Light-O-Rama Forums
George Simmons

Show Player decaching sequence files

Tonight, the Show Player started decaching 8 or 9 sequence files approximately every 30 minutes.  This is my ninth year watching the status box and I've never seen this before.

I use compressed files.

Why is it doing this?  So far I've noticed no performance issues with the show, but is there something I need to do or watch for going forward?

I am having the same issue.  I am playing two Musical songs and after each is played the player is decaching them which is causing a 41 second delay to reload the song.  I am running on a Windows 7 64 bit OS with i7 processor and 16gig of ram.  What can be done to fix this issue? 

Try turning off "load all songs before they are played" See if it helps.

Might be worth trying a reboot to clear out memory.

I had already changed the selection to not be "load all songs before they start".  I did reboot the computer and am still having the same issue the musical file is 836,000 meg file.  Below is an image showing the decaching.

The LOR software version that I am running is rev. 4.3.14  I see that 4.3.18 is available for download.  I will try downloading and installing the ver 4.3.18 and see if that makes any difference.

Decaching1.PNG

I upgraded to rev 4.3.18 and still seeing the same issues with the Decaching.  The music box dancer musical sequence is the largest file around 836,767 KB, Can-Can files size is 331,044 KB.

I do have the sequences to load as needed instead of all before playing.  I am seeing a 20 second delay to load Can-Can and 40 seconds to load Music Box Dancer.

I am running about 7,200 pixels on DMX Ethernet with four Pixcon16 controllers.

Computer is Windows 7 64 bit OS with i7 processor and 16gig of ram. Processor is running at 6% and ram is showing 17% used.

Any suggestions, the long loading delays is causing confusion with the people watching the show.

Decaching2.PNG

Setup1.PNG

Memory usage1.PNG

+1 on what George said. I see you are not using compressed files. Using compressed files should speed the load times a lot. The other one is if you are sequencing in SuperStar, exporting in intensity files rather than legacy format will speed things up (would require a Pro level license).

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

Thanks for the information.  I called tech support and got a huge learning about how I need to be using pixels. 

This year I added 4,600 brilliant bulbs on the roof to create a matrix 20 x 230, then added a mega tree of (64) 50 pixel strings which was an additional 3,200 pixels.  The LMS file went to a size of 836,767 KB.  Witch I quickly learned that the player can not handle. 

Working with Matt Brown with LOR I learned the when your sequences involve a lot of pixels you need to use the pixel editor to create an LID file that works in tandem with the LMS file.  In short all the channels for display props that are using pixels in the LMS file are move to the LID file and rendered.  This process took the 836,767 KB file down to 13,201 KB and the LID file was 53,977 KB   Matt sent me the following procedure that I attached below.  It is basically a four step process, but step 0 you must setup you props with the correct channel assignments.  My show is now work very fast and no lags at all. 

Thank You to everyone for your help.

LOR Import from Sequence Editor.pdf

Using an intensity file (from either SuperStar or Pixel Editor) solves most of the problem.  My .lms files are about 1K.  They have one channel (because you can't have zero).

It seems to only occur with one playlist/show.  I use three different shows this time of year, and two of them are just fine. 

One of the just fines is my full rotation - the other two are approximately half that size, and only one causes any issues.  I've still noticed no lag at all or any other performance issues.  But I very much want to know why it's happening before it DOES cause issues.

Decaching is a normal process depending on how many sequences are in the show and the size of the sequences. My shows have had to de-cache for several years now. If they didn't de-cache, LOR would run out of memory and crash.