Light-O-Rama Forums

gen3MiniDirectoruMP3g3 and Pixel Tree Possible?

zaith24

We have 4 CTB16PC currently only using 3 that are controlled via the gen3MiniDirectoruMP3g3.

We just purchased the Pixel Tree Kit (16x25), I have been able to control the Pixel Tree strings with my computer. I have been unable to get the gen3MiniDirectorMP3g3 to control the PixelTree Strings at all. Is this possible to do? I ideally would connecct the PIXEL Tree to the last CTB16PC currently the 3rd Box and just add the PIXEL TREE sequence to our show.

What are my options if this is not possible to get this up and running a show for this XMAS?

Really confused, help?

I've never used the show players so maybe someone else will chime in. Make sure you are running in enhanced mode on the tree and your networks are correct put your three controllers on one network and the pixel tree on the other.

SPaschall

Sans Devices makes a ELOR that converts LOR protocol to E1.31 The mini will run it. 

18 hours ago, zaith24 said:

We have 4 CTB16PC currently only using 3 that are controlled via the gen3MiniDirectoruMP3g3.

We just purchased the Pixel Tree Kit (16x25), I have been able to control the Pixel Tree strings with my computer. I have been unable to get the gen3MiniDirectorMP3g3 to control the PixelTree Strings at all. Is this possible to do? I ideally would connecct the PIXEL Tree to the last CTB16PC currently the 3rd Box and just add the PIXEL TREE sequence to our show.

What are my options if this is not possible to get this up and running a show for this XMAS?

Really confused, help?

It's definitely possible...i have your exact setup and my minidirector CAN control the Pixel Tree.

(but currently only lights up when directly from the Sequence Editor...I can't get anything to work from the Pixel Editor)

A few things that I had to do yesterday, to get my other CTB16PC's & tree working:

1. Verify they're all "g3". (there is a sticker/text inside the controller boxes...towards the center of the boards)
  2. Put the network into "ELOR" mode. (Enhanced LOR)
  3. Making sure all of my controller ID's, including the one for the Pixel Tree, are all correct both inside the network configuration tool, as well as inside the Pixel Editor/Prop Definition.
  4. Making sure there are 8 consecutive Unit ID #'s open starting from the Pixel Tree 1st ID. (So if your pixel tree ID is #1 like mine shipped with...you need controller ID's 1-8 all reserved ONLY for the Pixel Tree...and then your other controllers would have to be on channels 9, etc.)

If all of your controllers are g3...they should work correctly on a single network with your Pixel Tree Kit. (using the g3 miniDirector)

You can do a little test by just setting up a few RGB channels for the Pixel Tree on the correct channel...and just turn some lights on/off...I had the first ~10 channels going...wasn't very exciting as they're all in the "back" of the tree...but it proved it worked and was receiving data from the minidirector when directly sequenced in the Sequence Editor.

I hope that helps!

FWIW - I have mine now fully working with just the mini-Director. (g3)

My issue was that I was previously importing an RGB sequence that was incorrect. (" DMX Mega Tree Version for 16 Intelligent Pixels ")

The correct one was "CCP Mega Tree Version for 8 Cosmic Color Pixels".

and as soon as I used that correct sequence...the pixel tree works like a CHAMP! (as well as all other 4 controllers)

So all are on a single network, set to "ELOR".

I'll be honest...I've been hacking away at all of this for ~4 days straight...12-16+ hour days.

and just now seeing my pixel tree working & correctly synchronized...

even though it's still the day time...

man...it's a beautiful sight!

(Not sure if it was worth those 4 painful days of...nearly every issue you can dream of...
but man...I'm super grateful everything is now up!)

Thanks to this forum...I appreciate all of you and the many posts I've consumed!

A few other points:

1) There is a document to help you get started using a Pixel Tree with the Pixel Editor:

http://www1.lightorama.com/PDF/PEwithPixelTree16x25-RevA.pdf

2) If you are using a mini-director, or the 2-port MP3 director, make sure you are using LOR Suite version 4.3.18. It contains significant improvements when creating SD cards for the directors when intensity data files are involved. You can download it from here:

http://www1.lightorama.com/sequencing-software-download/

3) When creating SD cards that involve intensity data files, use the Hardware Utility to write the cards (LOR MP3 tab), not Simple Show Builder.

Matt

Some awesome wins!!

I was only able to update to 4.3.18. (no firmware updates yet)

The pixel editor data WORKED when loading it in through the Hardware Utility.

Further...My show doesn't quite work at 500K...but 115K was an upgrade over what was happening straight through the simple show builder!
(so I'm guessing the simple show builder just sets the network to run at 57.6K or so)

I'm further guessing that 500K will work once I update all of the firmware!  This is SUPER exciting to see such an awesome improvement!

I'll keep everyone posted.

After updating all of the firmware of the controllers and of the uMP3g3 miniDirector...

My network won't quite work at 500K.

At 115K, using the hardware utility to load the SD card for the miniDirector, it works much better than the default 57.6K.

But even at 115K there is still some "stuttering" in the Pixel Tree at very complicated parts. (lots of lights, different colors, etc.)

So the Pixel Tree, or at least the sequences I'm running, really need to be running at a full 500K.
(the sequences are directly done in the SE...so it's possible if I did all through the Pixel Editor things would behave better at 115K...but I don't have the time to sequence that deeply this year.)

I've now connected it all to a borrowed laptop...and everything works AWESOME and PERFECT at 500K.

So looks like I'm joining the rest of you and starting to run my shows from a laptop vs. the miniDirector.
(and that little guy was awesome for me for my Halloween and Christmas shows...up until Mr. big shot RGB Pixel Tree entered the scene)
:)

Learning tons...having tons of fun...spending far too much time...and now fully addicted!

-- Jason

PS - Special thanks to Matt Brown for all of the extra help and patience! :)

18 hours ago, coachjc said:

After updating all of the firmware of the controllers and of the uMP3g3 miniDirector...

My network won't quite work at 500K.

At 115K, using the hardware utility to load the SD card for the miniDirector, it works much better than the default 57.6K.

But even at 115K there is still some "stuttering" in the Pixel Tree at very complicated parts. (lots of lights, different colors, etc.)

So the Pixel Tree, or at least the sequences I'm running, really need to be running at a full 500K.
(the sequences are directly done in the SE...so it's possible if I did all through the Pixel Editor things would behave better at 115K...but I don't have the time to sequence that deeply this year.)

I've now connected it all to a borrowed laptop...and everything works AWESOME and PERFECT at 500K.

So looks like I'm joining the rest of you and starting to run my shows from a laptop vs. the miniDirector.
(and that little guy was awesome for me for my Halloween and Christmas shows...up until Mr. big shot RGB Pixel Tree entered the scene)
:)

Learning tons...having tons of fun...spending far too much time...and now fully addicted!

-- Jason

PS - Special thanks to Matt Brown for all of the extra help and patience! :)

CORRECTION!...my miniDirector does now work at 500K!!  What forces the pixel tree to not work is if I check the "Output LOR Enhanced channels as well as LOR normal".
(The attached picture DOES get the network to correctly work at 500K...100% from only the miniDirector!)

I discovered this out of sheer panic when the laptop died in the middle of my show...so I scrambled to get the SD card & miniDirector back into action...

and I really wanted the Pixel Tree working at full speed.  I also noticed that it was NOT working even at 115K. (like I know I had it working previously...but I must've forgot to check that box because it's never worked with the different files that are written when you check the box in the pic.)

So now I have a full Pixel Tree Kit 16x25, and 3 other g3 controllers, all running at full 500K speeds off of a g3 miniDirector.

Capture.PNG

4 hours ago, coachjc said:

CORRECTION!...my miniDirector does now work at 500K!!  What forces the pixel tree to not work is if I check the "Output LOR Enhanced channels as well as LOR normal".
(The attached picture DOES get the network to correctly work at 500K...100% from only the miniDirector!)

I discovered this out of sheer panic when the laptop died in the middle of my show...so I scrambled to get the SD card & miniDirector back into action...

and I really wanted the Pixel Tree working at full speed.  I also noticed that it was NOT working even at 115K. (like I know I had it working previously...but I must've forgot to check that box because it's never worked with the different files that are written when you check the box in the pic.)

So now I have a full Pixel Tree Kit 16x25, and 3 other g3 controllers, all running at full 500K speeds off of a g3 miniDirector.

Capture.PNG

I spent some time on this myself and wrote down everything I learned from all this. I am cross linking to what I wrote in a separate thread.

• Like 1