Light-O-Rama Forums

CCR Controller and Ribbon Malfunctioning.

Willballz

I purchased 6 ccr ribbons with controllers from light o rama and after install I run the visualization of sequence and everything is in order.  When I play the show during the show the ccr ribbons start acting up and doing different things and sometimes part of it completing shutting down.  I have my house setup on z wave plugs so I can turn of all 6 ccrs at the same time which I did and tuned them back on during the song and all CCRs work fine.  I have to constantly unplug and plug back in the controllers in order to get them to get back on track.  Any advice on why this would be happening???

I've never heard of that before.  I'm dumb enough to not know what z-wave plugs are, but I'd try plugging the CCRs into an ordinary non-z-wave circuit and see it it stops happening.

unfortunately it was happening before I plugged them into a zwave plug.  I put them on a zwave plug so I could shut them off and on since the controllers are in the attic.  Also another thing that I noticed is the on some of the ccrs one or two pixels randomly will flash on and off.  Or one pixel will stay on until I restart the controller.  This is all happening when there are no sequences even playing

27 minutes ago, George Simmons said:

I've never heard of that before.  I'm dumb enough to not know what z-wave plugs are, but I'd try plugging the CCRs into an ordinary non-z-wave circuit and see it it stops happening.

I am assuming he means something along these lines. (i had to look up z-wave, never heard of it before)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Linear-PS15Z-2-Z-Wave-Plug-In-Remote-On-Off-Appliance-Module-Small-White-/291962826144?hash=item43fa572da0:g:uD8AAOSwImRYQbAS

I agree with George, plug them into a regular circuit, at least while sorting this issue out.

How are you running the controllers? A show pc or? Is it also plugged into a z-wave circuit?

Alan...

That is exactly what I am using to turn the controllers on and off.  Unfortunately the problem was happening before I hooked it up to that device.  Also occasionally the pixels hear and there will turn on and off on the CCRs.  And only 1 or 2 pixels per light strip will flash blue or green randomly.  Could this have anything to do with Cat 5 cables or the distance that I am running from controller to controller.  Starting with controller 1 which is linking to controller 2 is about 20 ft.  Then controller 2 is linked to controller 3 which is 40ft.  Then controller 3,4,5 and 6 are all within 10 feet of each other.  The first controller is plugged into my computer which is 100ft away.  Along the way I have connected 6 50W flood lights which add about another 100ft of cat 5 cable connecting all the flood lights before they make it into the house computer.  I am using a high speed dongle.  I have a 16 ccr tree using DMX with 16 universes and a star with 1 universe and 8 10 w flood lights using 1 universe and 4 arches using 4 universes.  Can anyone help as to why all my holidaycoro stuff functions perfectly using E1.31 conncection.  But my LOR CCRs are the only thing malfunctioning.  My 6 flood lights are all working flawlessly on LOR network.  Its only the 6 CCRs that are not working right  HELP HELP if you can think of antything, because throught LOR these things are not cheap to be malfunctioning  at 200 plus a setup for CCR STRIPS.  I probably shoud have just bouht everything through holiday coro and used E1.31 to control my system.  I am sure that there has to be a fix as all six controllers cant have the same problem

It wouldn't be the distance as LOR is good for 4,000 feet. Personally I would be looking at the cables you are using. What kind of cables do you use? Are they the store bought predetermined lengths? The Chinese made cables that you can buy in 25, 50 and 100 foot lengths are crap. They are copper clad aluminum (CCA) and not pure copper. The IEC will not certify any cat5e or cat6 cables if they have any aluminum in them.

I had issues this year as my network got bigger and I was using those store bought lengths. I had controllers that wouldn't be recognized and lights doing their own thing and I couldn't fix it no matter what I did. I finally decided to buy solid copper cat5e cable and made all my own cables and everything popped right in without any changes to my network.

Personally I am convinced that the bigger your network gets the better quality cables you need but that is just my experience with it.

• The topic was locked