Light-O-Rama Forums

Best way to handle large(r) numbers of channels

jtomason

So I'm about to incorporate some RGB elements into my existing sequences..  And you know what that means - lots more channels!

What's the best way to handle the influx?  Another track?  Groups?  Voodoo incantations?

To date, I have everything on one track, all together - but that is likely to become unwieldy with double the number of channels being added. 

Your advice and experience is most appreciated here as I prepare to embrace the madness. 

Groups, definitely use groups and expand them as you need to do so. It will give the master track a cleaner look and make things easier to find. Tracks are great for rearranging channels without messing up the master and taking the chance of screwing with your sequencing.

In the last year that I did any significant sequencing in the Sequenced Editor (2014), I had about 4,500 channels.  I made extensive use of both tracks and groups.  My normal configuration had 17 tracks, and everything was in groups within the tracks.  The reason for so many tracks was mostly to arrange the same channels in radically different orders to allow chases in different directions.  Mostly that related to my pixel star (12 of those tracks).  If you want the explanation of how I managed to need (or want) so many tracks and how I used them, I can give that detail.  The need for that essentially went away with S4. 

If you're looking for ease of expansion and also an error-free way to be able to instantly update sequences from year to year, you should use the Master Track sequence structure.

Basically, it requires one track where all your channels are listed, with NO OTHER PHYSICAL CHANGES other than adding new channels to the end (bottom) of the list each year.  No other changes means just that.  All channels remain as is - no deletions and no moving.

Then, you can copy (not duplicate) any and as many channels as you want to a second track where you can create Groups.   You can copy channels any number of times to create any number of groups as you wish in order to group colors, location, different display elements, anything.  Groups do everything tracks do, but they're quicker and easier to work with.  Quicker and easier by a factor of ten.

There's an extensive post (or three) in the Newbies forum describing the Master Track concept in a bit more detail.  You can also PM me for more details.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, George Simmons said:

If you're looking for ease of expansion and also an error-free way to be able to instantly update sequences from year to year, you should use the Master Track sequence structure.

Basically, it requires one track where all your channels are listed, with NO OTHER PHYSICAL CHANGES other than adding new channels to the end (bottom) of the list each year.  No other changes means just that.  All channels remain as is - no deletions and no moving.

Then, you can copy (not duplicate) any and as many channels as you want to a second track where you can create Groups.   You can copy channels any number of times to create any number of groups as you wish in order to group colors, location, different display elements, anything.  Groups do everything tracks do, but they're quicker and easier to work with.  Quicker and easier by a factor of ten.

There's an extensive post (or three) in the Newbies forum describing the Master Track concept in a bit more detail.  You can also PM me for more details.

And every time I program, I'm thankful you teach this in SequenceU. Saves me from having to buy new monitors all the time. (Wife says I have anger issues. I say I'm just passionate. )

• Like 1