Light-O-Rama Forums

Made the news for wrong reasons

Dcroc

http://6abc.com/news/vandals-target-christmas-decorations-in-evesham-twp-/1649046/#videoplayer

The first house they show when they roll video is mine.  The second is my neighbors across the street.  I opened the door, and there was ABC news filming my house.  I figured that it was doing a segment on holiday lights.  Was shocked when I saw the story on the news.  The second house (my neighbors) actually had 2 airblowns stolen just a couple days before this, but I guess the news team didn't know, as they filmed their house, but didn't interview them.  Although it is always a thrill to see your lights on the news, this is not what you want the story to be about. Really sad that anyone would do such a thing. I am beyond words.

I have heard that witnesses saw a small group of 20 somethings getting in a car after one theft.  I'm kinda thinking it's between that, and neighbors that don't like the lights.  I had a neighbor around the corner cut her neighbors cords, but that was because it was June and they still had all their blowmolds and lights up and going.  They were very lazy slobs that were given the house, and totally let it go. Putting out the blowmolds and lights were the only thing they did to the house in the 3 years they had it. Never even  owed the lawn, and they had furniture that was headed to the curb that never made it past half way on the lawn. I think I may have cut the cords, too, if I lived next to that. I really don't understand why anyone would be upset about Chirstmas lights?  If you don't like them, don't ignore them. It's only a few weeks out of the year.  Pretty funny that I have never heard one complaint about my Halloween display.  There was a chruch a couple miles away that tried to sue a man for his Halloween display. They even showed up to protest his "celebration of the Devil's day".  However, they never complained about his outlandish Christmas display (which can be seen from space).

12 minutes ago, pikadroo said:

Who thinks they know what I am thinking right now?

Drew

String them up with Christmas lights when they find them? 

And do the orange cords really use more electricity

12 hours ago, Ebuechner said:

No but the orange would look good wrapped around their necks.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, they caught the guys.  I live is a "semi-well-to-do" neighborhood.  Middle Class.  However, this story makes me feel like I live in a ghetto.  Turns out these guys were swiping airblowns, and selling them in an actual ghetto for heroin.  Not just for themselves, but to sell in my neighborhood.  It has become a very scary world we live in.  I grew up in this neighborhood, and never heard of that drug ever entering it.  That was the drug that "really bad drug poeple" did.  I am so glad my kids turned out the way they did, and I don't have to worry about this with them. Hats off to our local police for a job well done.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dcroc said:

Well, they caught the guys.  I live is a "semi-well-to-do" neighborhood.  Middle Class.  However, this story makes me feel like I live in a ghetto.  Turns out these guys were swiping airblowns, and selling them in an actual ghetto for heroin.  Not just for themselves, but to sell in my neighborhood.  It has become a very scary world we live in.  I grew up in this neighborhood, and never heard of that drug ever entering it.  That was the drug that "really bad drug poeple" did.  I am so glad my kids turned out the way they did, and I don't have to worry about this with them. Hats off to our local police for a job well done.

Unfortunately this is common, as well as selling it at a local flea market for the cash (and then doing who knows what).  If you ever find you are missing something, hit the flea markets, don't bother driving around looking at your neighbors lawns.

Blowmolds and small to medium wireframes are the biggest theft targets, because they are easy to snatch and throw in a car, and are easy to sell.  Inflatables (unless they are small and un-tethered) usually are vandalized not stolen (no one is going to wait for one to deflate).  Cut cords are 99.9% of the time critters (bunnies or squirrels) and not vandals since no punk kids are riding around in cars with wire cutters -- that takes thought.  The other .1% are the neighbors who don't like your display.

41 minutes ago, DevMike said:

Cut cords are 99.9% of the time critters (bunnies or squirrels) and not vandals since no punk kids are riding around in cars with wire cutters -- that takes thought.  

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 6:32 PM, Ebuechner said:

No but Yellow Mamma down here in AL does!

Just now, Dcroc said:

Glad they got them, now hopefully your DA's will prosecute them!  Hopefully the price will make it a felony!

• The topic was locked