Light-O-Rama Forums

Ive just about had it with LOR / DMX

Laser Voodoo

As it be known that i am an accomplished stage concert lighting designer for 30 + years . I designed and and worked with some of the largest in music entertainment from Black eye peas to metallica and slayer to greatful dead and i am a custom laser show designer as well . Ive controlled lighting for huge arenas and events of up to 200,000 people. 

(My project):

I put up a 50 foot tree in my home town at city hall and snow machines all the way up and down the street on top of light posts and city buildings and is kind of a big deal here. all i am asking is that i can control the tree (regular xmas lights in 16 channels ) and 4 channels of dmx on a IDMX1000 for snow machines . you would think it would be simple. Boy was i wrong ....... LOR is by far the most difficult control that i have ever used in my life !!! I have been struggling to get the dmx up and running for weeks  . i am truely frustrated.

Turns out that the IDMX1000 interface that i got was defective. i sent it back and got a new one . Well I am still struggling to get it working!!!!! It now works on my utility but does not work on the sequence editor. You would think for the price of all this this stuff that it would be easy to run. If i cant do it , how is the newbies suppost to grasp it? Ive watched the youtubes and read the forums and used a bad ass hotrod of a computer even. in fact ive tried it on a couple computers now.

What am i doing wrong in the SE where its not working ? any ideas anyone ? 

I have to ask you since LOR does not have support even this close to xmas . 

Sounds like maybe the channels weren't configured properly. How did you add the channels into SE?

If you go into SE and right click on your very last channel, then click on "insert Device" then "Insert Device Below" a popup opens then in devices choose IDMX1000 , insert the unit ID and click ok and SE will add the channels and configure them.

5 hours ago, Laser Voodoo said:

As it be known that i am an accomplished stage concert lighting designer for 30 + years . I designed and and worked with some of the largest in music entertainment from Black eye peas to metallica and slayer to greatful dead and i am a custom laser show designer as well . Ive controlled lighting for huge arenas and events of up to 200,000 people. 

(My project):

I put up a 50 foot tree in my home town at city hall and snow machines all the way up and down the street on top of light posts and city buildings and is kind of a big deal here. all i am asking is that i can control the tree (regular xmas lights in 16 channels ) and 4 channels of dmx on a IDMX1000 for snow machines . you would think it would be simple. Boy was i wrong ....... LOR is by far the most difficult control that i have ever used in my life !!! I have been struggling to get the dmx up and running for weeks  . i am truely frustrated.

Turns out that the IDMX1000 interface that i got was defective. i sent it back and got a new one . Well I am still struggling to get it working!!!!! It now works on my utility but does not work on the sequence editor. You would think for the price of all this this stuff that it would be easy to run. If i cant do it , how is the newbies suppost to grasp it? Ive watched the youtubes and read the forums and used a bad ass hotrod of a computer even. in fact ive tried it on a couple computers now.

What am i doing wrong in the SE where its not working ? any ideas anyone ? 

As a former LD from 29 years ago working for 8 years as the director of Journey along with many years with

DB sound & Episode Lighting to Upstaging doing the same thing as you. I am too stuck on a many of this new

operating system that I get stuck on. Maybe should just buy a Whole Hog 2 and work it all from there.

• Like 1

As a former LD from 28 years ago working for 8 years as the director of Journey along with many years with

DB sound & Episode Lighting to Upstaging doing the same thing as you. I am too stuck on a many of this

new operating system that I get stuck on. Maybe should just buy a Whole Hog 2 and work it all from there.

• Like 1

as a former laser show owner and electronics engineer, I found the LOR iDMX extremely easy to use.. Not sure why you are having issues..

16 hours ago, Laser Voodoo said:

This is of course not true.  We are closed for the weekend, but our support is open 10A-4PM M-F EST for phone help, AND we answer help desk tickets through the weekend as time permits.  

1 hour ago, DevMike said:

This is of course not true.  We are closed for the weekend, but our support is open 10A-4PM M-F EST for phone help, AND we answer help desk tickets through the weekend as time permits.  

DevMike mistyped; "support". S/B :

"great support"

Just clarifying. 

12 hours ago, manitoutheos said:

As a former LD from 28 years ago working for 8 years as the director of Journey along with many years with

DB sound & Episode Lighting to Upstaging doing the same thing as you. I am too stuck on a many of this

new operating system that I get stuck on. Maybe should just buy a Whole Hog 2 and work it all from there.

So funny that you say that . thats exactly whays been saving my ass on this project is using another lighting desk. What I do like about lor is the mp3 scheduling option.

Btw its good to meet you !

Since you haven't said what you are doing in Sequence Editor it's hard to guess what might be wrong.

Within this thread, are discussions with some helpful info. The last thread has a video that explains how to control DMX through LOR using the IDMX100.

Alan...

Edited by default

Xlights! Download it and give it a try. Unlike Lor it's one program that does everything, instead of several different programs that don't function well together. By the way pixel editor is a bad copy of xlights and intensity files are something that they learned from xlights as well. With xlights you can get most the answers you need in either the xlights Forum, DIY Christmas, Falcon Christmas, and Australian Christmas lights forum. My breaking point was when I was spending more and more money for increasing my license level to still not get what I needed

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mega Arch said:

DevMike mistyped; "support". S/B :

"great support"

Just clarifying. 

Those hours of operation really cant work well with my schedule thats all.

12 hours ago, plasmadrive said:

as a former laser show owner and electronics engineer, I found the LOR iDMX extremely easy to use.. Not sure why you are having issues..

Geeze i sure hope i can figure this out eventually . i must say if it was easy for you , then why am i struggling? Ive even gone as far as starting from scratch. I just wish that the software would detect idmx1000, then pop up window with your universe options , click and automatically patch.  All these Unnecessary extra steps are kind of torturous for the user.

12 hours ago, plasmadrive said:

Geeze i sure hope i can figure this out eventually . i must say if it was easy for you , then why am i struggling? Ive even gone as far as starting from scratch. I just wish that the software would detect idmx1000, then pop up window with your universe options , click and automatically patch.  All these Unnecessary extra steps are kind of torturous for the user.

14 hours ago, manitoutheos said:

As a former LD from 29 years ago working for 8 years as the director of Journey along with many years with

DB sound & Episode Lighting to Upstaging doing the same thing as you. I am too stuck on a many of this new

operating system that I get stuck on. Maybe should just buy a Whole Hog 2 and work it all from there.

Btw Neal Schon and i have hung out and had a few conversations about you. Ive seen your work . i like what you do. Keep it up. 

Hey lets be buddies . im on fb too as Brian Friend . 

14 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

It doesn't automatically detect it but they are very easy to add as I described in my previous post.

Thank you mr. P......

Much respect to you kind sir and happy holidays.

In all due respect ive tried your comment . i will try again just for you. I am willing to do anthing that it takes to get this working. 

Btw please feel free to email me for direct conversation at laservoodoo@gmail.com. its just more direct thats all . and thank you so much for reaching out to me. 

:)

Keep in mind the idmx doesn't do more than 128 channels I think it is via regular LOR sequence commands.. I think you have to use the DMX commands in sequence editor after that.... At least that is what I think I remember.. I haven't had to program mind for a couple of years...

First year rgb, pixel, and DMX newbie here. Output your whole show in DMX and use a crossover cable to run your regular CTB16 controller in DMX. Easy peezy.

Z

1 hour ago, plasmadrive said:

Keep in mind the idmx doesn't do more than 128 channels I think it is via regular LOR sequence commands.. I think you have to use the DMX commands in sequence editor after that.... At least that is what I think I remember.. I haven't had to program mind for a couple of years...

I believe the limit you are thinking of is the intelligent channels limit.  You can only do twinkle, fades or shimmer on a limited number of channels at the same time.  I ran 140 channels off my IDMX for a number of years.