Light-O-Rama Forums

Show's Background Animation not playing...

jamills706

I have a show that runs before and after my "real show" each evening....it simply plays a "promo" message on my matrix and turns on the house lights (strings on the eves).

Well - that's what it is supposed to do - but for some reason the background animation never comes on!!!

I don't understand why, as I can do a Show On Demand and run the Background animation only and it works just fine.

Anyone ever had this issue crop up with their shows?

Are you controlling this from a PC or a director?  If it's on a PC, what does the status display show?

On a PC and the show player looks to be running as it should - says the correct show is running.....and when the next show comes along in the schedule it works just fine (but doesn't include the eaves' lights - they are only on before and after the main event).

I mean by that - from all appearances, it is running and should be playing.

I have two shows, Promo-1 and Promo-2; 1 is for before the main event and 2 is for after. They have different graphic displays but both have the same background animation. The eaves work on Promo-2....just not on Promo-1.

Let's make sure I'm fully getting it.  The Promo-1 show has the static eves animation in the background tab of the show editor, and the matrix pre-show graphic in a sequence in the animation tab of the show editor.  The Promo-2 show has the same static eves animation in the background tab of the show editor, and the matrix post-show graphic in a sequence in the animation tab of the show editor. In both cases, the show status shows that the correct show is running.  Assuming all that is correct, two things to check on.

1)  What does the show status display for sequences running?  Does it show both sequences running, or only the matrix sequence?

2)  Is there the possibility that the post-show (only) matrix sequence includes the eves in the channel configuration and the eves are turned off in that sequence?

Well, yes...you've described it correctly....except the promo shows are in the musical tab not the animation tab....as they have a musical track included.

1) In both instances it shows that the background animation is running and the correct promo show is running.

2) Here is where my lack of knowledge may be showing....the background animation was created in the sequence editor with only the one channel in it for the eaves lights (Unit ID 1; Channel 9). And the Promo shows are created in SuperStar and exported to Sequence Editor. In neither of the tow promos do I turn on or off the eaves lights....but both of them do contain the eaves lights as a prop in the Visualizer. So - since they are both created the same way and only one of them works - I am not quite sure if I answered your 2nd question with enough info???????

Edited by jamills706

I'm not sure why one would work and the other would not, but the problem likely is due to the channel existing in both sequences that are running.  This will create conflicting commands.  as a quick test, you could modify the eves only sequence so that there is a change every few seconds.  For example, fade from 100% to 99%, and then back.  The lights should respond to whatever command was sent last, so the 100 > 99 > 100 every few seconds should be the "last" command most of the time.  You will likely still get a off command every cycle of the matrix sequence, but it will be an easy test that this is the problem.

BTW, are the matrix sequences exported as intensity files or in legacy format?

They are in legacy format.

The eaves lights say on them not to be dimmed - so I can't really do your test. :(

A dim from 100 to 99% is not going to bother any light.  But it's a command change, so the show player will send out the command.

ah - OK! Cool!

By the Way.. if I run any of those 3 shows in the Show On Demand option they work just fine alone.

1 hour ago, jamills706 said:

By the Way.. if I run any of those 3 shows in the Show On Demand option they work just fine alone

That would go along with the conflicting commands.

BTW, the better solution would be to create a visualization that does not have the one channels for the eves.  Use that for the promo sequences.

Made that change and in the Show On Demand feature those Promo Shows now both light the eaves - we'll see tonight!!!!! Thanks, again!