Light-O-Rama Forums

Did it again!

Duke

Here's some pics of my second 48 channel enclosure with a how-to on the remote mounted LED's. I used convolute tubing to tidy up the wiring a bit and used the neutrals from the side mounted boards this time. I'm glad I only had to do 2 of these......... this year. :shock: Maybe a couple more next year? It would be really cool if LOR made 24, 32, 48 and 64 channel configurations don't ya think? (Hey Dan! Nod, nod, wink, wink) Also if they would provide a remote LED connection and maybe a multi-pin output with your choice of an add-on dongle box for regular duplex plugs. (SWEET!) Anyway, here's the pics.......
48channel-box-top-w-net.jpg
I removed the LAN cables to take the rest of the pics below

48channel-box-top-no-net.jpg

48channel-box-rear.jpg

Here how I modified the PC style board to add the remote mounted LED's.
This is a close-up of the previous top view photo. Look for the red and black wires coming from the resistors near the 18 pin header. I did this for each of the boards.

48channel-box-remote-howto.jpg

Some additional photos of the side mounted boards.

48channel-box-left.jpg
48channel-box-right.jpg
Bob

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Duke, awesome looking job. Was wondering whos box you used to mount everything?

edited: Found your Carton Box on another post. Thanks

• 1 month later...

hey duke, do you know the mouser part numbers for the connectors and associated pins? i looked for an hour one day and had some in my cart, but cleared my cookies and lost them, so i figured that other people and myself would benefit from knowing what they are ;)

Thanks!

I glade to see one of us is still busy with there projects :D... It looks great!!

Yes, I have been slacking...

I do have a good reason, I'll be moving into a our new house we had built at the end of June :)...

So right now all of my Xmas projects are on hold :( until we get all settled in...

Again, the enclosure looks great...

Take care,

NkySpike65

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Any update on a part number list on this? A wiring diagram on how you wired everything with combined neutrals would be nice.

Nice enclosures. Do you use break-out boxes at the light-side of the molex cables, or do your arches have molex connectors as well?

I've been thinking of doing fountain poles next year, and trying to figure out if I should go with many standard plugs at the bottom, or something like a molex. The tradeoff is easier setup but harder maintenance (testing, replacement...)

+1 on the request for remote LED capability. Maybe just a little 2-pin socket on the board that comes with the LED pre-installed into it. but then you could pull out the LED and add your own plug and external LED...

• 6 months later...

crackchecker wrote:

Why the need for the remote status led?

For me, I put them on mine because my front panels are screwed on (no hinges like ny-yankees' enclosures) and I also have 4 boards (64 channels) per enclosure, so wanted to be able to just look at the outside of the enclosure to see the status lights and know which board might not be receiving a signal without unscrewing 8 screws to remove the panel.

crackchecker wrote:

Why the need for the remote status led?

I have them all over the property, with padlocks on them. Its easyer to walk over in the direction of the box, and see what the light is doing, rather than, walking all the way over in the 2ft of snow, unlocking, and looking. I also have them attached to the fuses, too. So the one in the picture, has the red led and two amber leds, mounted to the side. so when I look around the side of my house at it, I can see the lights, with out walking all the way around. And if one of the amber leds, are out, than I know that side of the 8 channels, has a blown fuse. So now than I walk out with the fuse in hand, knowing what I need to do.

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

I also have them attached to the fuses, too. So the one in the picture, has the red led and two amber leds, mounted to the side.

Dang!! That's an excellent idea.

Guess if I start blowing fuses I will add them NEXT year!

jimswinder wrote:

ny_yankee_25 wrote:
I also have them attached to the fuses, too. So the one in the picture, has the red led and two amber leds, mounted to the side.

Dang!! That's an excellent idea.

Guess if I start blowing fuses I will add them NEXT year!

I don't blow alot of fuses, but it was a nice idea when I did it. It has help twice, then we had lot of rain, and when I had two many c9's on one side, once.

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

I don't blow alot of fuses, but it was a nice idea when I did it. It has help twice, then we had lot of rain, and when I had two many c9's on one side, once.

I don't think I will either (due to load) as probably 90% of my channels only have 1 string of LED's on them.

I have lights plugged in to my controllers, and I have shows running, so I know if part of the yard goes dark, I have a problem with that controller. Its only happened once, but it was sure easy to find.
:)

rstately wrote:

I have lights plugged in to my controllers, and I have shows running, so I know if part of the yard goes dark, I have a problem with that controller. Its only happened once, but it was sure easy to find.
:D

LOL...so you have LOTS of status LED's!!! :)

Yes,
I understand your reasoning having all those boards in a box with 8 screws.
But I have 10 Show time 1602's and now I'll have 6 pc completes. Its easy enough to find a problem and open the box.
I would like to build some custom boxes, but I know I'll spend the money for enclosures with doors.
I do like seeing people figure out all these things, so if the need ever comes up the how to info is there.

So thanks, and keep going! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking for a metal box for my LOR controllers. I'd like to find something more wide that tall to tuck up under an eve. Three controllers mounted side by side (left to right) is what I'd like to do. Maybe install outlets on the front of the box to plug the lights into instead of dangles. Weather proof perferable even though it will be under a porch roof and most like likely never see rain or snow.

Any ideas? Most what I see is more of a square instead of a rectangle.

They are not as common as vertical boxes, all you can do is keep watching
e-bay,
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rittal-Electrical-Panel-Box-Enclosure-12-H-x-24-W-x-8-D-/400137964149?cmd=ViewItem&pt=BI_Electrical_Equipment_Tools&hash=item5d2a14ca75#ht_2036wt_1139

Hey, Has anyone heard from Bob (Duke) who started this Thread?
And is Jeff Millard really no longer with us? I don't really follow PC or other forums, so I'm out of the loop.?