Light-O-Rama Forums

Why cant i control each led?

brichi

So I just received the folowing

Pixie4

CCR2 smart strip 2811

pro software S4

the problem is no matter what I try, when I raise RGB1 on the test board in the utility or run testes from the sequencer, 3 pixels light up instead of 1, I cannot figure out how to control each individual pixel.

I went though tutorials adding RGB devices and so on in sequencer and when the show runs its always 3 pixels lightin up on 1 dmx ch instead of just 1

hop you guys can help, thanks!

That's how the CCR's work. Every video you've seen of CCR's are the same way. 1 RGB channel controls 3 pixels. Turn on channel 2 and you'll get pixels 4, 5 and 6.

The terms are confusing.  A RGB LED is not a pixel.   We use pixel to describe a controllable LED or Set of LEDs.   The LOR strips are 50 'Pixels'  which are controllable, and has 150 LEDS.  Dumb strips, which are just as long, are considered to be one long pixel. Specs here  http://store.lightorama.com/cocoriiic.html

I have many LOR CCRs with three LED pixels and they look completely controlled from the street.  

There are other kinds which can be found.  Other kinds will be labeled  RGB Strip 60 LEDs/m 60 Pixels/m  instead of  RGB Strip 30 LEDs/m 10 Pixels/m.  

There are very practical reasons for the three bulb sets.   The input voltage is 12V but LEDs are 5V.   Each three LED set shares the power so each gets the correct voltage.  

That is how it is supposed to be.

Each pixel is three LEDs.

I have had both, but I have now sold my 5v strips with individual LED control to others.

It is a little easier to sequence less channels, if you are doing it in the SE. Effects look about the same, and also, this probably depends on the strips, but I have found that they are brighter. If you are sequencing in the PE or XLights, or something else that generates the effect for you, the sequencing difference is irrelevant, and effects may be a tiny bit smoother.

And most importantly, they are cheaper.

wow, thank you so much for the info guys, I did assume 1 led meant 1 pixel which makes more sense now, I was confuse on how the pixie4 only controlled up to 100 pixels thinking to myself thats not that many but really it is actually 300 leds it can light up per connection, not 100 led's.

fortunately I'm all in testing stages and only bought 1 12v CCR, ill look into the 5v individual pixels maybe and a lover 5v power supply

I would highly recommend that you weigh the pros and cons of 12v and 5v and stick with one or the other. You can run both in the same network as long as you keep everything clearly marked but if not you are just asking for problems and a very expensive lesson.

thank you, I definitely will. Which is better as far as brightness, reliability, ease of use and so on? I like the strips cause its nice and clean but I also like with individual pixels that I can control 1 LED at a time in the pixel node 100 strings like this https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/DC12V-input-WS2811-pixel-node-100pcs-a-string-IP68-rated/701799_735789822.html

Both are bright, in many cases you will have to dial down the intensity on either type.

Personally I use all 12v as it is more forgiving with voltage drop. With 12v you can generally have longer extensions with less worry about the voltage drop and you can run more pixels before having to power inject.

General rule is 50 pixels for 5v and 100 pixels for 12v before needing power injection.

Pixel strips will never be described as reliable or easy to use.  They look great in many applications but they are delicate with a capital D.

Unless you enjoy running wires all over the place to inject power into the middle of pixel runs or props, avoid 5v.  As Mr. P stated, 12v are much more forgiving in every way.

• Like 1