Light-O-Rama Forums

keep some channels always on?

rcktpwrd

Is there a way to keep some channels on and not have them turn off for the split second between sequences? I have the box checked to turn off all lights at the end of each sequence. We have a few channels with deer and other wire frame type stuff that we have on through the sequences. These channels are just set to 100% on in every sequence. It would be nice if they didn't flash off then back on between songs. We also have a group of 8 channels that run the same sequence in every song, it's a 'lake' in our yard, so the lights are sequenced to show motion in the 'water'.

We are currently using the Basic Plus level software.

32 minutes ago, Don said:

Don't check that box that says, "Turn off lights at end of sequence"

won't some of the other lights then stay on, even if it's only for a brief moment? I guess that might be better then the quick flash of darkness now...

Why waste channels on stuff that stays on the whole time?

Use a separate timer for the "0n 100% Time" props. This way they will be on in between sequences too.

You're making this way harder than you should.

Actually channels off is a much better effect then channels left on. People always think that the channels have to be on to get the wow factor.

5 hours ago, rcktpwrd said:

won't some of the other lights then stay on, even if it's only for a brief moment? I guess that might be better then the quick flash of darkness now...

If memory serves correctly (And it sometimes doesn't) that was added way back in the day when there were sometimes issues with the lights not going off at the very end of a sequence if the very last command was something other than 'off.' The check box forced an off command that made 100% sure the lights were off before the next sequence.

Or if you have extra channels not used......plug into there and use as animation sequence

....I use that for my 'Tune To' signs

• Like 1

I bet that is what he was trying to figure out.  How to keep several channels on such as the Tune To sign while the command for everything off gets sent.  I see sequences with the tune to sign on all the time and wondered about that myself.  I happen to use a different timer setup for my tune to sign, but next year I'm going to add it to a channel.  Just once or twice when I ran special hours for my shows based on school being out etc,, it was hard to keep the schedule and timer piston in sync..

Almost everything but LOR runs on the Smartthings platform in my home environment.  I'm still trying to figure out what device type handler to create in order to integrate LOR...  Anyone?  Anyone?  Buehler? :P

I have an animation sequence that turns on my Tune in Sign that is sequenced on the whole time.  In the Show Editor I have that sequence playing in the background.  It stays on the whole time.  I like the "Turn Off Lights at end of sequence" as I have had issues in the past of them not turning off at times.

• Like 1

So if I have the ''turn lights off at end of sequence' not checked some of the lights never turn off... Saw them on the next day when nothing should have been on. 

My license level doesn't allow for a background sequence. We currently have Basic Plus, most likely will be upgrading for next year to add more controllers to the mix. I suppose some of these things can be more easily done with more advanced license levels that allow startup, shutdown and background sequences.

If I create a basic animation sequence will it run concurrently with the musical sequences? We would then remove those channels sections from the musical sequences?

I'm trying to eliminate extra timers and such so everything in the display will go on and off at the same time every time. 

Sequences in the animation tab and musical tab will run at the same time. Thus it would be possible to place a 'background' type sequence in there so that it will do what you are wanting. Can't recall what oddities you might run into, but I'd think it would work. Just make sure the channels are not duplicated in your animation and musical sequences, so you are not sending conflicting commands.

• Like 2

• The topic was locked