Light-O-Rama Forums

Network cable access for enclosure?

BobinFL

Using the standard LOR box, what is the preferred way to get the network cables into the box and maintain water tight integrity? I have considered methods such as water-tight RJ45 feed-thru's but the only place I see to mount them would be on the top of the enclosure, or drilling hole thru the back of the box, take a RJ45 jumper cable, cut it in half, insert the two plugs into the board, feed the cable thru the holes, caulk and then fasten RG45 receptacles to the ends of the two cable. The main problem I see with this is how to waterproof the RJ45 connection outside the box. The last method I am considering is to pass the RJ45 cable into the box via the power cable grommet, up and over the electronics to the receptacles at the top. My only concern is running signal cables over the power and electronics and possible interference problem.

Suggestions and thoughts appreciated.

Bob

Attached files 151804=8827-DSCF0455 (Small).JPG

Bob, if your enclosure is mounted vertically, as most of us mount them, then you simply pass the CAT5 through the bottom, (near where the electrical pigtails emerge).

I use plastic cabinets that have pass throughs built in (old cable type boxes).

No weather proofing is needed/recommended, as long as you have the cables kept under the level of the enclosure, or use a drip loop if above the enclosure.

Greg

Using Cat5 cable, you really should not have any worries having the data cable close to the power inlets. I did that on all 5 of mine, and on 13 on another project. No issues. The show with 13 of them also had several hundred feet of cat5 running parallel to a bundle of 17 12/3 extension cords with no observed issues...

- Kevin

Bob, I was just wiring up one of the CTB16PC units today and saw on page 15-16 of the user manual, "You may have trouble feeding a booted Cat5e cable connector through the grommet. You may want to slice the larger grommet along its top side so you can more easily insert the data cables later." So that is another possibility for you to explore.

I avoid the problem by using phone cables instead of Cat5, which doesn't need nearly the room and works quite nicely.

Tim