-Rama Forums

Maverick - running LOR3 on mac using Crossover

motorcycle jack

OK, I'm a maverick.  I run S3 on a mac using Crossover. But have some issues and wondered if using a native windows partition would cure them.  When I run a sequence the music lags by several milliseconds, maybe as much as a quarter of a second.  I'm assuming it's due to the lag in the translator of the emulation software, Çrossover.  If I load a bootable windows partition would I get rid of the lag?  Anyone running LOR on mac and it works?

Thanks-

John

No mac user here but a lot of the times when your audio isn't synced up its due to it not using a constant bit rate in the audio file of 128Kbps.

• Like 1

Another one of the "Crazy Ones" here.  

I've been running up to version 2.9.4 on a dedicated Mac Mini via Boot Camp and Windows XP that I break out once a year.   After about 9 years, the logic board failed 5 minutes into setting up this year.  So this year I was forced to a newer Mac Mini and decided to go to S4 on it as well.  It is running El Capitan and Windows 7 Pro under Parallels 12.  I sequence on my MacBook Pro now running Parallels 11, soon to also upgrade to 12.  

I thought I would redo the Boot Camp strategy and have the worlds separated, but after I set up Parallels to attend an LOR training seminar at Christmas Expo, I thought I'd give it a whirl this way. For those of you who don't know Boot Camp-  You create a separate disk partition and Install Windows straight to it and no Mac part of the equation.  Dual boot basically.   It worked great having 1 laptop to take to Expo and just fire up Parallels and hang a 1602 off it for training.  You can pick up Parallels Pro right now as a free upgrade from their basic version that is $49 bucks. LOR isn't taxing the Mini that much. 

I run 9 LOR controllers and about 120 channels with no DMX/pixels.  I don't see any lag and it's been really solid.  The only clunkiness seems to be once in awhile when I'm connected to the Mini via Apple Remote Desktop.  I'm convinced I set up the video drivers / resolution a tad off trying to out think their Windows configuration suggestions.  After this season I'll tweek it.  I demand remote access and never found decent newer Windows remote desktop tools under Window XP or 7 except Timbuktu as they had dual platform support before.  That's mostly gone and this new Apple solution is pretty much flawless.

I don't know Crossover as an emulation app, but Parallels I have to say (knock wood) I think it's great melding both OS's- in this exercise running LOR. I'm still seeing folks struggling with Windows 10 so I stayed with 7 Pro as I had enough to worry about sorting out running this via a Mac.  I had already personally tested it on the MacBook Pro.  Once I knew what I wanted to do, It all fired up great- even sorting out the USB adapter.  Install the LOR USB drivers and your in business.  I was more worried about my show running upgrading from 2.9.4 to 4.3.1x.  When I'm ready for 10, I can just add it and still have a valid Win 7 "machine". 

I attached a screenshot of me just now logging into the show Mini via ARD while the show is running and launching the Sequencer.  I always run full screen but thought this would be a more interesting picture of the two worlds.

Happy to continue the dialog and collaborate with other Mac LOR'ers.

XmasMini2016.jpg

Edited by Wingrider

12 hours ago, B.Y.R.G. said:

No mac user here but a lot of the times when your audio isn't synced up its due to it not using a constant bit rate in the audio file of 128Kbps.

Yes, that chugging can happen on either Boot Camp or via Parallels.  I've been converting my songs to CBR and it went away for me.  Not emulator related for me or hardware with Boot Camp.

• The topic was locked